• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whomever the starting side ends up being, the thing I like about the side is the bench, and the fact that Fotuaika, Blythe, Sorovi, Maloula, Hardy all don’t even make the 23 and three backs are bracketed in.

All of these guys have shown various levels of potential to push for starting spots.

For the team to be successful we still need broad improvement across the whole squad but competition for places and squad depth will help achieve that and is vital for longer term success.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I doubt that about Maloua.

It’s McDermott job to lose. He has shown enough this season to be the unquestion guy going forward. The reds need to prioritise keeping McDermott.

The battle will be for the reserve spot going forward. As Sorovi is on the books for 2020 we can expect a battle between Tuttle, Maloua and someone from premier grade ranks (and there’s a lot of talented 9s currenrlt getting around in clubland) for the last spot in a reds 2020 squad.
Agree that it’s Tate’s to lose, but could have said the same about Sorovi at the start of this season, he certainly had the early running , but Tate’s form couldn’t be ignored.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whomever the starting side ends up being, the thing I like about the side is the bench, and the fact that Fotuaika, Blythe, Sorovi, Maloula, Hardy all don’t even make the 23 and three backs are bracketed in.

All of these guys have shown various levels of potential to push for starting spots.

For the team to be successful we still need broad improvement across the whole squad but competition for places and squad depth will help achieve that and is vital for longer term success.

4-8 is a real conundrum of young talent time
4 Rodda
5 Hockings
6 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7 Wright
8 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

19 Blythe
20 McReight
21 Wislon (if 6-2)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not sure ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is the answer at 8. I think he's going to want to step up a bit if he takes the 8 role next year. I think Wilson many be the better option.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Read something about Dane Gagai being not happy at south Sydney and looking to get out of his contract this offseason.

Whilst the broncos are the favourite to land him. I wonder if the reds & RA would be willing to go back to the rugby league talent pool and sign him back to the 15 man code?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not sure ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is the answer at 8. I think he's going to want to step up a bit if he takes the 8 role next year. I think Wilson many be the better option.

I wasn't overly thoughtful with order. there's probably a few different trains of thoughts there, but its still a very handy bench.

S

Show-n-go

Read something about Dane Gagai being not happy at south Sydney and looking to get out of his contract this offseason.

Whilst the broncos are the favourite to land him. I wonder if the reds & RA would be willing to go back to the rugby league talent pool and sign him back to the 15 man code?

where would he play? His unhappiness comes from wanting to play centre and getting shafted to the wing, dont think he has the skillset for 12, so guess 13??

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would trial him at 15 personally, he played some club rugby down at GPS during high school I've been told and played at 12 and 15, he's got a solid frame and vision. I think he will end up staying in the NRL to be honest, the Cowboy's and Titan's have lots of money to throw at him and places available in the centers.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
where would he play? His unhappiness comes from wanting to play centre and getting shafted to the wing, dont think he has the skillset for 12, so guess 13??
So you read the same article about him being unhappy with his position.

I also read the part where it said the wife was home sick or wanted to move back to be near the family.

The reds really are the only option in that scenario. Game of rugby can offer more challenges that league just can’t. Like representative jerseys against the worlds best. Rugby league test footy just doesn’t really offer that

B

Bobby Sands

He is a BBC old boy , guessing he played rugby there , anyone know what position?

Played 13 I think, and from the accounts I have heard he was very good - but in no way a competition dominant player like Ponga, or Karmichael or Lloyd Johansson etc.

B

Bobby Sands

I was unaware of Lloyd's prowess. He was a star school boy player?

Was unbelievable. As good as they got. TSS/Australian schoolboys 12 for at-least two years maybe three, I think originally from Box Hill in Melbourne.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Was unbelievable. As good as they got. TSS/Australian schoolboys 12 for at-least two years maybe three, I think originally from Box Hill in Melbourne.

Yeah knew he was from Melbourne originally. He was playing school boy rugby a bit before I was a fan. I guess he's a good example that being a schoolboy prodigy doesn't equate to professional success. Though, sadly I think there's probably a lot more examples like him than not.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah knew he was from Melbourne originally. He was playing school boy rugby a bit before I was a fan. I guess he's a good example that being a schoolboy prodigy doesn't equate to professional success. Though, sadly I think there's probably a lot more examples like him than not.

LJ played for the Wallabies at 19 and scored on debut against the ABs. He could have been anything and didnt lack the tools to progress. Other factors held him back.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
He debuted against NZ in 2005 with Rogers at 10 (in a game we were expected to get absolutely rinsed in because we had about 187 players out injured, yet turned out to be one of the classic Bledisloe's) and absolutely carved up.

(Was that the same game Drew Mitchell got his first start and Lomu'd Jerry Collins to score?)

One of those players (like that fat fucker at 8 for the Reds who carved up around the same time, went AWOL, was brought back by Link and carved up again at 8....who was he.....that's going to annoy me till someone reminds me) that legit had everything except the consistency/desire to stay there once he'd made it.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
He was fantastic. I remember the Reds v Blues in Auckland in 2009. Jones had brought him back in 2008, then Mooney unleashed him in 2009.

Was it Simmons at 4, Horwill at 5, McMeniman at 6? I think Slipper was emerging then, along with Saia Fainga'a?

Barnes-Cooper - Fainga'a-Fetoai midfield, and Digby Ioane rampaging on the wing. Christ Almighty, Diggers was like Lomu in that game. Schicovski at full back threw the most ridiculous flick pass, Genia I think came off the bench. And the whole game was delayed/paused because the power went out :D

That game was the gestation of EM/Reds 2011 title, plus the Crusaders game when Digby got carded for a spear tackle and butchered everything just when they were about to win. Phil Mooney was the coach (where the hell is he? Every single god damn team he's coached has been fucken outstanding with ball in hand. Is it too much to dream that maybe that's who Cheika has been delaying this dramatic reveal for? Oh god PLEASE) and this bunch of youngsters just unleashed that year. Hit and miss, and their defence was grim (despite Ant Fainga'a's efforts - jeez he cut some poor fluffybunnys in half that year even if it didn't save them) but when they got ball in hand and switched on it was amazing.

That Reds/Blues game was one I really want to watch again