• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Why should rugby be protected from being "bagged out?"

I think we can all admit that rugby league, from a performance basis, is more professional than rugby.

Why are we okay with this?

I think it says a lot about his lack of maturity and lack of awareness of how today's actions can influence future opportunities.

It does not sound like he wishes to return to Rugby, but if he does he has just destroyed his chance of playing for the Reds again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dont think you need to have money to work hard and spew up.

Look at the condition of the Broncos compared to the Reds / Wallabies.

Surely if we can't get the talent, we can at least train harder.
Comparing apples and oranges.

The physical conditioning required for test rugby is a little different to the physical conditioning required for NRL.

NRL players run far more and generally weigh less. Stands to reason they'd do more cardio (which is what pushes you to throw up).

Although, Cheika does bang on about how unfit players are when they get to Wallaby camp, so maybe hes right.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it's probably fair to say that the Broncos have the best high performance set up of any rugby team in Australia (with only a few AFL clubs probably beating it). They also have shedloads of money behind them.

As well Perese should be training bloody hard as he needs a contract. Clearly he's wanted out of the Reds for at least a year now, so some may be attitude - that plus he hadn't done any official pre-season with the Reds so he would have turned up to the Broncos somewhat out of shape.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Comparing apples and oranges.

The physical conditioning required for test rugby is a little different to the physical conditioning required for NRL.

NRL players run far more and generally weigh less. Stands to reason they'd do more cardio (which is what pushes you to throw up).

Although, Cheika does bang on about how unfit players are when they get to Wallaby camp, so maybe hes right.

Aside from all this, I thought Brad Thorn was one of the tougher condition training coaches, in that he demands fitness.
And I would think he has too good an experienced eye, for any senior players (or any players, for that matter) to get away with shirking the hard yards.
If the Reds S&C assist coach is not doing his job, then he should start packing his bags for Georgia (do they play rugby in Siberia?).

B

Bobby Sands

Aside from all this, I thought Brad Thorn was one of the tougher condition training coaches, in that he demands fitness.
And I would think he has too good an experienced eye, for any senior players (or any players, for that matter) to get away with shirking the hard yards.
If the Reds S&C assist coach is not doing his job, then he should start packing his bags for Georgia (do they play rugby in Siberia?).

Again it’s a separation of responsibilities.

Brad Thorn may have been the hardest trainer in the universe, but does he have experience running a s&c program for 50 blokes? Does he have the bandwidth to monitor the preparation of 50 blokes? And if he does, why do we even have an s&c coach?

Of course, the s&c coach is crucial, it just so happens ours came from working with a netball team (very successfully).

The Broncos s&c has been working in the NRL for 15 years.

Sidenote: Will Chambers used to tell people how easy the Reds had it compared to the Storm.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Perese could be playing it up for cameras. Let’s all not forget this is the player who was injured preseason and didn’t partake in most of Brad Thorn preseason (can someone jog my memory - he was injured in 2017, came back and hurt himself again in first game of preseason?)

I’m sure the broncos train hard but the reds replaced Nick Stiles with a coach who’s definition of train hard. Brad Thorn got no time for quitters and dickheads. Guys like frisby & Ready didn’t even get a chance cause of their commitment to training in 2017

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For clarity - the rumours I heard predated Brad Thorn.

Also, I believe that the Reds S&C coaching staff of the time did resign when Brad was an assistant due to clashes over the workload. Not to say he was right and they were wrong, but as I understand it he was encouraging players do extras.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rugby League preseasons are about as hard as they get. The average NRL preseason would be a step up from any Rugby preseason, its probably down to a few things.

- The nature of their games require less time working on technical aspects and more time prepping physically. League is about as tough of a sport as you can play, the simplicity of the game amplifies some of the most basic principles of any form of 'rugby', tackle hard, run hard and work hard. Props don't need to scrum, locks don't need to learn calls and the play makers each know they have 5 front foot ball tackles to work towards their final play.

- The challenges in a Rugby season with travel etc. means that precious time needs to be spent at the front end of the season on technical things (scrum, line out, set plays)

- Each NRL team plays 24 games in the regular season, it means that combinations can be built as the season goes on (so a priority at being in peak physical condition), a super rugby season is in pro sports terms fairly short and sweet. In Super Rugby you have to hit the ground running with combinations from the start.

- Then other things like the length of the season for the top tier rugby player, etc. it all adds up to being vastly different from each other.

- The other thing is one sport has been pro for over 100yrs and another just over 20yrs. RL philosophies especially in Aus are entwined with a professional mentality, Union still at heart has many amateur characteristics and will build as a sport as time goes on

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Rugby League preseasons are about as hard as they get. The average NRL preseason would be a step up from any Rugby preseason, its probably down to a few things.

- The nature of their games require less time working on technical aspects and more time prepping physically. League is about as tough of a sport as you can play, the simplicity of the game amplifies some of the most basic principles of any form of 'rugby', tackle hard, run hard and work hard. Props don't need to scrum, locks don't need to learn calls and the play makers each know they have 5 front foot ball tackles to work towards their final play.

- The challenges in a Rugby season with travel etc. means that precious time needs to be spent at the front end of the season on technical things (scrum, line out, set plays)

- Each NRL team plays 24 games in the regular season, it means that combinations can be built as the season goes on (so a priority at being in peak physical condition), a super rugby season is in pro sports terms fairly short and sweet. In Super Rugby you have to hit the ground running with combinations from the start.

- Then other things like the length of the season for the top tier rugby player, etc. it all adds up to being vastly different from each other.

- The other thing is one sport has been pro for over 100yrs and another just over 20yrs. RL philosophies especially in Aus are entwined with a professional mentality, Union still at heart has many amateur characteristics and will build as a sport as time goes on

Some good points here. Should also be noted pro rugby players tend to be more in shape cause they have less of an offseason.

Super rugby season either ends with NRC or test tour

Rugby league you play your NRL Season and your left with 6 months to get on the sauce and involve yourself in rape/domestic violence... that just doesn’t happen in Union because it’s basically 10 months of rugby when you combined super season with NRC/Test match footy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Exercise-induced nausea is a feeling of sickness or vomiting which can occur shortly after exercise has stopped as well as during exercise itself. It may be a symptom of either over-exertion during exercise, or from too abruptly ending an exercise session. People engaged in high-intensity exercise such as aerobics and bicycling have reported experiencing exercise-induced nausea. A study of 20 volunteers conducted at Nagoya University in Japan associated a higher degree of exercise-induced nausea after eating.[1]
He probably downed an ultimate double whopper with fries right before training.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
It's a bit disingenuous to say Izaia Perese is bagging out rugby with his comments. He doesn't even mention it, he just says the Broncos pre-season has been tough.

It's hardly a veiled reference, he doesn't say or imply that Rugby had a shit program (although we do).

The Reds not-really-bothering-to-train thing is hardly new. It's well known the senior players were lazy. It's really not the first time this has happened either. Senior players love nothing more than to argue they train too hard, or even to sit around plotting coups against the coach, as in the case of the Brumbies players a few years back who should be starting their political careers soon.

It goes to the core weakness of our coaches, clubs and bodies that we give senior players have so much power

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hegarty confirmed. And Hunt to the Tahs.

Meanwhile, the Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) has granted Karmichael Hunt a release from his contract to join the New South Wales Waratahs.

QRU CEO David Hanham said: “It was a mutual decision for both us and Karmichael to see him finish with Queensland and sign with the Waratahs.”

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
meanwhile:

The St.George Queensland Reds have finalised their 2019 squad after signing prop Feao Fotuaika and utility back Jack Hardy.

Fotuaika is that massive prop from Sunnybank (think he moved to Souths last year?) I am always surprised they find shorts to fit him. I'd be surprised if he gets game time as I've always thought he was fairly average (just very large).

I've only just heard of Jack Hardy. Can't remember much about him though. A WA boy.

Just face spillers it seems

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jimmy Tucker reporting that Matt McGahan arrived with a broken leg! Will be very much behind the rest of the team.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Full squad:

Angus Blyth
Jock Campbell
Filipo Daugunu
Will Eadie
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Feao Fotuaika
Jack Hardy
Bryce Hegarty
Scott Higginbotham