• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Graham getting a foot in the door is the exact point it started going to shit. The lack of transparency and that old chestnut/cancer of self-entitlement made it's way back into the establishment. It is unforgivable that someone with a less than impressive track record be recruited and then anointed the next head coach when there were well credentialed and performing assistant coaches who were proving worthy of promotion. We all knew Link was on limited time as he was the natural successor to Deans as Wallaby coach. No wonder why Jim MacKay followed him as a Wallaby assistant coach. Why stay at the Reds when the old boys have stitched up a job for their mate.

Lots of talk about business and professional sport here. The complete contempt the QRU (and ARU in the broader context) has shown the public is a disgrace as they think of supporters as supporters, yet in the paradigm of business a smart operator would identify them as consumers. The consumers have abandoned the Reds in droves. These self-entitled fuckers can't have their cake and eat it too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lots of talk about business and professional sport here. The complete contempt the QRU (and ARU in the broader context) has shown the public is a disgrace as they think of supporters as supporters, yet in the paradigm of business a smart operator would identify them as consumers. The consumers have abandoned the Reds in droves. These self-entitled fuckers can't have their cake and eat it too.

Contempt for most stakeholders unfortunately, acknowledging "public" is all encompassing. For organisation Members (clubs and associations), paid members (fans), sponsors, staff etc.

It's a horror story.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Contempt for most stakeholders unfortunately, acknowledging "public" is all encompassing. For organisation Members (clubs and associations), paid members (fans), sponsors, staff etc.

It's a horror story.

Reg, have you heard whether there has been any signs of improvement with the new CEO? I had hoped that he would come in and start turning things around - I realise he can't fix everything straight away but as you note, that contempt for most stakeholders needs to be fixed fast.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, have you heard whether there has been any signs of improvement with the new CEO? I had hoped that he would come in and start turning things around - I realise he can't fix everything straight away but as you note, that contempt for most stakeholders needs to be fixed fast.

I known he's been active about re-engaging with the clubs and associations. The associations at least saw this as a positive I understand. I believe there are still some challenges around club level. Brothers, for one, have been very active in looking at new models and competitions and I don't think they feel completely supported.

There is still significant financial challenges and probably a realisation that things are worse than first thought.

However as you suggest there is some frustration around the traps that there has been no significant changes. There is some concern that Barker is not necessarily a 'big change guy' (which was Carmichael's domain) so may not be the man for the moment. At least that's what I've heard from a few areas.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Hey QLD, Victoria here.

You know, for a number of years, we've been importing a lot of players from your state. And, they've really liked it I think.

But you know what? We've felt a little bad about that. so, in the spirit of giving, we thought we'd give you a little gift back.

I give you...

tony mcgahan.jpg

Enjoy.

Article link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/65939e7a9356a1530ea9c69ee04872b7

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Could you give us a title to search with or perhaps a synopsis. Dont like where my thoughts are headed, but the only news I can find are the Totaliser leaving Rebels.
McGahan to Reds next year to support Stiles. No confirmation from the Reds or announcement on the rest of the coaching setup

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well there is a hole in the u20s someone can fill now that Cron has signed with the Tah's. A bit like being sent back to clubland I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Could you give us a title to search with or perhaps a synopsis. Dont like where my thoughts are headed, but the only news I can find are the Totaliser leaving Rebels.

Google the following and you should see a link to view the cached version "McGahan heading home in super coup for the Reds"

In any event, here's some snippets of interest.

He will be leaving the Rebels as the longest-serving and most successful coach in the club’s history

It is expected that McGahan will be given a title commensurate with his enormous experience

Certainly Stiles and McGahan are old friends and would be able to operate together without any friction. Indeed, they would often telephone each other on a Sunday morning throughout the season to compare notes with how their Super Rugby teams had performed the previous night. More often than not, they ended up consoling each other.

Just absolutely pathetic, nothing quite breeds success like hiring a bloke who knows how to lead a shambles of an organisation!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This is a new turn of sadism upon us all from the QRU.

I said above: the QRU is even worse when it's panicking (which by inference I concluded would be a state of Ballymore corporate mind soon forthcoming).

Nothing quite prepared me for this, however.

There was Reds' team and outcomes chaos when:

- Knuckles was appointed to try to bail out the QRU's failure par excellence, R Graham; this ended in such tears that Knuckles had to ultimately sue the QRU for fee payments, and

- The ridiculous Co-Head Coach model of 2016 was rolled out; nothing whatever improved on the field or inside the team and the inevitably politicised nature of this creaking double-headed edifice only detracted from dealing with squad and skill deficiencies that have cruelly bled on into 2017's new darkness

Now the QRU, fatally unable to learn a scintilla of lessons from its repetitive 'experimental' coaching set-ups as above (only magnified by its incapability to admit the making of major mistakes), has lurched into the ultimate folly that even I could not conceive they were capable of, namely:

You take a woefully inexperienced 2017 Reds coaching group lead by an HC seriously struggling for both internal and external credibility ('the players just aren't getting it right'), and on the edge of disaster should 2017's form translate into a 2018 version, and you add to it 'the QLD-er returning home' Totality Tony who singularly failed to add value to the Wallabies 2012-13 then was conveniently on-forwarded (again) by the ARU to the Rebels where for 4 years now he has delivered mostly mediocrity and in 2017 far worse.

And instead of admitting the coaching structure the QRU chose for 2017 was totally wrong (which a number of us predicted here the very moment it was announced with the usual QRU fanfare) and maybe firing or demoting Stiles, the QRU has announced 'Organisational Coaching Dysfunctionality Designed for Chaos and Confusion Mk III' in having Totality 'support and mentor' the hapless Stiles.

I mean FFS. What an obvious recipe for yet another set of poor-to-appallingly-poor team outcomes and Suncorp crowds of < 5,000 a game.

Who do the Assistant Coaches report to in this new 'structure'? How does a bluey like McGahan step back from direct interference and really, deep down wanting to do the HC job himself (inevitably). How does Stiles not increasingly feel threatened by Totality as 2018's financial and other pressures inevitably mount as they will/are? How will unclear and ambiguous instruction not filter down to the squad?

Moreover, where is the demonstrable coaching value that Totality is supposed to provide? Where is the evidence of this?

Or is the truth more like that the wildly poorly run QRU has an unstoppable death wish as it again repeats its unforgivable past calamities with a new double-headed version of the R Graham catastrophe with now it would seem no less than two 'good QLD rugby mates men' uniting in a utterly confused muddle to bring alleged 'double up' coaching wares to the Reds for which there is not a skerrick of evidence in support.

The QRU is now taking us into serious Monty Python territory and there is no escape bar the dying levity that might come from watching them in action as any other observational state - if ever one was a Reds fan - is likely to quickly induce catatonic depression.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Normally I would be like, hey, that's exactly what we need, someone with legitimate experience to help babysit the inexperienced QLD team, HOWEVER - he has done a fabulously poor job in Melbourne. It was complete whitewash saying he was resigning because of the pressure etc in Melbourne, he was absolutely going to get replaced. It is not a 'Major Coup', that would imply actively pursuing a very successful individual that was hard to get, not a Qlder who was jobless and is a mate of Stiles. That's like saying....Maranta was a major coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.