• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I assume Kerevi will have to be rested soon?

That's a worry.

12 Duncan 13 CFS...

Agreed i thought about that yesterday as well. Most important player by far right now. Second most important is BPA after rewatching the team song. He should be captain and vice captain.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sidenote - I've always wondered how much time the All Blacks devote to haka practice. Is it one big session at the start of the season, or is it a weekly practice?

The idea of them all in leggings in a studio surrounded by mirrors, 'Come on Ardie, it's step, step, PIVOT, step'....

I think it’s in their DNA, genetic not environmental.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Direction was to try and rest them on away matches to minimise the impact of travel and time away.
I suspect the Sharks game will probable be where LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Kerevi get rested.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think it’s in their DNA, genetic not environmental.

It is interesting to observe the evolution in the haka. Way back when it was a perfunctory and slightly embarrassing shuffle. Now it is a slick, well choreograped extravaganza. This has not happened by accident. A lot of work has been put into it.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Did a little bit of research last night as for some reason I wanted to check if the Reds actually have a winning record at Suncorp Stadium.

Turns out they do but McKenzie & Thorn are the only coaches with win rates over 50%. And Thorn's at 5 & 4 now so needs a win on Sunday to stay in the "elite" group.

Was kind of amazed that all the other coaches combined only have one more win than Link but then when you think back to those seasons, it's more sad than amazing...

Reds at Suncorp.jpg

BrutalTruth

Bob McCowan (2)
The thing I like about Duncan at 12 is it lets the outside backs shine. Naivalu, Daugunu.. dangerous in space, I'm keen to see them have some more ball, even CFS will get more of a crack.

Worked well for country.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Thought the backline looked best with DP at 12 during the trials, but agree that hasn't been the case during the round games.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
The thing I like about Duncan at 12 is it lets the outside backs shine. Naivalu, Daugunu.. dangerous in space, I'm keen to see them have some more ball, even CFS will get more of a crack.

Worked well for country.

I was championing DP in the off season however he really hasn't shown anything in super so far. I was devastated when he signed for toulon as I believed he has the skillset to go on and be a legit international 12. Unfortunately his form has regressed significantly which is a crying shame as I agree with your comments. He could really open up space for our outside backs when playing well. I'm not sure if he needs more game time, a week off or if he has just subconsciously mentally departed already.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/...ing-list-of-wallabies-leaving-post-world-cup/

Well his recruitment has been a waste of time. I hope RA gave us something to sign him to get game time in case he is needed as a Wallaby.

Naivalu has been quite lazy as a winger in that he never appears to try to catch an opposing back who has made a break; doesn't do much follow up on kick & chase's, although at times he will go looking for action off his wing.
I rate him 5/10 and don't see him as a big loss. Maybe his heart just wasn't in it.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Naivalu has been quite lazy as a winger in that he never appears to try to catch an opposing back who has made a break; doesn't do much follow up on kick & chase's, although at times he will go looking for action off his wing.
I rate him 5/10 and don't see him as a big loss. Maybe his heart just wasn't in it.

Yet he keeps getting selected.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Naivalu is totally overrated I wouldn't be giving him a game at the Reds now that he is leaving. Daugunu was electric in the final minutes against the Sunwolves and surely has to be in the starting team now.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What i would pay for a prowling 2011 Digby running inside balls off (seemingly) every play.
I remember as a player being told the blind side winger should be the fittest/most buggered player in the game.
Thankful i was tight 5.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
are we able to drop him, wasn't his contract given to the Reds so he plays before the world cup?

Based on his form this season and this signing news I imagine there would be talks between QRU and ARU regarding his selection status. Cheikas selection policies at times have been baffling but the writing is on the wall that this bloke doesn't want to be in the Aussie setup so why keep persisting.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Has anyone explained the moment in the Sunwolves game where he decided to take a penalty kick for touch, and then shanked it and gave the ball back to them?

One of the stranger moments I've seen.