• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

And based on that outcome, it would seem players are better selected in positions which suits their strengths not their weaknesses.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think what Cheika wants with Duncan is a 2/5 who has the ability to interchange with the 10, like Beale and Foley and Hunt have done this season for the Wobs, so we have continuity to take opportunities better when the 10 is has taken the tackle and leverage that next phase.
Maybe Cheika has looked at his choice of backups for 10, to say the cupboard is bare is an understatement.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cheika needs to stay out of reds business.

We are already under-represented in a Warratah centric wallabies side.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)

8 Reds and 7 Waratahs in the squad if you count Tupou joining them. (And Simmons hasn't played for the Tahs yet)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think some people are getting a little hung-up with Paia'aua playing 10 in that game. I don't think anyone (who has actually watched him play this year) was expecting him to show the "complete 10" game, whatever that is. Given he has been on the fringe of the squad, I think it is more likely that coaches would have looked more at certain facets of his game with a broader view of where he is now, and what he can offer down the track, in a game where there was a fair bit of latitude. I don't believe it was a "try-out" for a squad position on the EOYT. I think he showed a lot in that game that would have pleased the coaching staff. I certainly don't believe for a minute he has harmed his chances in the future one iota. Probably quite the opposite.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Nah, this is wrong. Cheika needs to be sticking his fingers into all the pies and getting everyone on the same page regarding preferred player positions, required fitness levels, strategy etc.
Wallabies > Super teams. Worked for the All Blacks and it seems to have elevated the provincial teams as well.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
some things you can standardize; fitness levels, catch pass skills, kicking, tackle accuracy and gym work. However by making everyone play the same style of rugby would be silly and make our country narrow minded. All the Kiwis size have their own flavour to their rugby and this means they can bring different things to the table come all black time.

T

TOCC

Making the Reds play Duncan at 5/8 because Cheika doesn’t like Quade is overstepping the mark IMO. It weakens the team across multiple position just to provide an alternate option at Wallaby level. They are better off focusing their efforts improving the 5/8s they have now(Lance, Quade), and future 5/8s like Stewart, Mason, Adams, Goddard rather then stop-gap solutions which have no longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Making the Reds play Duncan at 5/8 because Cheika doesn’t like Quade is overstepping the mark IMO. It weakens the team across multiple position just to provide an alternate option at Wallaby level. They are better off focusing their efforts improving the 5/8s they have now(Lance, Quade), and future 5/8s like Stewart, Mason, Adams, Goddard rather then stop-gap solutions which have no longevity.

I very much doubt the directive is to drop Quade altogether and play Duncan 5/8 every match. It's probably more a long the lines of 'give him some minutes in 5/8' to supplement his time at 12.

T

TOCC

I very much doubt the directive is to drop Quade altogether and play Duncan 5/8 every match. It's probably more a long the lines of 'give him some minutes in 5/8' to supplement his time at 12.

And again, i personally would prefer someone like Hamish Stewart be provided with that development time at 5/8 rather then Duncan. It would better serve both the Reds and potentially the wallabies in the long term by having a player with the core skill set of a 5/8 playing at 5/8.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Weakening the team over multiple positions - just like at the Wallabies over the past 2 - 3 years.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
It looks almost certain that the Reds will not pick up any players from the West. Ready, Frisby and Douglas currently recieving plenty of interest from Japanese clubs post 2018 season. Thats all it is at the moment, interest.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There is a lot to like out of QLD Country. Hopefully the positives can be transferred across to the Reds, something Stiles failed to do with his City success.

Timu and Tupou look outstanding at NRC level.

Status
Not open for further replies.