• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
RA statement is based on what? Do you know the terms of his offer or KBs for that matter?
Don’t know the terms or numbers other than KB (Kurtley Beale) currently on more and apparently justified by the fact he is a multi positional player and hence higher value.

Maybe Kerevi needs to learn how to play another couple of positions poorly to justify a pay increase from RA?

Just repeating what I have been told , could be completely wrong , but without telling you where I heard it, all I say is I think it’s bang on .

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have heard he is gone.

Reds have topped out on payments , RA aren't prepared to add anymore ( or not enough ) to what he is already on. Effectively has him on a lower level/priority than Beale, which I certainly can't reconcile. Maybe he needs to be wearing sky blue to be rated that highly?

Sad thing for Reds and supporters is he would have stayed.

Sad for every thoughtful Aussie fan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In the absence of Folau, Beale is basically the highest profile player in the country. A reasonable portion of his contract will be that marketing value to RA.

I agree that RA should be making Kerevi one of their highest paid players going forward. His form this year makes him incredibly important. His problem in negotiating though (as Strewthcobber pointed out) is he's negotiating based largely on future promise rather than what he has already achieved for the Wallabies.

At this point he's played 25 tests, had a fair number of injuries and been in and out of the side on form.

This year is the first year he's a walk up starter.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sad thing for Reds and supporters is he would have stayed.

That he worked so hard on his kicking and distributing game can only indicate he wanted to be a long-term test player. He could easily have earned the big bucks in Japan as a one-dimensional bash and barge player.

If we lose Kerevi that'll be our two best backs gone in one year. Not much-attacking prowess in the Wallaby backline minus Folau and Kerevi.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don’t know the terms or numbers other than KB (Kurtley Beale) currently on more and apparently justified by the fact he is a multi positional player and hence higher value.

Maybe Kerevi needs to learn how to play another couple of positions poorly to justify a pay increase from RA?

Just repeating what I have been told , could be completely wrong , but without telling you where I heard it, all I say is I think it’s bang on .

So it is utter hearsay. These are the kind of negative things we need to get away from as an Australian rugby public.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Who do we like as a replacement for Kerevi? Hard to think anyone will leave the Rebels but would love to see Meakes here. In terms of overseas maybe someone like a Tomane or O'Connor?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
So it is utter hearsay. These are the kind of negative things we need to get away from as an Australian rugby public.
My apologies your Honour.

Yep , I agree that what I posted is pretty much bang on the definition of hearsay. I’ll attempt to provide a signed stat dec with my next post.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
My apologies your Honour.

Yep , I agree that what I posted is pretty much bang on the definition of hearsay. I’ll attempt to provide a signed stat dec with my next post.

Come on, I just don't think perpetuating a rumor helps anyone. Johnson, O'Connor and Cheika have all watched plenty of Super Rugby this year and certainly know Samu's value to the Reds/Wallabies but the complexities of each situation don't make this a choice of one bloke vs another.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm sorry this sums up the problem. In what universe does a serial drunk, a misogynist, some who has sexually harassed a work mate, a probable drug user and who has on more than 1 occasion physically assaulted team mates make a better marketing proposition for Australian rugby than a softly spoken man who makes his headlines by exploits on the field and sets an shining example off it?

Yep.

Stagerring.

Although to be sure, I am 100% in favour of Folau getting the boot.

Just think it is a little inconsistent.

S

Show-n-go

I'm sorry this sums up the problem. In what universe does a serial drunk, a misogynist, some who has sexually harassed a work mate, a probable drug user and who has on more than 1 occasion physically assaulted team mates make a better marketing proposition for Australian rugby than a softly spoken man who makes his headlines by exploits on the field and sets an shining example off it?

The people want what the people want

There’s no denying his marketability value even if it doesn’t make a whole lotta sense

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If (when?) Kerevi pulls on his third world cup jersey he will be the highest paid player in the country

B

Bobby Sands

Well that’s not true

What does that holds for Sydney too mean? I don’t understand the reference

It just means that the idea that he is loved on either side of the Tweed is ludicrous.

I imagine some might like the idea of him at 15, but most would agree is best position is not in the 15. Utility could be perfect.

"The people want what they want" was the quote.

I don't think many rugby people would agree.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

I was discussing this recently with some mates - how different might the rugby landscape be right now if KB (Kurtley Beale) had just put his shirt on back in 2014?

Or, having failed to do that because he's a drunk dickhead, if RA had said "you know what mate, despite your marketing value as the only (forgive me if I get this wrong but as far as I can tell no one else is in any significant cultural mix/heritage) Aboriginal player on the team you just ain't worth the drama to have around, ciao", instead of what happened, where would we be?

Jake White bailed on the Brumbies only because he was dicked around about getting the Wallabies job - only happened after EM washed his hands of RA - HUGE loss to the Brumbies.

EM - whatever he did wrong with Di Patson, by all accounts she was very good in her role and the other 8-10 players who were also asked to dress appropriately on that flight by her didn't even blink at the request. Net result - we lost him just when the work he had put in was starting to come to fruition. Cheika then walzed in, revved everyone up for a few months, profited from the work EM did and was hailed as the Messiah, and just like all Messiahs, turns out they're just very naughty boys that are full of shit.

Cheika/Tahs - Did a great job there. How much better would it have been if he stuck around there for another 3-4 years? Maybe, just maybe, he's actually a good coach and might have turned around he toxic 'trust fund baby' type culture that they have and rebuilt the club? He was doing a good job, who knows where that might have gone if he'd stuck around for a few more seasons? Super Rugby winning coach, top quality squad battling it out with the Brumbies and their Super Rugby/WC winning coach/top quality squad....?

Net result - Brumbies lose White, Wallabies lose EM, Tahs lose Cheika. Fuck me.....just imagine if those coaching roles hadn't changed for 3-4 years instead of KB (Kurtley Beale) being a protected species despite his (shitloads more than anyone else I can think of) 'indiscretions' ?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jake White bailed on the Brumbies only because he was dicked around about getting the Wallabies job - only happened after EM washed his hands of RA - HUGE loss to the Brumbies.

Actually, Jake White left the Brumbies after EM was appointed Wallabies coach.........

But yes, Australian rugby became far worse off after losing three international quality coaches - it's something that I feel gets overlooked when discussing the mediocrity of our teams after that period, when we had three teams competing for the finals that eventuated in two championships and a runner up.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Instead of keeping Kerevi I'd lock down six absolute guns: L Wright, Scott-Young, McReight (signed for next year but extend ASAP), Harry Wilson (signed for next year but extend ASAP), I Lucas and M Wood.

Hands down that would be a great deal for the Reds. Kerevi leaving could almost be a blessing in disguise???