• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can all you guys that wish to know, please PM the guy instead of posting in here? I keep seeing this thread with new posts, so I come in here to have a look at the latest reds news/discussion and it's just "me too, I wud also like pics of the bobbies and vergene".

Anyways, I think it is now financially critical that the reds win from the very start of next season. "building", "culture" and "trying hard" won't bring in the dollars, and it is imperative that the dollars come in immediately. Furthermore, by being an utter dogshit team (that is the politest name i can use for them at the moment tbh) for a couple of years has immeasurably harmed the game in Queensland and this is reflected in the attendance of wallabies games as well. Many friends of mine no longer follow any level of rugby because the game is just not in their consciousness and rugby is "that sport that is f*cking shit to watch" because their experience is watching years of reds games.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Anyways, I think it is now financially critical that the reds win from the very start of next season. "building", "culture" and "trying hard" won't bring in the dollars, and it is imperative that the dollars come in immediately.

Agree with the sentiment but I’ll be surprised (and impressed) if it happens.

R1 bye
R2 Highlanders away
R3 Crusaders home
R4 Tahs away
R5 Sunwolves away (maybe?)
R6 Brumbies home

Like it or not this is a very young team, with a substantially better coaching crew but still a green HC. No doubt there is plenty of “meh” in the fan world but I suspect we’ll need to see in 2020 before improvements move to plenty of Ws.

Hope to be proven wrong but what I really want to see is that 2018 was the nadir. This year is basically one that leads to the next.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

R1 bye
R2 Highlanders away
R3 Crusaders home
R4 Tahs away
R6 Brumbies home

Like it or not this is a very young team, with a substantially better coaching crew but still a green HC. No doubt there is plenty of “meh” in the fan world but I suspect we’ll need to see in 2020 before improvements move to plenty of Ws.

Hope to be proven wrong but what I really want to see is that 2018 was the nadir. This year is basically one that leads to the next.

Yeah that's a cooked opening leg. But then again, I feel like whatever 5 teams you pull out will be tough for us at the moment.

The bye doesn't help us, doesn't look like a particularly supporter-building start does it.

Reactions: dru

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

R1 bye
R2 Highlanders away
R3 Crusaders home
R4 Tahs away
R6 Brumbies home

Yeah, I understand that it is unlikely.

I am moreso saying that it actually *has* to happen - or else.

I don't believe that the reds will be able to afford any kind of decent attempt at a future unless they turn their finances around immediately.

Any player that shows any kind of promise next year will be offered money that the reds just will not be able to compete with (irrespective of contracts - the other team will just buy out the contract because the reds will NEED the money) unless they win.

In effect - if they don't win next year, they never will and rugby australia is not in a position to bail them out again.

There are other sporting organisations that dabble in "tanking" seasons in order to work up to a better win/loss record in a couple of years to come (the Padres have done it the last couple of years), but they have financial backers and a product that just gives fans enjoyment no matter what.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would think that player wages should ease up when 2019 is over. The residual Quade and Slipper payments will be complete and as Sully has said, the Hunt issue resolves itself.

That doesn’t change home game income or sponsorship. Thorn’s approach has already seen some fans walk (a small number perhaps, tbc) or at least start sharing interest elsewhere (following ex Reds). You’d have to hope it works with sponsors for the commercials to be meaningful.

Look, we’ve got a great group of young talent, and the coaching has a much firmer feel about it. I recall Cheika talking through the impact of young Red forwards on WB attitude to training. The youngsters don’t seem over-awed by their roles.

Things are definitely feeling better, just I suspect a strong win ratio is too high a bar for expectations in 2019.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Aight in the aim of being optimistic:
R1 - bye - sucks.
R2 - Highlanders away - Hansen benches the Smiths + Naholo for RWC health + Highlanders very justifiably relaxed against us + in the first few minutes Rodda cuts Marty Banks in half and Marty proceeds to shit the bed and drop every ball cold for the rest of game = Reds get surprise win, Fa'agase and Lomax beg us to fly home and apologise unreservedly for deserting.
R3 - Crusaders home - okay no optimism can help here.
R4 - Tahs - probably not hey?
R5 - Moonpuppies no match for Kerevi and 14 other people we find to play
R6 - Can get over the Brumbies if they take 20 rounds to get going like last season.

3/5 by round 6, very possible!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
at least we'll draw a big crowd that 2nd game v the Crusaders. Hopefully it's not led into by a big loss to the Highlanders.

One of the unsung 'benefits' of our poor performance this year means that we don't have many players away with the Wallabies. Just Rodda, Tupou, Kerevi and Petaia. It does mean our squad gets a good dose of off-season coaching at the hands of our new assistant coaches (and S&C man).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Who knows if the Highlanders and Crusaders will be resting All Blacks as it's a WC year. While its early in the season, they may not want to risk them being injured against a 'push over' team!

One can hope though!