• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Comedy gold is the correct term. No disrespect for Thorn but this is just going to burn a potential good future coach...

The imbeciles at Ballymore are like Trump, they keep on giving

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This is a good day for Queensland rugby in my opinion.

We move on from a underperforming coach and put in place a coach who’s shown a lot of promise.

It’s now time for me to put my money where my mouth is and get the reds season tickets I said I would if they took the gamble on Brad Thorn.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agree it's a bit of a risk, but at least they've done some future planning and they have George Smith and Stephen Moore waiting in the wings to take over in a couple of years.

The only real descision to be made is if they bother getting any coaching experience into them at all before sacking Thorn and appointing one of them to HC

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
YOU LITTLE RIPPA. THIS IS A GREAT DAY FOR REDS RUGBY. I SHALL GET A MEMBERSHIP IN CELEBRATION.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Here's the title for all those looking to get behind the paywall. And some excerpt comedy gold in case anyone needed reminding of the last 4 years.

QUEENSLAND REDS SACK COACH NICK STILES FOR DUAL INTERNATIONAL BRAD THORN

"Stiles is contracted for 2018 so will have to be paid out, further raising questions about the QRU board’s operations.

This is the same organisation that appointed Richard Graham, then reappointed him after a “worldwide search” only to sack him.

They then brought in Stiles and Matt O’Connor as joint head coaches only to punt O’Connor but kept paying his contract.

They then brought in former Reds and Wallabies coach John Connolly as an adviser, only to discard him. Connolly then took the Reds to court for unfair termination and won $150,000.

Now they’re cutting adrift Stiles for rookie Thorn, placing immense pressure on the All Blacks legend to deliver quickly next year."

I guess the saving grace for Thorn if he doesn't get the required number of wins next year is that none of the Reds Board members would be game enough to confront him. Looks like he just might have a long tenure, at least as long as he wants.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My thoughts on this are pretty well clear and first I have to note I am friends with Stiles.

He does not have a good record this last year but I think it was dudded by the assistant coaches he had. Two completely inexperienced coaches who could provide Stiles minimal support. Compare that with what support Wessels was given in the West.

Thorn's experience is less that the above assistants. His only head coaching experience is this year with the QLD 20s and currently with QLD Country NRC.

In saying that the QLD Country team have looked very well coached so far and he seems to be getting the best out of some people.

My biggest issue is the financial thing. It's another coach we have to pay out fresh on the heels of Graham and Connolly. It would seem any increased $$ we get from the ARU will have to go directly to ex-coaches. I genuinely worry that we can't afford this. Assume Stiles is on a couple hundred grand a year, then that's perhaps Half a Million bucks between him and Knuckles the QRU have to pay out.

I am pleased to see Phil Mooney back in the fold. Of course remembering we had to pay him out too for breach of contract.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
While we are congradulating Thorn for confronting Stiles; can someone fill us in over the confrontation between Thorn and the S&C crew? Have they found new S&C willing to work with him?

I still dont understand what either TT or Mooney are meant to bring. Look, all the best to Thorn.

In the mean time QRU has huge questions over it. We were hearing that the players didnt have a problem with Stiles, they had a problem with HQ. How does this fit into that background?

Coaching appointments since Link have been consistently abysmal. Difficult at this stage not to adjudge it systemic executive incompetence.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
While we are congradulating Thorn for confronting Stiles; can someone fill us in over the confrontation between Thorn and the S&C crew? Have they found new S&C willing to work with him?

I still dont understand what either TT or Mooney are meant to bring. Look, all the best to Thorn.

In the mean time QRU has huge questions over it. We were hearing that the players didnt have a problem with Stiles, they had a problem with HQ. How does this fit into that background?

Coaching appointments since Link have been consistently abysmal. Difficult at this stage not to adjudge it systemic executive incompetence.

I think Mooney brings attack coaching skills - that certainly is what he seemed to develop in a young Reds team previously. While he wasn't ultimately successful as HC at the Reds (not many have), perhaps just having the responsibility for the attack/backs and not the overall team is exactly what he needs. Some people are better suited to being responsible for a particular role in an overall coaching team and this may well be something that Thorn knows from his time in the All Blacks - Wayne Smith, who had the ability to walk into a HC role anywhere chose to be part of the coaching team and not have the headache of the lead role. I am surprised by the Stiles sacking but hope that moving forward the Thorn/TT/Mooney combination can work - depends I guess on how good Thorn is at working with others and letting them do their role under his direction.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
We move on from a underperforming coach and put in place a coach who’s shown a lot of promise.

You could have said the exact same thing when Dick Graham was sacked and Stiles was appointed. Stiles had the some pedigree as Thorn and possibly a more 'accomplished' resume than Thorn does.

Thorn may very well be the next Sir Clive Woodward, but at this stage it's a huge risk to appoint him this year. IF he did well next year with his assignments and Stiles still floundered, then I agree he should be appointed.

It's just another smack in the face for Reds fans, it makes two world wide searches that only appointed the same people in the organisation. I have zero faith in the leadership of the QRU, they hardly inspire trust or portray that they have a direction on where they want to be.

The only saving grace is, having Phil back. He constant does great work developing the young talent in Qld. He's exactly the type of coach who should have been appointed with Stiles last year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There is hope of change. That is what I like about this move. Thorn is an inexperienced coach but he is worth having a punt on. This bloke only knows high quality professional environments and has success ingrained into him. To date he is showing the ability he can transfer that across to players under his watch. It bodes well. The Reds are littered with talent but the attitude falls short. Very clear there are culture issues at the Reds. Reds might be getting an inexperienced coach but they are getting a very experienced leader.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Does Thorn have the same attitude to S&C as Mick Byrne has been talking about lately? Maybe he's also a hard work and fitness man rather than putting much store in the scientific side of things.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
My thoughts on this are pretty well clear and first I have to note I am friends with Stiles.

I am not trying to have a dig at you here Reg but it needs to be pointed out that a lot of the Queensland rugby community were ready to defend Stiles and Richard Graham appointments needing more time because they were ingrained into the rugby community and some of the posters on this forum knew both guys on a personal level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am not trying to have a dig at you here Reg but it needs to be pointed out that a lot of the Queensland rugby community were ready to defend Stiles and Richard Graham appointments needing more time because they were ingrained into the rugby community and some of the posters on this forum knew both guys on a personal level.

One of the reasons I like G&GR so much is because of these connections. When I joined I quickly learned that I needed to think things through, there were experts here and high level individuals. Had to think my shit through before speaking. It does occasionally have me wondering at identities, especially where there is a consistency in support of officials where what I see seems obvious and to the contrary. Reg though, does not hide behind an alias and is open with his contacts. It is a valuable source of info here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

What I tried to do with that post was to put my genuine thoughts on the topic down in a post. None of which I think are swayed by my relationship with Nick. I put it in as much to declare potential conflict, perceived at least. I am more concerned about the situation for the other reasons I made, removing Stiles himself from the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.