• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Simmons would have been looking around overseas since Cheika started leaving him out. He has been a key guy for the Reds but can understand the intent to look at the young guys who are exciting.

Houston though, I could never understand recruiting him in the first place given the Reds had Smith. H. Tui and Higgers and we had offloaded Browning who was going well. Then once Houston came here he really never showed anything that stood out, despite the hype from the UK, I think his game suited the English style better. Another Cheika miss?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I can't help feel Simmons has been made a scape goat for the Reds woes. As a Reds fan, this pisses me off.

On the logic of the press release, why the hell have we not put Moore out to pasture when we have a promising future in Ready and Mafi? It simply isn't consistent. Moore has given very little and the signing of his was of questionable value to begin with.

From a strictly sentimental point of view, this is a bloke who left the Reds in time of need and now we accommodate his return back to Brisbane in the twilight of his career. By choice he gave the best years of his career to another franchise. Stuff him.

I also think Simmons has delivered more for the Reds than Styles so why hasn't Styles been punted out the door? The Reds have had a woeful season under him and there has been no clear sign of progress moving forward under his stewardship.

This decision has me thinking the Reds are going nowhere in a hurry when it comes to substantive progress. It's harsh but I'll call it. Styles is no more than Richard Graham the second.

Simmons should pursue offers in the UK. He has the technical attributes and the head down arse up non glamorous style they appreciate in tight five forwards. He would fetch a good price.

One way or the other, there is a pretty good lock out there on the market for those in need of one.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I can't help feel Simmons has been made a scape goat for the Reds woes. As a Reds fan, this pisses me off.

On the logic of the press release, why the hell have we not put Moore out to pasture when we have a promising future in Ready and Mafi? It simply isn't consistent. Moore has given very little and the signing of his was of questionable value to begin with.
Moore (and Styles) are still under contract, Simmons is not.

No room for sentimentality in a genuinnely pro setup, especially one with a salary cap

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I find it interesting that Simmo, who has been the subject of such derision for so long, is now being sympathised with.

All for the sake of another dig at the QRU it would seem.

Personally the QRU and ARU deserve a hell of a lot of criticism. But I think this is 100% the right call by Stiles. Off-contract and not performing to the level we need and hasn't for a couple of years. Better still we have talent coming through. It was a tough call, as cutting any 100 capper would be, but the right call.

I also hope Simmons stays in Australia as I think at 28 he can be of value to an organisation like the Rebels or Tahs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
No room for incompetence either. Fuck Styles off NOW. You want a pro setup, stop gifting critical positions to fucking amateurs.

Somebody made these strategically poor decisions in this 'pro' setup. Fuck their incompetent arses off too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I find it interesting that Simmo, who has been the subject of such derision for so long, is now being sympathised with.

All for the sake of another dig at the QRU it would seem.

This sentiment seems to me excessively defensive, Reg. It isn't a polemic to start with. Many have supported Simmons. Others have been critical. The more considered have moved between these two depending on performance and circumstances.

It's similar with the QRU. There are things I completely support there. And others not. at. all.

I don't think anti QRU sentiment on this is very strong at all given we just chopped a 100+ capper. Pretty muted really.

the QRU and ARU deserve a hell of a lot of criticism. But I think this is 100% the right call by Stiles. Off-contract and not performing to the level we need and hasn't for a couple of years. Better still we have talent coming through. It was a tough call, as cutting any 100 capper would be, but the right call.

I can only agree with you. More support will go to the Reds organisation from the fans as this is applied with consistency. Not a lot of evidence there right now, starting with how they approach the coaching team. Some harsh love and an appropriate announcement about the coaching performance, our needs going forward and some Simmons style consistency might just gain a few supporters.

also hope Simmons stays in Australia as I think at 28 he can be of value to an organisation like the Rebels or Tahs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmo stay in Aus, there are after all teams looking for locks. Personally, I would counsel him to look for more lucrative opportunities as reward for his many years of service. No reason he can't continue for many years and go out with some scheckles in his pocket.

T

TOCC

From a strictly sentimental point of view, this is a bloke who left the Reds in time of need and now we accommodate his return back to Brisbane in the twilight of his career. By choice he gave the best years of his career to another franchise. Stuff him.

I also think Simmons has delivered more for the Reds than Styles so why hasn't Styles been punted out the door? The Reds have had a woeful season under him and there has been no clear sign of progress moving forward under his stewardship.

This decision has me thinking the Reds are going nowhere in a hurry when it comes to substantive progress. It's harsh but I'll call it. Styles is no more than Richard Graham the second.

Simmons should pursue offers in the UK. He has the technical attributes and the head down arse up non glamorous style they appreciate in tight five forwards. He would fetch a good price.

One way or the other, there is a pretty good lock out there on the market for those in need of one.

I think the whole situation needs to be looked at pragmatically, Reds have Tui, Rodda and Douglas signed as locks for 2018.. Re-signing Simmons means one of Tui or Rodda would depart in 2018 for opportunity as they both can't start.

So, out of Tui and Rodda who leaves if it isn't Simmons?

T

TOCC

Just putting on aluminium foil hat here.

Simmons and Houston let go to free up cash for Will Genia.

my understanding of the way ARU top-up contracts and the how super rugby salary cap works, is that it wouldn't really make a difference, if Genia is on an ARU contract then the bulk of his wages would come from the ARU and Super Rugby clubs are capped at how much they can offer the players under that.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
my understanding of the way ARU top-up contracts and the how super rugby salary cap works, is that it wouldn't really make a difference, if Genia is on an ARU contract then the bulk of his wages would come from the ARU and Super Rugby clubs are capped at how much they can offer the players under that.
From memory the Reds stump up $150k. And their salary cap is creaking They just freed up enough for Genia.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
None of our locks have performed great.

Rodda was exceptional in his first hit out but IMO has been fairly poor since (or not dominant anyway). Tui just OK. Douglas has just been a waste of a spot. He was brought in as an "enforcer" and failed to bring his Tahs form of a few years ago anywhere near Ballymore.

Just hope Stiles, Cordingly and the others treat other underperformers the same when their contract is due to expire. If so, we'll be lucky to field 15 blokes on a matchday

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The problem you all have is that you are assuming that a goal or the Reds organisation is to have any type of on-field success.

The Reds exist simply to give employment to people who are unqualified to do anything else (Stiles, Gilmore, Cordingley etc) and to give men (and 1 woman) who are unhappily married a break from their spouse for a few hours everytime there is a board meeting or game to be watched from the hirers box.

Once you accept this, all the decisions made at Ballymore make perfect sense.

T

TOCC

Sorry thinker, the ARU and QRU deserve all the criticism they receive, but I think it still needs to be kept constructive, criticism or not.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From memory the Reds stump up $150k. And their salary cap is creaking They just freed up enough for Genia.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Sorry, but are you saying the deal is done, or that it's possible

T

TOCC

"But after weeks of negotiations Genia is finally locked in with Australian rugby and thanked his French club for their understanding.

“It was just a conversation that had to be had and we managed to come to an agreement that worked for both myself and Stade,” Genia said.

“Stade were very good about it which I was very thankful for"

So... Genia has been released by Stace Francais.. how does this play out, Frisby get released or does Genia go to somewhere else like th Rebels

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Until the weekend I was not at all interested and thought that if he was to return then anywhere but Reds. One game on last weekend and I've changed my mind. Completely. I don't think I've ever seen Will so "cut" and athletic looking.

Weren't there reports that Genia would return to anywhere in Aus - - - as long as it was Brisbane.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
"But after weeks of negotiations Genia is finally locked in with Australian rugby and thanked his French club for their understanding.

“It was just a conversation that had to be had and we managed to come to an agreement that worked for both myself and Stade,” Genia said.

“Stade were very good about it which I was very thankful for"

So. Genia has been released by Stace Francais.. how does this play out, Frisby get released or does Genia go to somewhere else like th Rebels

if he doesn't mind Melbourne then he should take a risk and sign for the Rebels for three years, if they get cut he gets his contract guaranteed by the ARU and then comes back to Brisbane with two wages.

Personally I dont think we should take him back unless it is on a very low wage to the Reds.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Personally I dont think we should take him back unless it is on a very low wage to the Reds.

Originally when the shit was hitting the fan and people were touting getting Genia back, I simply dismissed the idea as we had Frisby and Tuttle was developing nicely. But, as this season has gone on and our results have tanked along with Frisby seemingly disinterested in his performance, I become more open to the idea of bringing Will and his dodgy knees back to Brisbane.

If anyone should go to Melbourne, it should be Frisby and he can be Stirzaker's back up.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Bring Genia back to the Reds. If nothing else it will be good tutorage for Tuttle and Sorovi who are both showing good signs for the futur.

Status
Not open for further replies.