• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If so why are the able to sack him, promote someone else and bring in better assistants now? in a year they've had settle a law suit.

A very good question. I assume they are relying on extra money from the ARU.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe the powers the be know something we don't, but i doubt it, this seems like a poor decision.. replacing a rookie coach with another rookie coach, this time supported by two coaches who both failed in their time as HC of Super Rugby teams.

I'd agree except even in his failure Mooney had the Reds attacking with some of the best Rugby seen in Australia during the pro era. Link used that to great effect and completed the side with the bits Mooney missed. I was always a bit sad Mooney didn't get another gig in Australia as an attack coach. Totality Tony has achieved two parts of SFA in any appointment in Australian Rugby and no player he has coached can be said to have developed greatly past a pretty standard level of achievement. Think Stirzacker and Debrezcinni, even after adjusting for their injury issues.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
A very good question. I assume they are relying on extra money from the ARU.

I don't actually think it will cost them too much. Thorn was already contracted gets a minor upgrade Stiles gets "re-assigned" within QRU refuses and they mutually part ways (which would reduce any settlement) Gilmore and Arnold get pushed into other roles too. Adding Mooney and McGahan is where the $$$$ are

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
No that's incorrect, I don't know him on a personal level and I'm defending Him, I've stated my reasons previously so won't go into them again..

Does not apply to everyone TOCC. I honestly can't see what you all saw in Stiles but I do respect your input. Lets agree to disagree and hope this move is for the best interests of Queensland Rugby.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
If so why are the able to sack him, promote someone else and bring in better assistants now? in a year they've had settle a law suit.
See the problem is you're assuming that there'd be some logic and consistency to Reds mgmt decisions.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think the money is that big of an issue when it comes to the Thorn hiring. I have no idea what a head coach costs but rather then pay for a entirely new head coach (which the reds couldn't afford to do) we are giving a top assistant a pay rise and extra duties.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Guys I don't know what the fuck to think. My optimistic side says that the Reds have got together some good leadership which is pulling together a good football department, my pessimistic side says it is more of the same shit from Ballymore.

Thorn, prove my better feelings right, have a blinder mate and turn us around.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thorn has less qualifications than Stiles, and absolutely zero successful top level coaching experience..........

If he somehow succeeds, then that would be a masterstroke from the Reds (and you know, Australian rugby could do with some decent coaches)....... but right now it just seems to be a massive clusterfuck, particularly one year after the worldwide search that landed Stiles.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thorn has less qualifications than Stiles, and absolutely zero successful top level coaching experience....

If he somehow succeeds, then that would be a masterstroke from the Reds... but right now it just seems to be a massive clusterfuck, particularly one year after the worldwide search that landed Stiles.

While you are not wrong, I've got a feeling the Reds will go better next season than this season just past.

Maybe it'll be timing in player development, returning on potential after so long. Or a bit of dumb luck (because moving up seems possible when there's not much room to go down).

I'm not seeing them win the comp, but Thorn could make some progress.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Thorn has less qualifications than Stiles, and absolutely zero successful top level coaching experience....

If he somehow succeeds, then that would be a masterstroke from the Reds (and you know, Australian rugby could do with some decent coaches)... but right now it just seems to be a massive clusterfuck, particularly one year after the worldwide search that landed Stiles.

Its a bit like a drunk playing darts, sooner or later throw enough and one'll hit the board, perhaps even the bullseye. Have some skill before getting pissed and the odds improve (though with me playing pool I improved as I drank up to a certain level).......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't actually think it will cost them too much. Thorn was already contracted gets a minor upgrade Stiles gets "re-assigned" within QRU refuses and they mutually part ways (which would reduce any settlement) Gilmore and Arnold get pushed into other roles too. Adding Mooney and McGahan is where the $$$$ are

It will cost then the full amount of Stiles's contract as he is contracted next year. So they are paying for 2 head coaches. Add to that the costs to pay out John Connolly for $150k plus legal costs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The fuck are QRU getting this money from, Reg?

Anyway, as I've said elsewhere today: Stiles had one of the best squads on paper and it didn't show on the field. Yes assistant coach rookies etc. as others pointed out to me.

However, after the rampaging debacle that was Dicky Graham, the QRU seem to have reached for the Eject Lever earlier rather than later.

What Thorn has done with the QLD Country guys in a short period of time is impressive. Their work into contact shows a hard edge and that has to count for something.

We'll see if he can take that to Super level with what are being touted as better support coaches.

T

TOCC

Why? They are in the same financial predicament they were 18months ago, but they've finally realised the risk of a rookie coaching package and acknowledged it's not an area they can cut costs in.

McGahan was recruited regardless of who the head coach was to be, that was agreed to months ago.

Like Stiles, you can be sure that Thorn didn't hand pick McGahan as has assistant coach.

T

TOCC

I'd agree except even in his failure Mooney had the Reds attacking with some of the best Rugby seen in Australia during the pro era. Link used that to great effect and completed the side with the bits Mooney missed. I was always a bit sad Mooney didn't get another gig in Australia as an attack coach. Totality Tony has achieved two parts of SFA in any appointment in Australian Rugby and no player he has coached can be said to have developed greatly past a pretty standard level of achievement. Think Stirzacker and Debrezcinni, even after adjusting for their injury issues.

Yes Mooney is the exception somewhat, I would by happy for him to return regardless of who the HC is. I still believe his coaching in 2009 laid the foundations for the Reds attacking rugby as saw in 2010-2012

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I guess it's done now so just have to sit back and see what it brings. It would really be nice for there to be something come from the reds lately to give something verging on a warm fuzzy feeling that we're moving un the direction we did in 2010-11 and not a continuation of 2013-17.
I mean the level of talent is always encouraging, it's just pretty well everyone not wearing a jersey and the impact they have on those that do as well as the business side of things.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Its a bit like a drunk playing darts, sooner or later throw enough and one'll hit the board, perhaps even the bullseye. Have some skill before getting pissed and the odds improve (though with me playing pool I improved as I drank up to a certain level)...
I'm a bit worried that we hit the bullseye with Mackenzie and we are now destined for a lengthy period of missing the board entirely and wrecking a set of quite reasonable darts.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="Pfitzy, post: 973787, member: 1501"What Thorn has done with the QLD Country guys in a short period of time is impressive. Their work into contact shows a hard edge and that has to count for something.
We'll see if he can take that to Super level with what are being touted as better support coaches.[/quote]

You do wonder why he wasn't just charged with bringing that same hard edge to the Reds forwards in an assistant role, at least for another 12 months.

Maybe he and Stiles couldn't work together and the Reds, being forced to make a choice, decided that they saw Thorn as a better long to prospect. Or maybe the admin just didn't think Stiles could come back from this years debacle and decided the cost of paying out a coach was relatively less than the cost of retaining an underperforming one.

One thing that struck me with the relevant appointments of Stiles & Wessels 12 months ago was that it seemed there was a considerably higher level of importance placed on providing Wessels with a quality support staff.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yes Mooney is the exception somewhat, I would by happy for him to return regardless of who the HC is. I still believe his coaching in 2009 laid the foundations for the Reds attacking rugby as saw in 2010-2012

Personally I think it wasn't Phil's coaching that lead to later success = far from it.

But the bloke should have been given more credit to the roster selection of players (particularly the youngsters) that matured under McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.