• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So, I’m a bit bored so I thought I would try and provide a basis for discussion.

1. What is our best 23 (assuming everyone is fit)?

1. Slipper
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Tui
6. Higgers
7. Smith
8. Timu
9. Tuttle
10. Cooper
11. Nabuli
12. Paia’aua
13. Kerevi
14. Perese
15. Hunt
16. Ready
17. Fa’agese
18. ?? Maybe Vui
19. Douglas
20. Korczyk
21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. CFS

Pretty decent side. But then we had a pretty decent team this year. I certainly expected the Reds to do better than they did. Which brings me to discussion point 2 - why will we be better next year than this?

The obvious one is better coaching. And if that doesn’t prove to be the case, than we almost certainly won’t be any better. But, as critical as that is, I am going to leave that one.

So, aside from that here are my observations which, I hope, will translate to a much improved result next year -

1. Youngsters delivering - for some time we have had boom youngsters coming through who, for whatever reason, haven’t really delivered. But the new bunch seem to going ok. Rodda, Tui, Korczyk, Tuttle, Tupou & Perese are all showing signs of delivering on their promise. Paia’aua had a break out year. Timu & Stewart are looking good. Hopefully Ready & Frisby will get back on track.

2. More from the seniors - Quade didn’t have his best year and seemed hampered by injury. We lost Slipper early. Douglas just never fired. He’s not really a senior player, but I expected more from Nabuli. Kerevi’s defence was sub par. I don’t really expect all of these guys to turn it around but for me Cooper, Slipper & Kerevi are the keys. If they can give us a year of the standard of Hunt, Higgers & Smith did, we’ll win at least 3- 6 extra games on that alone.

3. Wallaby impact - maybe I’ll have to edit this post in two hours, but the Wallabies do seem to be genuinely improving. In particular the execution in attack. The players work rate has improved.

Anyway - enough from me. Interested to hear the thoughts of others.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree.

Kuridrani's time has come and gone. Ngamanu is an good player, looked decent in the super U20's but in his NRC time he's not really stood out. The decision to sign him over Banks (who did stand out in his NRC time) will go down in hindsight as one of the QRU's more serious blunders in recent history.

The Reds need a strong, scrummaging and tackling back up THP (though if all we can afford $$ wise is to bring home Sham Vui then that's not a bad option). If there was a chance to cut Maranta and bring in someone better that should be done.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know Frisby had a shocking 2017, but would you rule him out completely over Moses? I'd imagine him and Tuttle would be competing for the starting spot with Moses spending another year developing?
I wouldn’t rule that out at all. Frisby has lots of potential. But I just thought he seemed to have lost his way a bit more than Ready.

But that’s my perspective from about 600 klms away having never met the guy personally.

It would be nice to have 3 potential options pushing each other.

T

TOCC

Currently my pecking order for the halves would be:

1. Tuttle
2. Frisby
3. Sorovi

I like Tuttles game, doesn’t attack the line as much but seems to direct the play a bit better and have better control during phases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ready had a "reason" to drop his lip, valid or not depending on people's opinion blah blah.

Frisby had no half arguable reason for his absolute drop in form although any of those reasons reflect badly on the player.

Hopefully they both have got rid of their SOL and have stellar seasons starting in 2018

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
So, I’m a bit bored so I thought I would try and provide a basis for discussion.

1. What is our best 23 (assuming everyone is fit)?

1. Slipper
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Tui
6. Higgers
7. Smith
8. Timu
9. Tuttle
10. Cooper
11. Nabuli
12. Paia’aua
13. Kerevi
14. Perese
15. Hunt
16. Ready
17. Fa’agese
18. ?? Maybe Vui
19. Douglas
20. Korczyk
21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. CFS

Pretty decent side. But then we had a pretty decent team this year. I certainly expected the Reds to do better than they did. Which brings me to discussion point 2 - why will we be better next year than this?

The obvious one is better coaching. And if that doesn’t prove to be the case, than we almost certainly won’t be any better. But, as critical as that is, I am going to leave that one.

So, aside from that here are my observations which, I hope, will translate to a much improved result next year -

1. Youngsters delivering - for some time we have had boom youngsters coming through who, for whatever reason, haven’t really delivered. But the new bunch seem to going ok. Rodda, Tui, Korczyk, Tuttle, Tupou & Perese are all showing signs of delivering on their promise. Paia’aua had a break out year. Timu & Stewart are looking good. Hopefully Ready & Frisby will get back on track.

2. More from the seniors - Quade didn’t have his best year and seemed hampered by injury. We lost Slipper early. Douglas just never fired. He’s not really a senior player, but I expected more from Nabuli. Kerevi’s defence was sub par. I don’t really expect all of these guys to turn it around but for me Cooper, Slipper & Kerevi are the keys. If they can give us a year of the standard of Hunt, Higgers & Smith did, we’ll win at least 3- 6 extra games on that alone.

3. Wallaby impact - maybe I’ll have to edit this post in two hours, but the Wallabies do seem to be genuinely improving. In particular the execution in attack. The players work rate has improved.

Anyway - enough from me. Interested to hear the thoughts of others.

After watching Brisbane City’s second half performance, I don’t see the Reds getting any better next season.

Up 19-0 against club rugby standard players. Frisby, QC (Quade Cooper), Hunt played majority of the games minutes and to lose the way they did shows me the game controllers are still not delivering in key moments of the game, this time at NRC level.

Queensland Country are doing great but the Reds won’t get the rewards until those players are Super Rugby tested and consistently performing weekly (my prediction is in 3-4 seasons time, if they can keep them all).

They have not added anyone to the roster who can help the cause against any rival Australian team let alone SA & NZ franchises. I just don’t see where and how they can get better with the same yet a less experienced squad, unless 2011 Quade is back in business.

T

TOCC

After watching Brisbane City’s second half performance, I don’t see the Reds getting any better next season.

Up 19-0 against club rugby standard players. Frisby, QC (Quade Cooper), Hunt played majority of the games minutes and to lose the way they did shows me the game controllers are still not delivering in key moments of the game, this time at NRC level.

Queensland Country are doing great but the Reds won’t get the rewards until those players are Super Rugby tested and consistently performing weekly (my prediction is in 3-4 seasons time, if they can keep them all).

They have not added anyone to the roster who can help the cause against any rival Australian team let alone SA & NZ franchises. I just don’t see where and how they can get better with the same yet a less experienced squad, unless 2011 Quade is back in business.

From that Brisbane City team, only Quade and Karmichael are in the Reds 1st XV for 2018. Karmichael and Quade, with Ready, Douglas and Frisby on the bench.

Queensland Country have 4 or 5 from the 1st XV. Tuttle, Slipper, Timu, Tupou and Nabuli. I also think they will provide the bulk of the reserves in Fa’agase, Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Stewart, Dauganu, CFS

T

TOCC

A few of the Japanese Top League players back in Brisbane this week, and Wallabies squad still In town, can we expect a squad announcement soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You have a way with words, Reg

As long as those words aren't in a player's name at least ;)

Yeah, it's gonna be a long offseason.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah, it's gonna be a long offseason.

Naw, the Ashes start in Brisbane like two days after we play the Poms at Twikkers then the Rugby 10's is a few weeks later in Brisbane.

The only thing shorter than this years offseason will be how much time I get off work!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Knowing the Reds it will be around the Wednesday before the first game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Reds coaching staff has been updated and Shane Arnold's name no longer appears, its just Gilmore, McGahan and Thorn.. So guessing he has been moved on as well

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
yep, I think many of us have acknowledged the impact of Thorn's coaching. Many of us have also pointed to Stiles having the same success in 2014 with Brisbane City.

The only issue that matters today and that will matter from February 2018 and will determine whether Thorn and his team of ACs succeeds or fails (and ditto the interminably hapless QRU) is this: Can the 2018 Reds consistency beat Kiwi Super 18 teams? There is nothing else to really worry about - assuming that the objective is to properly revive the Reds and get them to become serious 2018 Finals contenders. Kiwi Super teams are so far ahead - in terms of skill, rugby fitness, match smarts etc - of any Aust NRC team that coaching success there has zero predictive validity to what will be fate-determining in Super Rugby.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The only issue that matters today and that will matter from February 2018 and will determine whether Thorn and his team of ACs succeeds or fails (and ditto the interminably hapless QRU) is this: Can the 2018 Reds consistency beat Kiwi Super 18 teams? There is nothing else to really worry about - assuming that the objective is to properly revive the Reds and get them to become serious 2018 Finals contenders. Kiwi Super teams are so far ahead - in terms of skill, rugby fitness, match smarts etc - of any Aust NRC team that coaching success there has zero predictive validity to what will be fate-determining in Super Rugby.

Maybe be a push to beat many NZ teams. I, for one would be happy to just beat every other Australian team as a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.