• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hockings was starting lock in the last game - a 40 point win over the Bulls.

In form he's in the 15.

did he start behind Blythe at all when fit??? yeah probably a bit harsh by me. But he doesn't seem far in front of Blythe in the pecking order.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So it's clearly not about the money (on which grounds alone no other Aus franchise should sign him imo) but, as I've seen suggested, a falling out with BT either due to or causing him to be overlooked for the captaincy. At 23/24 ffs. Talk about entitlement.

We don't know I guess. Could be both. Personally I think it's all about money. You'd have to have a very fragile ego to want out just because you lost the captaincy (whilst also justifying why you didn't get it).

And I expect all 3 to go to Japan. Rodda might find a home in the Top 14 or UK maybe.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think this is all about money, they’re concerned about their future earnings on contracts signed.
However Hockings Is the one which has me confused, he was off-contract, and I would have thought playing rugby would have helped his value to oversee as bidders. He must have already been offered some fairly lucrative overseas contract to play this card now.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think this is all about money, they’re concerned about their future earnings on contracts signed.
However Hockings Is the one which has me confused, he was off-contract, and I would have thought playing rugby would have helped his value to oversee as bidders.

That is unless he hasn’t already been tabled a lucrative offer.. which would make more sense

He was, by RA and QLD to join the rest of the young players coming through on long term deal.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He was, by RA and QLD to join the rest of the young players coming through on long term deal.

Sure, but that does nothing to ease concerns about actually receiving future earnings on contracts already signed.

My point is those two players conceivably have a reason to fight to break contract, Hockings seems to have far less to gain given he was off contract anyway

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Sure, but that does nothing to ease concerns about actually receiving future earnings on contracts already signed.

My point is those two players conceivably have a reason to fight to break contract, Hockings seems to have far less to gain given he was off contract anyway
Agree re Hockings. The situation with broadcast deals in OZ is so uncertain. No guarantee of future big contracts here, so shore up your future

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't understand any of them making the decision if reports are true.

Hockings as mentioned is off contract. So now he forgoes 6 months of pay (some of that reduced) to sign somewhere else on big money (if that exists in the current climate and with his experience) which he could have signed now anyway and left after Nov 30 with considerably more money in his pocket and his reputation in tact.

Rodda equally, gives up 6 months of contract money, worth considerably more than most, to move to another franchise with the same concern over the potential of the franchise to pay any future earnings. That coupled with the fact that any new contract would require substantial input from RA the hand he has just bitten to top up the new earnings to near his current salary as well as the significant hit to his reputation on seemingly spitting the dummy from missing out on the captaincy. Surely the smarter play was to work with both clubs to figure out a swap similar to the Rebels, Tahs, Maddocks deal if the intent is to stay in the domestic market.

Lucas doesnt seem to have the same value in the market as the other two. Given the reduced earning capacity worldwide due to proposed salary cap cuts in most countries, and supposedly with Lucas part of the PONI squad potential earnings from Wallabies games would increase firstly his earning capacity domestically and his value overseas moving forward as opposed to his value as an uncapped player in the Top League even given he wouldn't be a quota player. Again the damage to reputation is also a massive down side for a young and not fully established player.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rodda equally, gives up 6 months of contract money, worth considerably more than most, to move to another franchise with the same concern over the potential of the franchise to pay any future earnings. That coupled with the fact that any new contract would require substantial input from RA the hand he has just bitten to top up the new earnings to near his current salary as well as the significant hit to his reputation on seemingly spitting the dummy from missing out on the captaincy. Surely the smarter play was to work with both clubs to figure out a swap similar to the Rebels, Tahs, Maddocks deal if the intent is to stay in the domestic market.

RA terminated all of their contracts today, so Rodda won't be getting picked up by another Australian team.........

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Lucas had his hands all over that no 10 jersey. The Red alternatives were both mentors which gave him a method of sliding into the role before expectations grew too hard.

I dont see why he would displace Will Harrison in the same sort of apprentice role. Nor over Lolesio. And not over Deegan in a hurry.

Lucas' shot was the Reds - an opportunity that I had thought was a slam dunk.

I was more thinking as a 15 not a 10. Particularly now that Beale is gone. I would have rated Lucas as 3rd or 4th pick 10 at the Reds and not 1st pick 15 so I think it would be good for his development to move somewhere he is getting plenty of game time. Would be a nice combo with Harrison 10 and Lucas 15 down there

Reactions: dru

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
RA terminated all of their contracts today, so Rodda won't be getting picked up by another Australian team...
I had been told that all 3 had signed Japanese contracts before the announcement. Only hearsay I might add, but surely you wouldn't leave an existing contract at this point without having a new deal

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I had been told that all 3 had signed Japanese contracts before the announcement. Only hearsay I might add, but surely you wouldn't leave an existing contract at this point without having a new deal

And I reckon if Rodda was disgruntled with Thorn and wanted to change to another Australian team, that probably could've been done without rejecting the RUPA approved paycut.............

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Seems to be consistent with how Piccone conducted the Kerevi contract saga, so wouldn't surprise me if this is the case.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are player agents/ managers accredited in any way? I seem to recall the NRL cancelling the accreditation of agents & managers in the past. Given Picone's history it'd be understandable if RA refused to have anything more to do with him.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Are player agents/ managers accredited in any way? I seem to recall the NRL cancelling the accreditation of agents & managers in the past. Given Picone's history it'd be understandable if RA refused to have anything more to do with him.

They all need to be RUPA accredited to deal domestically. Not sure if he would have contravened anything to allow them to cancel his accreditation like the NRL examples but I dont know enough of the inner workings of it all.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
They all need to be RUPA accredited to deal domestically. Not sure if he would have contravened anything to allow them to cancel his accreditation like the NRL examples but I dont know enough of the inner workings of it all.

Agree. Unfortunately you can't just cancel someone's accreditation for being a fuckwit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

So untouchable then. Oh well, as my dad used to say "there's more than one way to,skin a rat, boy". Some just take a little longer & are a little messier.

Past behaviour being the best indicator of future behaviour, you'd hope overseas Clubs will take these shenanigans into account when framing their offers.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
So much speculation so I'll jump in with mine... I see a common thread on all the disgruntled personnel issues - Thorn. I never thought he was the right man for the job and absolutely nothing to date has made me change my mind.

Interesting banter between QC (Quade Cooper) and Rodda on QC (Quade Cooper)'s Insta page:

Screenshot_20200523-132447_Instagram.jpg