• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Again - we should be trying to do both.

Kerevi has been superman for us this year - even more impressive when you watch that teams are consistently trying to double team him to nullify him. All those guys listed are great young prospects and keeping them is important too. Not one of them is close to Kerevi at this point in time.

I am personally cautiously optimistic with with Thorn has being doing, but we really need some results next year before our crowd numbers shrink further. If Kerevi goes, well so be it. I pray that Petaia & Lucas stay fit and that Stewart, McDermott, Daugunu & someone like Jock Campbell really progress next year.

But in no possible way is it a blessing in disguise.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Kuridrani to the Reds rumour keeps doing the rounds, 7's rugby are trying to recruit Tate McDermott for next year as well. Not sure what the lineup would look like with both Kuridrani and Petaia in the same team. Thats a big strong centre pairing though, it means you really need a quality ball distributor at 10, Lucas perhaps?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Joe Tomane spotted in Brisbane over the weekend. He's currently playing in Europe but owns property in Brisbane I believe. Probably just back for a break I guess or could be something more?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I want to walk back some comments I made here earlier in this thread about Bryce Hegarty.

Whilst I don’t think his long term answer for the reds at 10 he has looked great when he reverted back to 15 and he’d be a priority signing in my eyes cause of his versatility he offers.

What I want to know is Bryce started the season at 15 but they switched him to 10 (where he played majority of season) was the swap to do with Bryce play or was it to do with Hamish Stewart’s?

I don’t like Bryce as a playmaker but his been great in support running, above average defender,, accurate goal kicker and knows how to score meat pies.

B

Bobby Sands

I want to walk back some comments I made here earlier in this thread about Bryce Hegarty.

Whilst I don’t think his long term answer for the reds at 10 he has looked great when he reverted back to 15 and he’d be a priority signing in my eyes cause of his versatility he offers.

What I want to know is Bryce started the season at 15 but they switched him to 10 (where he played majority of season) was the swap to do with Bryce play or was it to do with Hamish Stewart’s?

I don’t like Bryce as a playmaker but his been great in support running, above average defender,, accurate goal kicker and knows how to score meat pies.

I really like Bryce.

Watching Isaac Lucas destroy sides in the JWC has been pretty eye opening, similiar to the try he created against the Tahs I think it was.

As much as he has played 10 as a junior I think 15 might be his senior position as a Damien McKenzie type.

I like Hamish as a 12 / utility and think he obviously has value.

I don't mind Bryce at 10, but think that Carter Gordon might be the long-term solution.

Want to keep Jordy at 13, so if we got TK I'd want to play him at 12. Bob Dwyer always liked the idea of him at 12.

Jock Campbell looks handy, but it will be good to see what Eadie can do next season as well. I know he has elite pace, but how that translates to senior rugby I am not sure.

I've said it before and been hosed down, but one of the best young Rugby Union back prospects is in Brisbane playing Intrust Super Cup on a minor contract for the Broncos, his name is Ilikena Vudogo and if we are not targeting him we are mad.

I also think we will start the season next year with McReight at 7 and Wright at 6.

Jordy and Isaac are essentially new recruits, and two of the most promising backs in the country.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Could be an interesting team:

15 Lucas
14 Daugunu
13 Petaia
12 Stewart
11 Speight
10 Hergarty
9 McDermott

8 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7 McReight
6 Wright
5 Rodda
4 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
3 Tupou
2 Mafi
1 Hoopert

16 BPA
17 Smith
18 Smith
19 Hockings
20 Wilson
21 Tuttle
22 McGahan / CFS
23 CFS/Campbell

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Reg - Why Tuttle?

The fact he’s had 2 torn Achilles injuries and is now a free agent this offseason doesn’t bode well for him coming back.

I say the deck is stacked against him playing his way back into Reds contention via NRC when he will be up against the likes of McDermott/Maloua (whom are both aligned to NRC Qld country) - maybe one of 3 halfbacks goes to Brisbane City considering the incumbent Scott Gale has gone abroad and coach Heenan preferred playing Sorovi on the wing.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I'd probably give JP the nod over Hoopert for the time being as well. Harry has definitely come along way, but I'd ideally like him to cultivate some more mass before throwing him in the starting role consistently.

That's also if Feao isn't back for next season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg - Why Tuttle?

The fact he’s had 2 torn Achilles injuries and is now a free agent this offseason doesn’t bode well for him coming back.

I say the deck is stacked against him playing his way back into Reds contention via NRC when he will be up against the likes of McDermott/Maloua (whom are both aligned to NRC Qld country) - maybe one of 3 halfbacks goes to Brisbane City considering the incumbent Scott Gale has gone abroad and coach Heenan preferred playing Sorovi on the wing.

Am a massive Tuttle fan and just think his leadership/maturity would serve us well from the bench.

McDermott and Sorovi at QLD Country

Tuttle and Maloula at City.

If Tuttle is fit, that's what I'd do with the proviso we don't know what Tate is up to. He may end up with 7s let alone RWC

B

Bobby Sands

Could be an interesting team:

15 Lucas
14 Daugunu
13 Petaia
12 Stewart
11 Speight
10 Hergarty
9 McDermott

8 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7 McReight
6 Wright
5 Rodda
4 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
3 Tupou
2 Mafi
1 Hoopert

16 BPA
17 Smith
18 Smith
19 Hockings
20 Wilson
21 Tuttle
22 McGahan / CFS
23 CFS/Campbell

Great minds Reg, great minds.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Am a massive Tuttle fan and just think his leadership/maturity would serve us well from the bench.

McDermott and Sorovi at QLD Country

Tuttle and Maloula at City.

If Tuttle is fit, that's what I'd do with the proviso we don't know what Tate is up to. He may end up with 7s let alone RWC

Thorn doesn't seem to be much of a Tuttle fan though Reg - from recollection wasn't he dropped before he injured himself? I liked him and he can kick goals too so pretty handy but I got the impression he was on the outer.

B

Bobby Sands

I've never seen much in Tuttle tbh.

I really like the look of Maloula.

B

Bobby Sands

I like Tuttle a hell of a lot but I was massively surprised with Maloula on Friday. He was fantastic. Very composed considering he's barely even played NRC.

Good instinct on when to challenge the line too.

Moses started the season so well, but has really deteriorated the poor bugger.

I'd say his confidence is very low at the moment.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Your post in it's entirety is a good summary for all the halfbacks who've played for the Reds since their 2011 Premiership, aside from Genia. Showed signs of brilliance early on, all with very good attacking instincts, before falling off the edge of a cliff form wise or getting injured and being replaced. No one aside from Willy G has really held the spot at ransom for longer than a season or two.

- Frisby
- Tuttle
- Sorovi

McDermott is doing very well but if Maloula has a great end to the club season and strong off-season he might take top spot and the cycle continues.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt that about Maloua.

It’s McDermott job to lose. He has shown enough this season to be the unquestion guy going forward. The reds need to prioritise keeping McDermott.

The battle will be for the reserve spot going forward. As Sorovi is on the books for 2020 we can expect a battle between Tuttle, Maloua and someone from premier grade ranks (and there’s a lot of talented 9s currenrlt getting around in clubland) for the last spot in a reds 2020 squad.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't recall McDermott really putting a foot wrong tbh. Whoever wants to replace him would really need to show something special in order to displace him (unless McDermott has a major form reversal).

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
McDermott is definitely numero uno with Moses close behind.

Not a lot to disagree with Reg, but I think you're being a bit harsh on our young wingers. Daugunu whilst I admire his work rate, his defence is very very ordinary and he has turned the ball over a bit too much for my liking. He needs to improve these areas of his game.

To be frank I'd rather stick with Hardy and Campbell especially over Speight who is over 30 and past his prime. Why hold these kids back another year? give them another season of rep football under their belts and see how they go. Show loyalty to these blokes and they will show loyalty in return. We have CFS as cover who is extremely unlucky in that he can cover a number of positions so seemingly cursed with a bench spot.

My second row would be Rodda and HH, with Blythe on the bench. Sorry LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Reactions: gel