• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
BS - "Thorn's involvement certainly has ended a lot of good careers around Gunnies age 23/24 ish."

Reg - after bolding the above line " really? Who?"

BS - "Not sure but the amount of young QLD backrowers that has been blooded at Super level and not made it recently is staggering; Browning, Shatz, Quirk (arguable), Lolo, Butler, Gunn, Hewat et al.

So Bobby Sands, how did you go from "thorns involvement certainly has ended alot of good careers" and end up at 'not sure' when asked by Reg to whose careers are you referring? Bit hard to be 'certain' and 'not sure' in the same breath.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Backrow talent developed in the state is such an interesting topic. So many solid (but not great players). Many seem to be oversized 7s and undersized 6s & 8s.

Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Angus Scott-Young, Liam Wright, Reece Hewat, Waita Setu, Lolo Fakaosillea, Adam Korczyk, Michael Gunn, Curtis Browning, Jarrod Butler, Jake Schatz, Ed Quirk, Andrew Shaw and Poutasi Luafutu from the last 10 or so years.

Granted the first four jury is still out.

Pocock (genuine 7), Gill (genuine 7) & McMahon (undersized but a beast) are all elite.

Im sure there are plenty more that I have missed (like Robinson but he was a ring-in).

B

Bobby Sands

BS - "Thorn's involvement certainly has ended a lot of good careers around Gunnies age 23/24 ish."

Reg - after bolding the above line " really? Who?"

BS - "Not sure but the amount of young QLD backrowers that has been blooded at Super level and not made it recently is staggering; Browning, Shatz, Quirk (arguable), Lolo, Butler, Gunn, Hewat et al.

So Bobby Sands, how did you go from "thorns involvement certainly has ended alot of good careers" and end up at 'not sure' when asked by Reg to whose careers are you referring? Bit hard to be 'certain' and 'not sure' in the same breath.

Why can no one read?

I never said Thorn ended careers.

That was another poster.

In fact I said it was naive that that poster thought Thorn wasn’t across all players.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It probably should be remembered that some of those 'loosies" went elsewhere as other clubs had either a deeper purse, or were seriously short of player talent for their respective playing positions, or a combination of both.
Admittedly some left cause they were totally pissed off with the coaching at the time e.g. Gill, with the worst coach the Reds have ever had. (guess who?)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It probably should be remembered that some of those 'loosies" went elsewhere as other clubs had either a deeper purse, or were seriously short of player talent for their respective playing positions, or a combination of both.
Admittedly some left cause they were totally pissed off with the coaching at the time e.g. Gill, with the worst coach the Reds have ever had. (guess who?)

I am sure Gilly would have stuck around (knowing that Graham would eventually be punted) if RA showed him the $$$$.

B

Bobby Sands

I am sure Gilly would have stuck around (knowing that Graham would eventually be punted) if RA showed him the $$$$.

Gill had a falling out with the ARU over being suspended for drinking (among 10 or so others) on an end of season tour.

He went to the players association to challenge it, and the totalitarian ARU essentially white-anted him.

The ARU is and was poison.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know who this lad is? (Not the coach). Is it Will Eadie?
Which Red.JPG

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Eadie looks like a big lump of a kid. Where does he play?

Plays on the wing. He's 20. Played a season in Premier grade and gassed a lot of people. Was signed straight out of school to a development contract and this is the 3rd and final year of his deal.

Supposedly had some issues with discipline outside of rugby and is apparently on his last warning.

Good kid with lots of potential

B

Bobby Sands

Plays on the wing. He's 20. Played a season in Premier grade and gassed a lot of people. Was signed straight out of school to a development contract and this is the 3rd and final year of his deal.

Supposedly had some issues with discipline outside of rugby and is apparently on his last warning.

Good kid with lots of potential

Lethal finisher, I hope he comes on!

That Terrace team was pretty elite by the sounds; Lucas, Eadie and Wilson - all now in the Reds squad.