• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Has anyone spotted Pettowa Paraka recently? He's not been at the club scene at all this year and I haven't heard anything about an injury.

EDIT: Released in the final week of preseason. Reds say a combination of personal issues and lack of performance. I hear his dad "is in a bit of trouble" (to put it mildly) with the law in PNG and Pettowa has returned to help out. With the legal situation the decision was made to keep it quiet.

Kirwan Sanday came in as the official replacement

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The King
Paraka had his OWN personal issues ,got the "spear" and nothing to do with rugby performance (although the final straw was "missing" first training run I believe)

Pretty grubby, kept quiet by the Reds and I agree with that.

Don't know if he has returned to PNG to assist Dad (who I heard was, like a Chief or royalty whatever) Hope it works out for all.

T

TOCC

Kirwan Sanday has grabbed the opportunity well in his absence, scrum has held up well when he has come on, not bad for his first year of professional rugby and his ability to play both sides of the scrum has no doubt helped his cause.

I rate Sanday over Vanzati who I think is still short of experience.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
The King
Paraka had his OWN personal issues ,got the "spear" and nothing to do with rugby performance (although the final straw was "missing" first training run I believe)

Pretty grubby, kept quiet by the Reds and I agree with that.

Don't know if he has returned to PNG to assist Dad (who I heard was, like a Chief or royalty whatever) Hope it works out for all.

Personal issues + lack of performance is the official Reds line. I called up a spokesperson to ask and that's what he told me!

From what google says, Paraka Snr was a big time lawyer but I've not seen anything claiming royalty

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Kirwan Sanday has actually been a good show to be honest. A good advertisement for the development pathway through QPR. He's been a strong performer for Easts for several years prior to getting an opportunity and looks technically very sound.

Vanzati however has a higher ceiling (and is a few years younger). I think the Reds are one real beast of a THP away from being a truly dominant scrummaging team. Everyone is hoping that tupou becomes that player.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well this thread is Reds 2018

This season (2017) has been a disappointing failure and particularly since we looked great on paper with some good forward signings.

Of those Higgers has been great, followed by George Smith. Overall Moore has been poor as has Douglas. Simmo whilst not playing the house down, has tyre marks all over him from the bus.

Cooper has been just OK and Frisby less than that. To me the only back that has been very good is Hunt. Kerevi for all his run metres is terrible at D and lacks basic skills. Now he is heavily marked and that probably contributes to pushing the pass and lack of ball security.

What can change for next year?
Slipper will be back and his workrate and maturity will serve the team well. Hopefully Rodda will improve substantially and fill Simmo's void and I also hope Douglas gets back to his abrasive best. Higgers will also be good but George is really starting to reach the age barrier (as is Moore).

The team still looks good on paper. Stules will have a year's experience as HC (although I'm unsure if even that will stand him in good stead). Both coach AND players need to put it together.

IF that team can play to it's paper potential then 2018 will be a much better year than 2017.

Here we go again - Go the Reds

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Here we go again - Go the Reds

I just cant help but go back to the coaching. The development paths, the broader squad, S&C, the team. But its not a popular discussion around here.

In the mean time there is no way that the W/L ratio is not effecting the players. The impending cull will have its toll too, though clearly nothing like in Melbourne/Perth.

I feel we've done OK in building the front row and the locks (though go back to my thoughts on coaching). Higgers has been a star, I like our development of Korczyk. Smith is solid and good but how long is this sustainable?

Frisby and Ready speak volumes to this team and it isnt good.

Dont agree withthe Quade knockers, though time out of the game and risky defence is a big issue (back to coaching). DP is a building star, Karevi is a keeper (so OK defence - back to coaching).

Hunt finally showing what he always promised.

It's half a team. Good. Subject to sorting out some heads.

And coaching.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Dru

the nest thing about a new year is that it brings optimism, justified or not.

Then reality of that optimism hits by the end of Round 4 or 5.

S2050

We have been in the 'next year it will be better' cycle since when, late 2012?

In truth, the Reds have been on an unaltered path of serious, sustained, unimproved decline since then.

Exceptionally poor, and consistently so, QRU decisions re coaching staff have been the major reason for this. The QRU is a demonstrably highly dysfunctional organisation propelled principally by the rugby-ignorant personal prejudices of its elite vs any considered, objective analysis of what is required to rebuild Reds success post Link.

It's only the nostalgia junkies clinging to our golden period that refuse to accept this sober truth and keep attempting to stigmatise others here whom have been guided more by facts and clear outcomes than by fan blindness.

2017 has not been 'disappointing', FFS that is laughably benign and PC - by any standard it's been an unmitigated disaster when calibrated to the QRU's own preseason hype, the 'high quality' assembled squad, the fanfare over new coaches, and the unwitting Reds' fans' expectations who sadly for them forked out hard-earned cash to see largely tripe, match-losing rugby week after week only then to be insultingly followed by the QRU excuses factory pumping incredible, less than honest explanations for regular failure out of the Ballymore war room.

Unless the obvious coaching calamity is quickly fixed coupled with serious change inside the QRU rugby management, squad recruitment, coaching and skills development system nothing whatever will change on-field in 2018 and accordingly the QRU will simply careen towards yet another financial and commercial catastrophe a la 2009 only this time the ARU may not be able to lend them $X millions to start a new life cycle all over again.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RH - agree with largely with your post.

I'll go and have another drink to deaden the pessimism

However, after several Bundy's my optimism will return, at least to Round 4 or 5

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm hoping that Stiles understands that the Ready and Gunn scenario says as much about Stiles as it does about Ready and Gunn. Hoping, but not holding my breath.

You dont need rocket science to work out that Ready and Gunn in and of themselves have little to do with the Reds success in 2017. Or its culture.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe stiles can front the media and talk about his own failings as coach of the Reds.

He is starting to have the MO of a politician by blaming others and seeking scapegoats.

I'm starting to think he is cultural poison.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe stiles can front the media and talk about his own failings as coach of the Reds.

He is starting to have the MO of a politician by blaming others and seeking scapegoats.

I'm starting to think he is cultural poison.

Yep, just scroll up to see the same thing with Paraka. Three players is what, 7% of the squad?

I know who my management would be chasing if 7% of my direct reports were having application and "personal" issues.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The sadist thing of all with the Reds is we had it. We had a good team and organizational culture, it generated buy in and performance from the playing group which transferred into results on the field. We had the hearts and minds of the wider community and the Reds brand was the talk of the town.

It is hard to reconcile that it has all been flushed down the toilet and we are back at the stagnant mediocrity we arose from.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The sadist thing of all with the Reds is we had it. We had a good team and organizational culture, it generated buy in and performance from the playing group which transferred into results on the field. We had the hearts and minds of the wider community and the Reds brand was the talk of the town.

It is hard to reconcile that it has all been flushed down the toilet and we are back at the stagnant mediocrity we arose from.

Ruggo - you say it well.

No hype, IMO it's a genuine tragedy to see where we have fallen back to. I would mind much less if it was due to floods, natural disasters, truly bad fortune, etc but this decline is all man-made and, largely, avoidable.

And the 2017 home crowd trends are now lower than 2008-09 levels which is doubly scary for the Reds'/QRU's future. The QRU is even worse when it starts panicking.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Better way in on the Reds 2018 thread.
Its going to suck.

I went all in for the 2017 ready to go and confidant. Been punched in the Nuts by the Reds. So for 2018, giving them nothing.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
The sadist thing of all with the Reds is we had it.

The Reds in this time were the envy of the Aussie rugby world. They genuinely looked like they finally got their shit together.

Then Richard Graham came along and unfortunately him being re-signed after a "worldwide search" really hurt them.

Not only for on field results, but players leaving due to lack of buy in and of course the rugby public losing faith in the system and the team.

Absolutely criminal and a real shame. We need a strong QLD..

Status
Not open for further replies.