• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While we aren't signing big names (we just don't have the money to do so)

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, considering the number of Australian teams (including the Reds in recent years) that have shown that stacking your squad with big stars doesn't automatically translate into making a successful team..............

The Rebels could potentially be the next example.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^ Who are they likely to be losing after the RWC? Higgers? Lukhan? Kerevi? The purse strings could well and truly be loosened.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Schatz still managed to get 85 caps for the Reds, pretty impressive. Also he's 28, did not realise he was that old.

Yes he did, had a good career, so not a great example. More around an example (aus seems to be full of them) of young superstars who don't end up being professional superstars. Schatz got to about journeyman level, couple wallaby games at 24, cast from the reds by 25, handful of games for rebels at 26 and forced overseas at 27. Playing with Radike and Higs highlighted moreso what he was missing. Hewat should feel hardly done by, but Australia is awash with 20 yr old 6ft3 108kg backrowers who captain their 1st XV's, but when everyone keeps developing around them, and they stay the same, it get's highlighted they don't quite fit a role.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes he did, had a good career, so not a great example. More around an example (aus seems to be full of them) of young superstars who don't end up being professional superstars. Schatz got to about journeyman level, couple wallaby games at 24, cast from the reds by 25, handful of games for rebels at 26 and forced overseas at 27. Playing with Radike and Higs highlighted moreso what he was missing. Hewat should feel hardly done by, but Australia is awash with 20 yr old 6ft3 108kg backrowers who captain their 1st XV's, but when everyone keeps developing around them, and they stay the same, it get's highlighted they don't quite fit a role.

Moreso is when they don't develop their other skills. Others grow and while they had previously relied on size that's now not an option. Big kid come small kid. Needs skill work.

B

Bobby Sands

Based on what though? He dominated every level including club rugby. Feel it’s a personal thing, based on no evidence mind you. Bloke has value.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I remember David Flatman telling a story about when he came over here to play a mid week Australia A fixture a number of years back. Australia suffered a number of injuries to prop, ref was going to call uncontested scrums but TPN stepped up and played prop. Claims hes did the job as well as any full time prop could of done, immense strength.

As Reg said, pretty sure he started as a backrower

I think he came back onto the field to play at prop and then got injured in a pointless midweek game, maybe the same game?

I recall it because of the outrage over how Robbie Deans made a stupid mistake letting him pack at prop in a worthless game and then getting injured.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What on earth did Reece Hewat do wrong?

He did something off the football field that Brad Thorn didn’t like.

Not going to say what it is cause the moderators here have asked us not to talk about it. (Allegation- unconfirmed)

If you would like to know I suggest google his name and term reddit because that’s where I saw the original post

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
well that search came up with nothing

Sorry I don’t know how google algorithm works with search function

But that’s where I read it.

I’m gonna avoid repeating what I read or heard and let somebody else speak on why Hewat is in the Thorn doghouse

B

Bobby Sands

He did something off the football field that Brad Thorn didn’t like.

Not going to say what it is cause the moderators here have asked us not to talk about it. (Allegation- unconfirmed)

If you would like to know I suggest google his name and term reddit because that’s where I saw the original post

Thanks mate, I figured as much.