• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

True story: when McKenzie came in he did a circle of truth with all the players asking them to talk about their doubts and fears etc. LH said that sometimes when he was playing, even at the top level, he didn’t want to be out there.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He was fantastic. I remember the Reds v Blues in Auckland in 2009. Jones had brought him back in 2008, then Mooney unleashed him in 2009.

Was it Simmons at 4, Horwill at 5, McMeniman at 6? I think Slipper was emerging then, along with Saia Fainga'a?

Barnes-Cooper - Fainga'a-Fetoai midfield, and Digby Ioane rampaging on the wing. Christ Almighty, Diggers was like Lomu in that game. Schicovski at full back threw the most ridiculous flick pass, Genia I think came off the bench. And the whole game was delayed/paused because the power went out :D

That game was the gestation of EM/Reds 2011 title, plus the Crusaders game when Digby got carded for a spear tackle and butchered everything just when they were about to win. Phil Mooney was the coach (where the hell is he? Every single god damn team he's coached has been fucken outstanding with ball in hand. Is it too much to dream that maybe that's who Cheika has been delaying this dramatic reveal for? Oh god PLEASE) and this bunch of youngsters just unleashed that year. Hit and miss, and their defence was grim (despite Ant Fainga'a's efforts - jeez he cut some poor fluffybunnys in half that year even if it didn't save them) but when they got ball in hand and switched on it was amazing.

That Reds/Blues game was one I really want to watch again

He works at Brisbane Grammar, there Director of Rugby. Has done skills work at the Broncos in the past, year after he got the flick I think, also coached Otago in the NPC.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Read in the SMH Kerevi is going for 1.2m a year.
Story on rugby Xplorer yesterday quoting JoHanson saying they tried to keep him and had what they thought was a very good offer on the table, didn’t disclose what the offer was , but guessing nowhere near close enough to 1.2 m

Story today in the CM about Cheika “reaching out” to Ponga.

What are the chances ?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
nil - he wants to play for the All Blacks and the NRL reckons he's already worth more than 1 million a year which seems to be our ceiling.

The Kerevi situation seems like bad timing, to be honest. Kerevi had never really set the world on fire for the Wallabies and he was still being offered what is, for Rugby, big money (800,000). Reportedly the ARU offered to increase it to 850, increasing incrementally to 1 million in the last year but Kerevi had already signed the Suntory contract.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Read in the SMH Kerevi is going for 1.2m a year.

I don't blame him for going at all. Close to over the four years, he's better off close to a $1million playing in Japan;

RA and the Queensland Rugby Union upped that offer to $850,000 scaling up to $1 million in the fourth year.

Crappiest thing is, losing a player for the Wallabies in the prime of his career.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Has he signed with Suntory for four years? that's a blow, that means he likely won't ever play for the Wallabies again.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
~25% pay rise isn't necessarily enough to head overseas, especially when Wallabies match payments and results bonuses aren't included in the Aussie offer. Is this just an experience thing, is there some kind of tax benefit?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty sure it’s 3 years , even then he can leave after 2 , as in 2+1 year option.

Puts him back here before the 2023 RWC.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
~25% pay rise isn't necessarily enough to head overseas, especially when Wallabies match payments and results bonuses aren't included in the Aussie offer. Is this just an experience thing, is there some kind of tax benefit?
800 to 1.2 is 50% pay rise.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The Kerevi situation seems like bad timing, to be honest. Kerevi had never really set the world on fire for the Wallabies and he was still being offered what is, for Rugby, big money (800,000). .

The wallabies are trash. Kerevi is one of the bright spots

Kerevi was more worthy of Michael Hooper contract. 5 years - 6 millions! It’s not like Hooper leaves his stamp on a game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The wallabies are trash. Kerevi is one of the bright spots

Kerevi was more worthy of Michael Hooper contract. 5 years - 6 millions! It’s not like Hooper leaves his stamp on a game.
Not at the time of signing he wasn't. He still hasn't achieved much for the Wallabies. His valuation is based purely on his Super form and most of that was achieved this year - after hed already agreed to leave.

Hooper has done much more in a gold jersey.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With Kerevi, the Wallabies have tried to play him at 13 and that's not his spot. He's at least in the top 3 Super Rugby players this year and needs to play 12 at international level. Also in these big contracts the Wallaby match payments are guaranteed, so Hopper's not getting extra money for each test. It's a safety net for players who sign long term and get injured. That makes the Suntory deal much more than RA deal.

My issue with the Hooper signing is that he wouldn't get that money anywhere else in the world. France and England play big guys at 7 so wouldn't suit the game there. He may get some interest in Japan, but I doubt it.

The Reds need to go hard on Meaks. He would be a great addition to the team in 2020.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Continuing the conversation about Ponga, NRL and the Knights have admonished RA over Cheika's phone call to Ponga. Which is bloody hilarious.
Knights CEO:
It is inappropriate for any contact to be made from rugby union — or anyone else for that matter — and it is extremely disappointing.

Hahahaha pull the other one mate.