• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't mean to single you out LB but this is something I've read numerous times on Reds/Wallabies threads for the last few years at least.

As a Reds/Rugby fan I don't HAVE to be realistic at all. What ROI I get out of my investment into the game be it, emotional, physical, financial or whatever, is for me to evaluate alone. By all means, be critical etc of the franchise and it's administration but don't expect everyone else to want to get into that with you. That's just my 2c worth. I'll hop off my soap box now.

Take the soap with you so they stop dropping the pill ;)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So Issac Lucas at 10.. is he the next coming ? his been good in everything his played so far.. The Red's I see are a team looking for a 10 to drive them ?

What's everyones thoughts?, it be a tough ask but if your good enough your old enough ?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s terrible. Poor bugger. Really hard how some guys can’t catch a break with injury.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So Issac Lucas at 10.. is he the next coming ? his been good in everything his played so far.. The Red's I see are a team looking for a 10 to drive them ?

What's everyones thoughts?, it be a tough ask but if your good enough your old enough ?
Keep on sticking 20 year olds in there until one of them turns out to be good.

How to manage your playing list Queensland Reds style

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Horrifying financials for the QRU

https://amp.couriermail.com.au/spor...ad91395ef3c5849e452?__twitter_impression=true

The cash-strapped Queensland Rugby Union will report a $1.09 million loss primarily because property group Majella has failed to pay a seven-figure jersey sponsorship.

The black eye on the balance sheet for the QRU’s annual general meeting on March 30 is due mainly to a $1.3 million shortfall from Majella as a bad and doubtful debt.

The contract money still being paid to Quade Cooper, James Slipper and Karmichael Hunt while they play for other Super Rugby clubs can also be revealed.

The QRU was so intent on shifting the trio from Queensland Reds’ deals active for 2019 they were prepared to pay for it.

It has cost the Reds $366,000 to watch Cooper reignite his career for the 3-0 Melbourne Rebels, Hunt play solidly for the NSW Waratahs and Slipper do the same for the Brumbies.

That figure listed as onerous (future) player payments would particularly grate with a number of QRU members who yesterday received advice on the QRU’s financial position.

Just out of interest, what is the Equity figure for QRU now?, I mean this is all headline stuff, but if we had a Balance Sheet we could understand it better, it would be useful. Is QRU solvent? Serious question.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Personally gel, I think you need to change circles that you travel in!! While the Reds maybe a source of ridicule, I could never be hang with people that detest our great game, as I think it unfortunately says to me they not the right type of people!!:rolleyes:
I don't have a choice. It's the whole town.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Same article in the daily telegraph as Thorn re-sign: Kerevi will be heading to Japan next year after the world cup, and this lovely article for a Reds fan in Sydney.

Attachments

• IMG_20190315_082758.jpg
    IMG_20190315_082758.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 206

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I think Issac Lucas is the future for the Reds. I would prefer for him to be playing Aust 20's and Premier Rugby this year and then play for the Reds next season.

It's a real issue currently, the development of younger players. I feel we get it wrong more than we get it right.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Hopefully a case of good enough means old enough?

I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes, saw a lot of him at 10 as a schoolboy and he is an excitement machine and a genuine line threat, hopefully transfers through. Big step up I know, but based on what we have already seen of him this year , he is more than capable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hopefully a case of good enough means old enough?

I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes, saw a lot of him at 10 as a schoolboy and he is an excitement machine and a genuine line threat, hopefully transfers through. Big step up I know, but based on what we have already seen of him this year , he is more than capable.
Haven't we only seem him play fullback?

I don't recall him ever kicking. He put in some good tackles and carried the ball reasonably well. Neither of which will be his primary responsibilities as a 10.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
All of his high level schoolboy rugby , including Aussie Schoolboys , was as a 10.

Colts / U19 NRC and Prem grade as a 10/12.

Haven't seen him kick or his game management at a Super rugby level, but he is capable. Think Stewart at 15 will flick into first receiver regularly, probably more of a shared role in game management and clearances.

Don't have to wait long to find out.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's a real issue currently, the development of younger players. I feel we get it wrong more than we get it right.
Cause we don't sactually develop them. We shove them straight into the toughest domestic competition on the planet and then discard them 2 years later when they haven't immediately succeeded in favour of the next hope who we can ruin.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Cause we don't sactually develop them. We shove them straight into the toughest domestic competition on the planet and then discard them 2 years later when they haven't immediately succeeded in favour of the next hope who we can ruin.

It really is that simple - why cant the 'powers that be' see it.

Oh you forgot to add - play them mostly out of position for those 2 years.

BAG

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haven't we only seem him play fullback?

I don't recall him ever kicking. He put in some good tackles and carried the ball reasonably well. Neither of which will be his primary responsibilities as a 10.

Depends on the coach. We have Thorn remember, tackling ability of your 10 is the no. 1 prerequisite....