• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Assuming that is correct he will be a handy addition (assuming he gets a better run with the injury gods). Our depth is paper thin.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Hard to understand why Reds have not got a pre season game scheduled other than inter squad trial. Is this a cost saving or tactical? Seems like an opportunity lost to make some revenue and get a hit out.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Do they really make any money out of Trial matches? I also think there is little to be gained from running them at all.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My understanding is rural councils often throw a bit of cash their way when they're ran.

Yeah, I guess. But you still have to cart everything and everyone there. In the last few years, Queensland has had one trial at home and one away. Which disrupts preparation for the big show. I like the understated way things are happening up here and the search for players that aren't bigger than the team.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah, I guess. But you still have to cart everything and everyone there. In the last few years, Queensland has had one trial at home and one away. Which disrupts preparation for the big show. I like the understated way things are happening up here and the search for players that aren't bigger than the team.
The problem with understated lead in, is it can create a lack of interest by media and in turn customers. "Flying under the radar" don't pay the bills.

T

TOCC

Given the turnover in player and coaching ranks, I think a trial match against a high quality opposition would benefit them. Under Links reign he made a point of playing the Crusaders in trial matches, why, because he said the Crusaders were the best and to be the best he wanted his team playing the best.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have lived most of my rugby supporting days as a fan, first and foremost of Queensland, and only after that the Wallabies, thence the rest of Aus.

Whatever Reds HQ, and Brad, think they are targeting, one very specific result is that I do not personally think like this anymore.

Being an ex-pat, now living in NSW, in days gone by I delighted in flying to Bris for a few games each year. And wouldn't miss them here in Sydney.

I didn't do any of that last season, and won't this year either. It takes a hell of a lot to de-oxidise the "rusted-on" fan. But the QRU, aided now by a belligerent Brad, have worked miracles here. Not good ones.

As I have an interest in South Africa rugby, the first item on my bucket list, is to follow the Reds in a campaign across Africa. Get 'em going, Brad. I won't waste a dream when the planning looks like shit.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Given the turnover in player and coaching ranks, I think a trial match against a high quality opposition would benefit them. Under Links reign he made a point of playing the Crusaders in trial matches, why, because he said the Crusaders were the best and to be the best he wanted his team playing the best.

I know better than to continue arguing with people who believe they are right. Let's just say I'm falling on Brad Thorn's side of the trial match thing. I just can't see the point of letting everyone know what you've got and risking players to injury unnecessarily.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Your right, winning does. No one made a living out of winning trial matches.
Actually many sporting organizations make money from having their team play in front of people prepared to buy tickets to watch them play. This is after all a pro team. With only eight home games I would think any chance to create support and generate revenue is worthy of a professional franchise to target. That said only worth doing commercially if there is a profit. It’s always a tough call risking injury to players before season starts proper but injury just as likely on training paddock. I hope we win every game but if after a first game loss I hear “ first game and building combinations” a “bit rusty’ or we learnt a lot from our first game I will be very pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.