• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
So two kiwis coaching aus sides
Nah Brad's Oz as mate

8acbbb9f5befe88eccb254504cfbe84b.jpg

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I would be more concerned about the finances going forward if the team has another abysmal season. Winning fixes everything. Thorn is a winner. He knows what's required to win. Hopefully he'll get the 4" between the player's ears sorted then the skills, plan etc will start to work. When it comes together the payouts will look cheap.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My thoughts.
Stiles was hamstrung from the start with his assistants. The Thorn pissed off the S&C staff. The entire thing was a disaster and I don't think we could ever tell if Stiles was a decent coach or not. Or, for that matter, tell if the assistants could develop into top level coaches.
But I'm happy for Thorn and TT and crazy moon to have a go but I'm more than a little pissed at having to pay out yet another coach. How many of our coaches have we sacked in the last 15 years? Is it everyone except Link?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
What I tried to do with that post was to put my genuine thoughts on the topic down in a post. None of which I think are swayed by my relationship with Nick. I put it in as much to declare potential conflict, perceived at least. I am more concerned about the situation for the other reasons I made, removing Stiles himself from the situation.

That’s cool. I was not questioning your right to have an opinion on Stiles but merely pointing out that the people who defended him also probably know him on some personal level.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why not keep Stiles on as the set piece coach? If we are committed to paying him (and assuming he's big enough to accept the shift in roles), then use him for the skills he quite clearly has. Maybe that was offered - who knows.

I honestly don't know what to make of the Thorn appointment. history is littered with great players that couldn't make it as coaches. Could be that their instincts just gave them an edge that they were unaware of. Who knows.

The TT appointment from the Rebels is just outright bad.

The timing of the appointments seems odd - not suggestive of any planned process at all. To me it just looks like they've cobbled it together from thought bubbles at the time.

Bemusing.

From an outside position looking in, the board and higher operational staff at the QRU are incompetent.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Why not keep Stiles on as the set piece coach?

That could poison an already questionable gamble.

It ain't easy for a boss to be sacked and then go work for the former staffer that took his job – even in cases where the people involved have a good relationship. And suggestions are that it's not all roses there.

They've made the choice to go with Thorn, they need to back it 100%. Clean the slate as best they can. No half measures.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Gobsmacked would be a word that comes to mind, though I think Mooney being involved is bloody good!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
He does not have a good record this last year but I think it was dudded by the assistant coaches he had. Two completely inexperienced coaches who could provide Stiles minimal support. Compare that with what support Wessels was given in the West.

Reg do you know how much of a say NS had in picking his assistants?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts.
Stiles was hamstrung from the start with his assistants. The Thorn pissed off the S&C staff. The entire thing was a disaster and I don't think we could ever tell if Stiles was a decent coach or not. Or, for that matter, tell if the assistants could develop into top level coaches.
But I'm happy for Thorn and TT and crazy moon to have a go but I'm more than a little pissed at having to pay out yet another coach. How many of our coaches have we sacked in the last 15 years? Is it everyone except Link?
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I am concerned we are continually setting coaches up to fail.

I am hopeful that Brad Thorn's background as a bloke who took no short cuts will be the right direction for the Reds and Mooney, from what I've heard, is a guy who is very good with attack and junior player development but not so good at discipline and accountability so maybe they'll be a great foil for each other.

If it proves to be a success than fair play to the current admin, but we really do seem to be bumping along without any thought to a considered, long term strategy.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would be more concerned about the finances going forward if the team has another abysmal season. Winning fixes everything. Thorn is a winner. He knows what's required to win. Hopefully he'll get the 4" between the player's ears sorted then the skills, plan etc will start to work. When it comes together the payouts will look cheap.

Congrats to Thorn = I really hope his inexperience doesn't show through.

As others have said Thorn is a winner but what comes from that statement is the bloke ALWAYS played in champion teams. How he transfers that "knowledge" and "culture" will be seen by early next year.''

Glad to see Phil M. back.

I'm absolutely sure the players would be 100% behind the bloke.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
What a fiasco the last 5 years at Ballymore have been: this confection only adds to it.

I support the decision to replace Stiles but not with another coach who is completely untried. Adding TT into the mix, who has shown no ability to improve players since his return to Australian, is simply bizarre.

The 9th July 2011 may as well never have happened.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't support this move, seems desperate and smacks of a dream for instant gratification/success without putting in the effort or establishing a proper system.

Nick Stiles did a lot more for Brisbane City than Thorn has currently for QC (Quade Cooper). But alas, I'm a devoted Reds supporter so I'll throw my support behind whatever person is winning the musical chairs game of Head Coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My thoughts on this are pretty well clear and first I have to note I am friends with Stiles.

He does not have a good record this last year but I think it was dudded by the assistant coaches he had. Two completely inexperienced coaches who could provide Stiles minimal support. Compare that with what support Wessels was given in the West.

Thorn's experience is less that the above assistants. His only head coaching experience is this year with the QLD 20s and currently with QLD Country NRC.

Dudded by his assistants? I am 100% sure he would have had input on his assistants... Buck stops with the head coach - if things aren't going well he should have the balls to step in and change it. I am sure the assistants will now be searching for new positions but blaming them for Stiles demise is 100% a cop out.

T

TOCC

That’s cool. I was not questioning your right to have an opinion on Stiles but merely pointing out that the people who defended him also probably know him on some personal level.

No that's incorrect, I don't know him on a personal level and I'm defending Him, I've stated my reasons previously so won't go into them again..

T

TOCC

Dudded by his assistants? I am 100% sure he would have had input on his assistants. Buck stops with the head coach - if things aren't going well he should have the balls to step in and change it. I am sure the assistants will now be searching for new positions but blaming them for Stiles demise is 100% a cop out.

All I will say, is that those weren't the assistant coaches he would have had if organisational pressure and money hadn't been a factor..

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
All I will say, is that those weren't the assistant coaches he would have had if organisational pressure and money hadn't been a factor..

If so why are the able to sack him, promote someone else and bring in better assistants now? in a year they've had settle a law suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.