• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I obviously have a different understanding of the word hyped.

Edit: and I like Meakes, but I reckon he’ll be relieved to hear he can blame Paia’aua for his mistakes Saturday night.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any truth to the rumours that Cheika asked the Reds to play DP over Cooper at 10 next year?

Not sure why there's a push for DP at 10, his best position is currently 12 and it looks like that is his best position long term, plus while Cooper and Stewart are in the team the team is better served with DP at 12 and Hunt at fullback. Say what you will about Cooper, he's the best organiser and runner by a country mile of a backline in Australia.

I thought DP did OK in the Baabaas game with 2 nicely taken tries, but at the same time there was no cohesion or organisation in the Wallaby backline, and a lot of that has to fall on the 9 - 10 - 12.

T

TOCC

DP did well with the two tries, both from his running game which is well suited to 12, it’s his ball distribution that is lacking for a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My read is the same as yours Ash on both counts
- I can’t see the Reds waiting to move Paia’aua to 10 with Cooper and Stewart available.
- I thought Duncan did some good things but the lack of combination was evident and I’d add 13 into that.

Duncan had 2 weeks in camp with them. Possibly he’d never met Meakes or Phipps before then. Tough gig on all of them to play with cohesion in those circumstances.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And Phipps' performance at No 9 was also very underwhelming. Hard for the No 10 to look good when the defense knows with certainty that he will be getting the ball at first receiver every breakdown. Added to that of course is the fact that the No 10 can never be sure if the ball will be over or behind his head or at his ankles, but rarely in his midriff.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Edit: and I like Meakes, but I reckon he’ll be relieved to hear he can blame Paia’aua for his mistakes Saturday night.

I don't really get this comment from IS about Meakes. He received some average passes but he must have dropped the ball cold three times. Totally underwhelming game. I thought Paia'aua was one of the better players in the Wallabies backline (albeit most of them were pretty poor). He needs to be able to play first receiver if he wants to play there for the Wallabies. It's something he well and truly has over Meakes. He is less of a playmaker than Beale but probably moreso than Hodge and similar to Hunt. Clearly the Wallabies structure involves selecting a 12 who can play first receiver on a reasonably regular basis. I reckon he did his future Wallaby chances no harm in that performance.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s my take on it BH. As a straight 10 or a straight 12 I don’t think DP is in Wallabies frame. But as a player who plays 1 well and the other passably, in the exact style Cheika wants, he becomes an attractive bench option. I thought he may have toured for that reason, but I can’t imagine he is complaining about getting some brief experience. If his career never progresses further he can now say he has worn a Wallaby jersey.

Having said all of that, I still don’t see many chances for him to increase his experience at playing 10 at the Reds without injuries to both Cooper & Stewart. Very, very early days but I think there is at least some opportunity for Stewart to compete with DP for that utility role if he continues his progress.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No but I don't think we have much room or perhaps need for any?

Obviously we'd take DHP for fullback but he seems likely to elsewhere.

Coleman is special but we aren't short of locks.

Big Isi would have been awesome and would've been my #1 target.

After Dave Wessels of course.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I see Duncan has having a very high ceiling at 12, and a very moderate ceiling at 10.

His natural gifts and instincts appear very suited to 12, and believe that of left to be developed there he'll be a great of the game. He is the sort of 12 that will not require any accommodations for either - thereby simplifying the gameplans significantly. He has a higher ceiling than other 12s his age, IMO.

At 10, he will always need to override some of his natural instincts and that will always impact negatively on how far he can go.

Let him play 12 and be better than the rest of the 12s, I say.

Stop shoehorning people into roles and keep it simple. For once. Please.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Keep it simple? I’d agree wholeheartedly but we are talking Cheika. And whether Thorn has the balls that we hear boasted about, enough to ignore Cheika.

Otherwise we’ll be running DP at 10 and Hunt at 12 and say goodbye to Quade.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Keep it simple? I’d agree wholeheartedly but we are talking Cheika. And whether Thorn has the balls that we hear boasted about, enough to ignore Cheika.

Otherwise we’ll be running DP at 10 and Hunt at 12 and say goodbye to Quade.

Forgot. Korczyk benched and Tui to 6.

Have I missed any more of the Cheika’ Red reorganisation?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
thanks. We've got McKay on the podcast tonight. Will chat to him about that

Can I admit being a fan? Reg, you and Brett are pretty much the only comentators on Australian rugby that I can take seriously.

Doesn’t stop me losing faith with the ARU, and gradually in rugby. But you two are highlights.

<ahem>

Crack on, nothing to see here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see Duncan has having a very high ceiling at 12, and a very moderate ceiling at 10.

His natural gifts and instincts appear very suited to 12, and believe that of left to be developed there he'll be a great of the game. He is the sort of 12 that will not require any accommodations for either - thereby simplifying the gameplans significantly. He has a higher ceiling than other 12s his age, IMO.

At 10, he will always need to override some of his natural instincts and that will always impact negatively on how far he can go.

Let him play 12 and be better than the rest of the 12s, I say.

Stop shoehorning people into roles and keep it simple. For once. Please.

I think what Cheika wants with Duncan is a 2/5 who has the ability to interchange with the 10, like Beale and Foley and Hunt have done this season for the Wobs, so we have continuity to take opportunities better when the 10 is has taken the tackle and leverage that next phase.

T

TOCC

I think what Cheika wants with Duncan is a 2/5 who has the ability to interchange with the 10, like Beale and Foley and Hunt have done this season for the Wobs, so we have continuity to take opportunities better when the 10 is has taken the tackle and leverage that next phase.

And I want a fullback who can pass and link with his wingers on counterattack so maybe Folau should play 5/8 for the Tahs as well

Status
Not open for further replies.