• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I suspect one of the specific problems they are trying to address is that there are not very many indigenous people out there with a "huge rugby background" or "sports admin experience"

I guess my retort would be do you chuck some random nuffie in there and hope for the best or identify someone with potential and create a pathway, that involves sport admin and creates a rugby background, for them to reach board member status. Maybe I’m overthinking it, time will tell!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I guess my retort would be do you chuck some random nuffie in there and hope for the best or identify someone with potential and create a pathway, that involves sport admin and creates a rugby background, for them to reach board member status. Maybe I’m overthinking it, time will tell!

True - I guess you could do things like get them on your advisory councils and involve them with your programs ;)

He is also a current member of the Queensland Rugby Union’s Indigenous Advisory Council.
long-term relationship with the Queensland Rugby Union Indigenous Program

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do you really want/need the POV of people that don't really seem to have a huge rugby background? Surely there are people with similar skill sets that are more rugby inclined? Or does it really not matter at all?

In saying that i do see some merit for someone like Jane, however Selwyn just seems to be about education and policy within the aboriginal community which in the nicest possible way doesn't seem like a particularly valuable skill set.

the guys has been instrumental in the Reds highly successful indigenous program for a number of years (which has created a heap of govt funds). He brings immense govt relations skills and contacts at both federal and state and that is something that has been lacking at the QRU since forever.

In short he is rugby inclined and has a much sort after skill previously not present on the Board. A very good appointment.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
the guys has been instrumental in the Reds highly successful indigenous program for a number of years (which has created a heap of govt funds). He brings immense govt relations skills and contacts at both federal and state and that is something that has been lacking at the QRU since forever.

In short he is rugby inclined and has a much sort after skill previously not present on the Board. A very good appointment.

There we have it. I know understand.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

You write a better presser than QRU does.....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i want to ask the same question. Im a bit ignorant, what makes a good board member? Neither of these people really seem to have a huge amount of rugby background, is that totally irrelevant? In my mind you want people in those roles who really know their rugby and have skills that contribute to the overall organisation but am i just totally skewered in my thinking?

Turn it around.

If you appoint another person who played for the Reds, works in a finance role at a bank etc. and they went to a GPS school in Brisbane, what do they add to the board that already includes several people like that?

The problem with most boards in general in business and otherwise is they lack diversity. They tend to feature a whole bunch of people with similar life experience from similar privileged backgrounds.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Turn it around.

If you appoint another person who played for the Reds, works in a finance role at a bank etc. and they went to a GPS school in Brisbane, what do they add to the board that already includes several people like that?

The problem with most boards in general in business and otherwise is they lack diversity. They tend to feature a whole bunch of people with similar life experience from similar privileged backgrounds.

Personally I think the place needs some experience in real world change management.

Bigger concern is that based on results, review the the board members who have been serving over the say 5 years - and it's hard to conclude they have been doing well. The shape up or ship out philosophy has surely as much relevance to the board as it does the playing group.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Personally I think the place needs some experience in real world change management.

A glimpse into his Professional portal demonstrates he meets that criteria; https://www.linkedin.com/in/selwyn-button-01378088/?originalSubdomain=au

I really think you're grasping at straws here. There's 8 members on the QLD Board and you're getting upset about the one guy who doesn't come from the standard background. I'd dare say, his extensive experience with the rural and TI public is exactly what the Reds and the ARU need if they want to develop the game outside of the GPS Schhools.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
exactly what the Reds and the ARU need if they want to develop the game outside of the GPS Schhools.

Changing tack on this (not wanting to talk about boards) - does anyone know what the plans are from RA/QRU to actually develop the game outside of GPS schools? From my experience with junior rugby in Brisbane, there are a lot of kids who go to state primary schools playing the game - some of them end up at GPS schools for high school, some end up at Catholic schools, and plenty of others end up in state high schools. Having taught in state high schools there is plenty of interest there from students, but the schools need someone external to come in and provide the resources - coaching/refereeing etc, not just try to generate interest and then put it on the teachers to run it. I'd like to know what, if anything, is being done to drive that in the state system, or is it just a case of not enough dollars?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Bigger concern is that based on results, review the the board members who have been serving over the say 5 years - and it's hard to conclude they have been doing well. The shape up or ship out philosophy has surely as much relevance to the board as it does the playing group.

You're a couple of posts out.

There we have it. I know understand.

In the mean time I cant accept that the board has done well.

B

Bobby Sands

Turn it around.

Groupthink (no diversity) is the opposite of collective intelligence, which is the proven most effective process of decision making by MIT and other institutions.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A bit of talk about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) coming back to Australia for a final tilt at the world cup. Reds not mentioned specifically but he'd be a good guy to have around as a mentor for our young backs. I was a bit lukewarm on it initially, but he seems to only be looking for a base salary (same as higgers did when he came back):

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/09/12/cheika-beale-on-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)-tahs-return

No idea if we're actually in the conversation, but looking at squads it'd have to be between us and the Tahs (unless WSR has something to offer him in time), can't see the others having space for him.