• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m pretty shattered with the thought of neither Izzy here next year.

Perese would be a frustrating loss, injury issues aside. I suspect if he is going back to league his newborn could be a factor. Travel can be demanding on a new mum.

As for Folau, he has strong spiritual beliefs (ones I don’t agree with but ones id suggest a number of his team mates do but aren’t as vocal on). He is undeniably one of the best players in the world and would be a huge boost to this team. And the crowds. The kids love him.

Losing these two, plus the rumours of missing out on McMahon, are a significant blow to the Thorn era. Potential recruits are obviously doing their due diligence.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I’m pretty shattered with the thought of neither Izzy here next year.

Perese would be a frustrating loss, injury issues aside. I suspect if he is going back to league his newborn could be a factor. Travel can be demanding on a new mum.

As for Folau, he has strong spiritual beliefs (ones I don’t agree with but ones id suggest a number of his team mates do but aren’t as vocal on). He is undeniably one of the best players in the world and would be a huge boost to this team. And the crowds. The kids love him.

Losing these two, plus the rumours of missing out on McMahon, are a significant blow to the Thorn era. Potential recruits are obviously doing their due diligence.

Is McMahon staying in Japan?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Looks as though Perese will be heading to rugby league with the Broncos with him seeking a release for 2019 but if that's not possible he will sign for them and play from the Broncos from 2020 onwards.

I know he was always a league junior and the Reds pinched from the Cowboys straight out of school so I think it might be a real want and desire to play NRL but surely you tick off some more boxes here first.

Anyway, I have a feeling he will be getting paid basically nothing at the Broncos, definitely less then $300,000 a year with it more likely being closer to $150,000 a year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
firstly, $150k is basically nothing? Gees!

Yeah, the article suggests Broncos are prepared to pay the Reds a transfer fee to get him next year. Hell, I'd take it. We need money and we don't need players who don't want to be there. Particularly if they spend half the season on the sidelines.

As for us pinching him from the Cowboys, well really Churchie pinched him for a couple of years. We were lucky to get him for a couple more.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How many caps does he even have for the Reds? People have been banging on about him for ages and i've seen him play maybe once. And he got a stupid yellow card that match.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not a fan? Or am I having trouble identifying your sarcasm?
Sure I'm a fan. Of his play. But he's not the player the Reds need and unless he's playing for chicken feed we can't afford him.
I also think Folau needs a good 10-12 to perform. Where are the coming from? Souths?
And I haven't even started on the homophobia.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Sorry 150k isn't nothing but comparatively to what he would be worth on the NRL open market it is cents on the dollar. I honestly think he'd be worth around 450k a year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sorry 150k isn't nothing but comparatively to what he would be worth on the NRL open market it is cents on the dollar. I honestly think he'd be worth around 450k a year.
Average NRL salary is 380k or so. But, an average is not a great measure, given your star players will skew the distribution so much. Thurston is worth roughly a mil for example. I'd say 150k a year for an untested but promising youngster is probably a bit high.

Couldn't find any stats for median NRL player income.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I have to agree, if a player does not want to be there why keep him. Also is about time Aus Rugby adopted a transfer fee system IMO. Like any professional team around the world, Super Rugby and RA spend money and resources to develop players,

Do you want to leave before the end of your contract? No worries club X has to pay a transfer fee. This can be calculated in many different ways depending on the contract and the player but at the end of the day ROI is what we should be looking at.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
It doesn't but if he does not want to be there you should at least get something for it,

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Very disappointed to hear about Perese.

Hes got a lot of talent and there is just something special about him.

McMahon is an interesting case, i suspect we will see him back but was adamant it would be the Reds.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Silverado - Georgina Robinson in SMH suggested its highly likely he will stay at Tahs.

"Now, the Waratahs hope they can fend off keen interest from Brad Thorn's Reds to see a five-year relationship with Folau bear further fruit." Georgina Robinson.

Hope is 'no guarantee' IF is staying with Tahs. Highly speculative assumption. . . Reds is still a high probability imo for his airness :) .

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
This is the line I read:
"Outside those positions the majority of the squad will be locked away, assuming big guns Michael Hooper, Israel Folau and Bernard Foley re-sign on long-term deals (we're hearing four years). Despite the Izzy-to-Queensland speculation, the Waratahs remain confident Folau will stay in Australia, and NSW, for the medium term."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...confident-izzy-will-stay-20180726-p4ztsa.html