• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well it sure is a good thing we have a coach that comes from that kiwi culture of success. People say he needs a few more years development as a coach but I think it is an advantage he take the helm without lingering in the piss weak vomit we call a pathway in Australian Rugby. People can procrastinate all they want about the measure of success for the Reds in 2018 but the real focus has to be one game at a time. That is how we build a successful season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gees Scrubber, with an attitude like that, you sure wouldn't be in my 23

Emu a lot of the optimism has been belted out of me with the Reds performances over the past few years. Therefore if we can belt the other Aussie teams then great and work on those cousy bros. Am very hopeful we'll get a win or 2 against them as well.

T

TOCC

Reds looking at Salesi Manu for 2018, but not locked In yet.

Rumours Shambeckler Vui may head to Brumbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rumours Shambeckler Vui may head to Brumbies.

Not a good move IMO....... The Brumbies already have Sio, Ala'alatoa, Alexander, Makin and Mayhew definitely signed...... possibly Sione too, and Lloyd is killing it in the NRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Are you being oblique USAR? Hasn't it been reported today the Cheika is happy with Beale and DP as his No 10 backups? Unfortunately, only Cheika can put an end to that discussion but seems to be adding fuel to the fire. And just how would Meakes' inclusion stop talk of DP at 10? Not like Meakes would be an option at 10.

The most sensible act Cheika could now take in regard to the 10 spot, given his apparent obstinacy concerning Quade, would be to bring Christian Lealiifano into the squad when it arrives in the UK.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm happy and unhappy.

It was a horrible way to treat Duncan (pick him there, give him hopes and then drop him), but I seriously believe we would be better suited to have Duncan develop as a 12.

If Cheika believes that Australia is already serviced well at 12, then Duncan's aim should be to overrake all those other 12s and make those other guys switch to other positions instead.

Knowingly or not, Cheika and Larkham are giving Thorn an enormous amount of motivation for his players in the coming years.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cheika said 10 coverage was Foley, Beale & Hodge

With Meakes in the squad all season, I suspect Duncan is essentially in the train on squad, he didn't do his chances any harm on the weekend, he played flat and square and bent his back in defense

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm happy and unhappy.

It was a horrible way to treat Duncan (pick him there, give him hopes and then drop him), but I seriously believe we would be better suited to have Duncan develop as a 12.

If Cheika believes that Australia is already serviced well at 12, then Duncan's aim should be to overrake all those other 12s and make those other guys switch to other positions instead.

Knowingly or not, Cheika and Larkham are giving Thorn an enormous amount of motivation for his players in the coming years.

I don't know. People have been screaming for us to take a pro-active approach to flyhalf development given we aren't naturally producing any. Duncan seems capable of becoming a great 10 to me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't know. People have been screaming for us to take a pro-active approach to flyhalf development given we aren't naturally producing any. Duncan seems capable of becoming a great 10 to me.

I think we (Wallabies) have a few crackers on the boil in Hamish Stewart, Mack Mason and Jack McGregor. I also think Tayler Adams is worth developing too, eligibility dependent.
I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) will play test rugby again and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks to get out of the last year of his contract. I'm not sure how Thorn's coaching will mesh with QC (Quade Cooper)'s approach.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I was totally underwhelmed. Hyped on here by reds fans so I had high expectations. I reckon he nearly cost Meakes' his touring spot.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) will play test rugby again and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks to get out of the last year of his contract. I'm not sure how Thorn's coaching will mesh with QC (Quade Cooper)'s approach.

It would be a real shame if QC (Quade Cooper) is done at International level. I really enjoyed watching him play for the Barbarians on the weekend. If you can't be bothered watching the whole post match pres conference, just watch this part from 8:15 for a few minutes.
Whatever your opinion of Alan Jones is, I can't help but feel he has the greatest understanding right now of how to coach Quade after only one week of dealing with him. I remember Link saying how impressive his knowledge of the game is and how hands on they allowed him to be with the running of the backs, when he first took over. Surprise, surprise we saw him play his best footy and we in turn were at our best as a unit. This bloke has been around the professional game for 10 years, give him some freedom in how to play the game. Would be great to see Thorn go, "I'll sort out this forward pack and give you front foot ball, and then you can run the show out the back". Any way, I'm forever hopeful that we haven't seen the best of QC (Quade Cooper).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree, unless there is a change of coach at Wallaby level I fear Quade has worn his last gold jersey. If I was him I’d be looking for a get out clause and heading off to the UK while he can still be classed an international (playing test rugby in the last 2 Year’s). I feel the premiership would love a player of his class and the crowds would appreciate him. Especially if he went to a club with an artificial pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Sham Vui > Manu

This stuff is starting to really get to me. Vui is out of a job, his whole family and club mates are here but he may not come home because
a) the Reds have a reputation as a shit place to improve and push ahead in your rugby career and

b) Cordingley (“List Manager”) is (I’ve heard) a difficult person for players and coaches to deal with.

Speculative c) we are approaching broke

Fuck

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Quade is done at test level as well.

I have really been impressed with Hamish Stewart in the NRC. Bloke is not afraid to run the ball hard into contact.

It would not surprise me one bit if Hamish gets some starts at 10, over Quade.

T

TOCC

I was totally underwhelmed. Hyped on here by reds fans so I had high expectations. I reckon he nearly cost Meakes' his touring spot.

Nah, there was no hyping by Reds fans about Duncan playing 10, that came from everyone else who had never seen him play but bought into Cheikas choice of him. Most of us Reds fans were critical of playing him out of position. If he did his chances any harm it’s because he isn’t a flyhalf, as Reds fans on here have been saying all along.

It’s comments like this which is why I was annoyed that Cheika picked him out of position to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.