• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
McGahan was a schoolboy star in NZ who went to league, couldn't make it out of U20s so returned to rugby and had 12 games for the Blues who have struggled to find a good 10 for several years and they 'released' him. He then moved to Japan. Arguably he has more experience than Stewart but hasn't seemed to live up to the schoolboy potential. A cheap buy for the Reds.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The acting CEO now CEO? I can not express my disappointment enough.

PS If this was a decission that had to be made, it could have, and should have, been made a looong time ago.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I get the disappointment of signing the interim ... but I reckon the reds have made some good calls since he has been in the seat.

I just wonder is it him, or Miller that is making the calls.

I also think Reds are having to be very careful with their money at the moment.

Their season could be over before they start their run of home games. Going on past form the horse may have bolted by round 5 or 6. If that’s the case game day revenue is going to light on.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I get the disappointment of signing the interim . but I reckon the reds have made some good calls since he has been in the seat.

I just wonder is it him, or Miller that is making the calls.

I also think Reds are having to be very careful with their money at the moment.

He’s also one who was there through all sides of the Quade saga starting with valuing him highly through appointing g an HC without apparently checking the HCs attitude to the assets the Reds had invested in and into not apparently getting involved with guiding a rookie HC who was trashing Red assets.

Which takes us on to being careful with money. Track record is not shiney, loud but not in a good way.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah Tela was around the squad. Some sort of contract I guess. Has he been capped by Fiji does anyone know?

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone remember seeing McGahan play? What style of 10 is he? Similar to Hamish?

Looks like McGahan played a bit of fullback for North Harbour in the Mitre 10 comp so perhaps he is being looked at for 15 cover as well. Seemed to mainly be a bench player for the Blues but has an interesting history with the Reds being highlighted as a diver when chasing a kick against Kerevi - see this link:

https://www.balls.ie/uncategorized/...the-most-heinous-dive-to-buy-a-penalty-327903

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, so all confirmed now. McGahan is Aussie qualified (born here) which makes the decision A LITTLE more palatable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not keen on it, seems very short term thinking but who knows? Who would you have preferred they pick up Reg?

I think we're short a fullback. That's my biggest concern with this squad (although a 7 would be nice too). Not sure if there are any quality fullbacks available but there's a couple of options from the Drua who would have been damn interesting (although perhaps we don't have foreign spots left). I would have gone after Jack Debrezceni but perhaps they did and he wanted to go elsewhere.

I think money is a huge issue with every selection. We have none. McGahan would have cost us a pittance I am guessing. Same for Jock and Teti. Thorn is going the Money Ball option. One eye on the cash and one eye on the cultural fit I'm guessing.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I think we're short a fullback. That's my biggest concern with this squad (although a 7 would be nice too). Not sure if there are any quality fullbacks available but there's a couple of options from the Drua who would have been damn interesting (although perhaps we don't have foreign spots left). I would have gone after Jack Debrezceni but perhaps they did and he wanted to go elsewhere.

I think money is a huge issue with every selection. We have none. McGahan would have cost us a pittance I am guessing. Same for Jock and Teti. Thorn is going the Money Ball option. One eye on the cash and one eye on the cultural fit I'm guessing.

McGahan has played fullback, and Campbell is a 15 as well isn't he? Do you think they are looking at Toua as an experienced 15 to bring on the likes of Campbell? My concern with McGahan is if he couldn't make it at the Blues during a period when they have been awful, was it poor coaching or just didn't have the goods? Maybe McKay can get something out of him but the Australian pattern of importing NZ players to fill the 10 position is a concern.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, those are the three fullback options and I think you are right about Campbell. QLD Country were obviously trying things for the Reds and had Petaia playing fullback for a few games before moving him to 13 and Jock moved back and was fine (I think he was better on the wing). I would've like Daugunu to get a run.

Agree totally on McGahan, although I have no line of vision on him. Can't recall seeing him play at all (although if he has played against the Reds as per the above clip, I would've).

I just think we have the makings of an excellent backline, particularly with Jimmy teaching attack and Ryan helping out with D.

9 McDermott / Sorovi (Tuttle injured)
10 Stewart
11 Daugunu
12 Paia'aua / Kerevi
13 Kerevi / Petaia / CFS
14 Petaia / Perese / CFS

And then fullback seems a bit of an issue with Toua, Campbell and McGahan.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Smith 2. Amosa 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Tui
6. Higs 8. Timu 7. Wright
9. Mcdermott 10. Stewart 11. Daugunu 12. DP 13. Kerevi 14. Petaia 15. Toua

16. Mafi 17. Hoopert 18. Smith 19. Hockings 20. Korzcyk 21. Sorovi 22. McGahan 23. Sautia

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
1. Smith 2. Amosa 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Tui
6. Higs 8. Timu 7. Wright
9. Mcdermott 10. Stewart 11. Daugunu 12. DP 13. Kerevi 14. Petaia 15. Toua

16. Mafi 17. Hoopert 18. Smith 19. Hockings 20. Korzcyk 21. Sorovi 22. McGahan 23. Sautia

That lineup looks good on paper but it also looks quite similar to what they had for a lot of this season - admittedly 9 was a musical chairs selection and Stewart only got to 10 later in the season but my question is (aside from as Reg mentioned the new coaching assistants of McKay and Ryan) what will be different? Wright in for George Smith = younger legs and probably less penalties, and McDermott is a quick pass, but who is going to kick?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
That lineup looks good on paper but it also looks quite similar to what they had for a lot of this season - admittedly 9 was a musical chairs selection and Stewart only got to 10 later in the season but my question is (aside from as Reg mentioned the new coaching assistants of McKay and Ryan) what will be different? Wright in for George Smith = younger legs and probably less penalties, and McDermott is a quick pass, but who is going to kick?

Out of the hand Stewart has a cannon. From the tee is going to be a problem.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
For mine, I’m looking at who has gained in experience and and should be able to bring something more to the team next year.

Wallabies like Thor, Tui and Rodda should be up a level in performance next year. Timu and Amosa have seen some Test minutes and hopefully are able to take another step forward.

The others (mainly backline) are counting on mainly the extra time spent together during NRC and pre season.

Based on that we might see a more forward oriented style