• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Any thoughts on whether the Reds should target some of the Sunwolves players (and coach) for the future?

We are probably too late by now but I hope the Reds are smart enough to jump on any opportunity that becomes available.

I think Parker would be a great pickup, especially if Stewart becomes a permanent 15.

Tony Brown would be a pretty good coach to pick up too, if there were changes to be made in that area too

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That 8/flanker looks the goods.. what’s his name Gunrher? Better talent IMO then ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or the other backrowers we got. From Brisbane Boys College, was recruited straight to Japanese professional rugby out of high school if I am not mistaken.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
That 8/flanker looks the goods.. what’s his name Gunrher? Better talent IMO then ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or the other backrowers we got. From Brisbane Boys College, was recruited straight to Japanese professional rugby out of high school if I am not mistaken.

Plays for Panasonic would have to take a big pay cut

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there's no way Thorn is going digging. He's not his bag (nor do we have money in our bag). QLDer Ben Gunter would be an option but I think he is now Japan qualified so will want to stay local.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorovi-Stewart were the starting halves against the Highlanders and the Crusaders. Last season, the Reds only started the same halves as the previous week seven times.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)

100% it's heartbreaking that Ben Gunter is seemingly headed towards playing for Japan at this year's World Cup. I stand corrected, but if we don't do something drastic soon to bring him home he will be Japanese eligible this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
100% it's heartbreaking that Ben Gunter is seemingly headed towards playing for Japan at this year's World Cup. I stand corrected, but if we don't do something drastic soon to bring him home he will be Japanese eligible this year.

Why would he come home? He's forging a good professional career and has the opportunity to play test rugby and possibly go to the RWC.

He'd take a pay cut to come home and may never play test rugby.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Born and raised in Australia for the first 18 years of his life so he's enjoyed Australia as home whilst a kid. On Instagram it seems like he enjoys engaging with Australian players that he has a connection with like Johnson-Holmes etc. Playing against the Reds would've been an eye-opener because he would have known a lot of them and surely he must think that he could just as easily have been one of them playing for the Reds after leaving Brisbane Boys College.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Born and raised in Australia for the first 18 years of his life so he's enjoyed Australia as home whilst a kid. On Instagram it seems like he enjoys engaging with Australian players that he has a connection with like Johnson-Holmes etc. Playing against the Reds would've been an eye-opener because he would have known a lot of them and surely he must think that he could just as easily have been one of them playing for the Reds after leaving Brisbane Boys College.

You're making it sound like a bad outcome for the guy if he plays test rugby for Japan and goes to the RWC.

Given the changes coming to test rugby he might get the opportunity to play annually against NZ, Australia, South Africa etc.

He made a choice to go and play professional rugby in Japan rather than being an amateur playing club rugby.

You'd have to think he likes doing what he's doing. He'd be giving up a lot to come back to Australia. Likewise why would any Australian side or RA pay overs to bring him home? It would be unlikely that he'd start for an Australian side anytime soon.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
You're making it sound like a bad outcome for the guy if he plays test rugby for Japan and goes to the RWC.

Given the changes coming to test rugby he might get the opportunity to play annually against NZ, Australia, South Africa etc.

He made a choice to go and play professional rugby in Japan rather than being an amateur playing club rugby.

You'd have to think he likes doing what he's doing. He'd be giving up a lot to come back to Australia. Likewise why would any Australian side or RA pay overs to bring him home? It would be unlikely that he'd start for an Australian side anytime soon.

True but I'm harping on it because I rate him incredibly highly. I watched him play for Panasonic against the Western Force last year and then again on the weekend and you have to be really impressed. Put a massive shot on Salakai-Loto. All the Hanigan haters out there should be donating to RA to bring him home so that they can have a 6 that they might like.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

I don't think it's very hard to grasp why people see it as a bad outcome playing for Japan over Australia. Given that he is born and raised in Australia, has the talent to play at least super rugby and most likely internationally for the wobs. Most likely grew up supporting the wobs. He would definitely take a pay cut but as any expat knows money isn't everything... job satisfaction, quality of life, family/friends, etc. He certainly could command a decent wage here plus wob top-ups he wouldn't be living rough. A few years playing international rugby for a top tier country then can go back to Japan or France at the end of his career. He would make a small fortune in that time if he performs well.

I would think ot would be a pretty straight forward decision for most oz born and raised players in his position. I wish him the best either way but hope RA are throwing a bit at him to get him here next year. Exactly the type of big body we have been missing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
has the talent to play at least super rugby and most likely internationally for the wobs. Most likely grew up supporting the wobs. He would definitely take a pay cut but as any expat knows money isn't everything. job satisfaction, quality of life, family/friends, etc. He certainly could command a decent wage here plus wob top-ups he wouldn't be living rough. .

Would he be likely to play for the Wallabies though? Would it be likely to happen anytime soon?

Our backrow stocks are looking pretty good at the moment. I just don't see anyone being in a position to offer him a substantial contract and certainly there wouldn't be anything coming from RA.

I get what you are both saying but I also don't think he is that good that he would command a starting Super Rugby spot let alone a test spot. He'd be in the mix with guys like ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Angus Cottrell, Rob Valetini, Rob Leota etc. none of which would be earning anywhere close to what Gunter can probably earn from Sunwolves/Wild Knights/Japan.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Would he be likely to play for the Wallabies though? Would it be likely to happen anytime soon?

Our backrow stocks are looking pretty good at the moment. I just don't see anyone being in a position to offer him a substantial contract and certainly there wouldn't be anything coming from RA.

I get what you are both saying but I also don't think he is that good that he would command a starting Super Rugby spot let alone a test spot. He'd be in the mix with guys like ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Angus Cottrell, Rob Valetini, Rob Leota etc. none of which would be earning anywhere close to what Gunter can probably earn from Sunwolves/Wild Knights/Japan.

I think he probably would be in the mix for the wobs after a season or 2 down here. Also being 6'4, 118kgs(10kgs more than most options and taller) and having the ability to move well, skillful & powerful puts him at least physically ahead of the other young guys his age we have coming through. It's a size and skillset we have sorely missed in the wobs backrow for quite some time.

I agree we have some good back rowers coming through... valetini being the most powerful/ball running option. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a toiler and hard worker. He gets through a fair bit or work and has more impact in the collision than say a Hanigan. This Gunter guy seems to have both plus a breakdown presence (think he got a pilfer/forced turnover or two on the weekend).

Putting my wob forward thinking hat on realistically pocock will be gone soon, hopper will be the 7 for a few years to come. I see the battle for 6/8 being between Valetini, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Dempsey and Isi. From what I've seen of this bloke I reckon he can at least match it with those fellas.

Personally I reckon he would be worth the investment, preferably to the reds with timu and higgers going that would free up a fair bit of cash... as well as finally having the banished 3 off the books. I can understand where you are coming from but I think he has got the ability and attributes to make it down here over the others.