• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
What's amazing is how the mainstream media bought hook line and sinker into the ARU's superficial line that the core problem of our Super Rugby set-up was the 'drain' from the Rebels or Force when a much bigger potential financial and related disaster is brewing up nicely in the untouchable 'heartland' state of QLD.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wow! If true what an amazingly stupid decision. But looking on the bright side the Reds won't have to hire Lang park anymore. The crowds will easily fit into Ballymore to watch them lose..
On a side note surely Jason Gilmore will get the chop?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't know enough about him to judge, but I would have taken him over RG in a heart beat. What is it that means Stiles is better placed than RG? Nothing much I suspect.

I've always admired the Rebels.

Does anyone know any specifics about what is actually intended with the Totaliser? A Herbett role or the "CIHC that you have when you are not having a CIHC"? Or Knuckles mentor?

OTOH hand I'd expect he'd be a step up in experience from the current assistant coaching staff.

I would not read this as pushing us backward as we are kind of at rock bottom. (I cant accept that our W/L ratio could have been worse if we had had absolutely NO coaching staff at all.) Whether it would do anything to shift us above the nadir - I have no idea.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hey QLD, Victoria here.

You know, for a number of years, we've been importing a lot of players from your state. And, they've really liked it I think.

But you know what? We've felt a little bad about that. so, in the spirit of giving, we thought we'd give you a little gift back.

I give you.

View attachment 9444

Enjoy.

Article link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/65939e7a9356a1530ea9c69ee04872b7

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...3eTUAhVLfbwKHXoKAGwQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662

Reactions: Ash
T

TOCC

Interesting that Campbell Magnay has signed with Suntory

Magnay just needs to get out playing some actual rugby after a few injury ravaged seasons, no more rehab or pre-seasons, just time on the paddock... Top League season is offset to Super Rugby so it may be the best thing for him and the Reds.

Unlike the fllexi-contracts on offer to Wallabies like Foley and Folau, I actually think Flexi-contracts for non-Wallabies or even fringe Super Rugby players is a good thing. That's assuming Magnay is still signed for 2018.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gee you blokes are hard, this McGahan fella is a home grown Qlder and hasn't even started in his role there and you are death riding him. How about giving him a chance to succeed or not? I mean Stiles is obviously a great bloke but has just had insufficient support structures .........

AH shit I just can't do it. Only Wessells and Gibson are not part of the network and how many of those network appointed coaches have brought any results at all. Oh that's right one of them has managed to achieve the top ranking in the Australian conference.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
wouldn't be surprised if magnay is signed for us...but it's probably a budget deal unless we are trying actively trying to recruit an actual quality outside back....OOO LIKE DHP....

Sautia was allowed to have a stint in japan to get him back into things, could be the same thing.

T

TOCC

AH shit I just can't do it. Only Wessells and Gibson are not part of the network and how many of those network appointed coaches have brought any results at all. Oh that's right one of them has managed to achieve the top ranking in the Australian conference.

Well Gibson was a player under the current Tahs CEO, and Cron was also a player at Canterbury during the same time that the current Tahs CEO was the Canterbury S&C coach.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well Gibson was a player under the current Tahs CEO, and Cron was also a player at Canterbury during the same time that the current Tahs CEO was the Canterbury S&C coach.

Different network, and one that I would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to since it has actually achieved results over a long term and seems to require results in depth.

But point taken.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Brilliant move by the Reds to bring in McGahan (potentially). Why limit ourselves to the coach responsible for the worst defences in the NRC and Reds history when we can get the bloke responsible for the worst defence in Australian professional rugby history. Always aim to be #1.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
But they spent the majority of their developing years in the geopolitical boundaries of Queensland. Surely that gives them dramatic rugby IQ boost, makes up for a lack of success and makes up for a lack of experience? Who cares if they are hugely unsuccessful or inexperienced as a coaching group...they are QUEENSLANDERS, and OBVIOUSLY that is the key criteria for any professional appointment in a performance driven role, in a historically successful company, in a key consumer region and in a hugely competitive market.

Don't need to be good at your job, just be a good bloke with the right mates and it'll work out.

'Who you know, not what you know' & 'Right time, right place', having never been more relevant.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
But they spent the majority of their developing years in the geopolitical boundaries of Queensland. Surely that gives them dramatic rugby IQ boost, makes up for a lack of success and makes up for a lack of experience? Who cares if they are hugely unsuccessful or inexperienced as a coaching group.they are QUEENSLANDERS, and OBVIOUSLY that is the key criteria for any professional appointment in a performance driven role, in a historically successful company, in a key consumer region and in a hugely competitive market.

Don't need to be good at your job, just be a good bloke with the right mates and it'll work out.

'Who you know, not what you know' & 'Right time, right place', having never been more relevant.

It annoys me that this is exactly what the Reds are thinking.

I support the reds but if there was an actual QLD team I would probably not support them.

I am not from QLD but love the Reds and see them simply as a team/franchise based in QLD.

The Reds need to realise that they need to think as a pro team and not a traditional sports organisation, professionalism in recruiting by getting the best possible player available in every position as well as coaches no matter the birth place is what is needed.

Sadly it is the apparent recruitment of mates and players who have been loyal to Brisbane club rugby/GPS teams rather than actual ability that lays the foundation for poor performance.

The Reds are lucky they are the only show in town for Rugby fans, if they had to compete against another team they would last a season at best.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It annoys me that this is exactly what the Reds are thinking.

I support the reds but if there was an actual QLD team I would probably not support them.

I am not from QLD but love the Reds and see them simply as a team/franchise based in QLD.

The Reds need to realise that they need to think as a pro team and not a traditional sports organisation, professionalism in recruiting by getting the best possible player available in every position as well as coaches no matter the birth place is what is needed.

Sadly it is the apparent recruitment of mates and players who have been loyal to Brisbane club rugby/GPS teams rather than actual ability that lays the foundation for poor performance.

The Reds are lucky they are the only show in town for Rugby fans, if they had to compete against another team they would last a season at best.

Then again one of our best recent pickups and exciting prospects is L.Tui.....who is NSW. Our starting THP is from NSW and the backup is a Tongan import. So the reds aren't opposed to bringing in players from other places....but seem to turn that switch on and off depending on the rhetoric they choose to dispense.

Status
Not open for further replies.