• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds should sign Jaye Thompson as the fullback for 2019.

Good young kiwi trained fullback / centre / wing playing for Geeps.

If you can't beat em..

Yes. As the 4th most important talent gathering exercise from the weekend.
1. Quade
2, Slipper
3. Hunt

and absolutely

4 Thompson

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t see it as likely. Sunshine Coast already have an outstanding GA in Steph Wood. It would be a massive waste to have both her and Maria in the same team.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Article in the Courier today puts McKay, Brian Smith and Scott Wisemantel all in the mix for the Reds assistant job.

At least there seems to be some quality candidates with extensive experience in high level coaching.
Matt O'Connor is available, again....

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t see it as likely. Sunshine Coast already have an outstanding GA in Steph Wood. It would be a massive waste to have both her and Maria in the same team.
Ok - I defer to the netball expert in my family here - my wife informs me that Caitlin Bassett has left the Lightening and filled the shooter spot at the Giants, and that Maria does often play GS.

In which case, Maria Folau to the Sunshine Coast (and, presumably Israel to the Reds) is a realistic move.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ok - I defer to the netball expert in my family here - my wife informs me that Caitlin Bassett has left the Lightening and filled the shooter spot at the Giants, and that Maria does often play GS.

In which case, Maria Folau to the Sunshine Coast (and, presumably Israel to the Reds) is a realistic move.

It might be a realistic move for Israel, but is it right for the Reds? No doubt there would be a connection between Thorn and Israel, and Israel seems highly respected by the PI community in general. Can we (how do we) afford it, and is it really a primary slot for us?

If Reds can resolve Quade, Hunt and Slipper, it might provide a new look with new look crowd appeal, but I don't think this is a clear cut good purchase.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There is definitely a free spot on our roster for a fullback and Israel would strengthen any team.

How much he would cost and whether we can afford it - I have no idea - but his comments seem to have suggested he will be highly influenced by where his wife lives/plays.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The Sunshine Coast Council are big backers of the Lightning. Perhaps the Reds can commit to playing pre-season trials and NRC games up there for a few years to help them out.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe already said here but I heard from a senior individual formerly
in the Reds employ (until a few months ago) that Israel has already signed onto the reds but there is a substantial conflict between some of Israel’s public comments and the views of senior people at St George and until some issues can be dealt with, the reds can’t announce without angering their major sponsor as they will go bankrupt without their $$. I’m told st George has threatened to pull sponsorship.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
in the Reds employ (until a few months ago) that Israel has already signed onto the reds but there is a substantial conflict between some of Israel’s public comments and the views of senior people at St George and until some issues can be dealt with, the reds can’t announce without angering their major sponsor as they will go bankrupt without their $$. I’m told st George has threatened to pull sponsorship.

Yep. St G very active in that space.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...NSLAND’S-LGBTQI-ALL-INCLUSIVE-RUGBY-TEAM.aspx

I’d love to have Izzy but I think a major sponsor like St G is more important.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is definitely a free spot on our roster for a fullback and Israel would strengthen any team.

How much he would cost and whether we can afford it - I have no idea - but his comments seem to have suggested he will be highly influenced by where his wife lives/plays.
We do need a fullback but is he really the one we want for the dollars he would demand?

I would prefer to spend money on someone who can kick the ball and pass both ways. He would be a great winger but I would rather import a complete 15 from overseas who can do all skills required.

He is an awesome player, dont get me wrong but I believe we need to have players with complete skills in the team if we are rebuilding.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

SCL have released a statement saying "We can confirm we have not engaged in any contracting discussions with Maria Folau and she is not signed to Sunshine Coast Lightning for the 2019 Super Netball season....".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/netba...t-heading-to-sunshine-coast-lightning-in-2019

If St G are indeed baulking at being associated with someone with Folau's shall we say Old Testament views on certain matters, I can't see how he's gunna end up in SEQ. Like Reg says, Reds need St G's money more than they need anything Folau would bring them.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If this is true, what options realistically do the Reds have.

If the contract is already signed then I don’t see how they would get out of it without another costly payout.