• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He asks Sam Greene and Jake McIntyre who their manager is and how to get a sweet gig somewhere overseas?

I would hope RA would pull the Reds aside and say letting Stewart go is an extremely stupid decision. The QRU has invested time, energy and money into developing Stewart and he's now starting to show glimpses of what he's capable of. You want to throw that all away??

It's the same for Mack Mason, the Tahs botched his development and Australian Rugby is worse off. Outside of Hegarty, the other starting 10s are in the twilight of their careers, you need guys like Stewart and Mason being ready to be slotted in at an International level.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a solution we should be be considering.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I would hope RA would pull the Reds aside and say letting Stewart go is an extremely stupid decision. The QRU has invested time, energy and money into developing Stewart and he's now starting to show glimpses of what he's capable of. You want to throw that all away??

It's the same for Mack Mason, the Tahs botched his development and Australian Rugby is worse off. Outside of Hegarty, the other starting 10s are in the twilight of their careers, you need guys like Stewart and Mason being ready to be slotted in at an International level.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a solution we should be be considering.
That's the reality of list management. If the Reds plans for Stewart is as a solid bench option (I have no idea what their plans are) he's going to be paid relatively little.

Unless they can get themselves to the Wallabies pretty quickly they probably won't be able to keep Lucas, McGahan and Stewart over the medium term.

So you make your choice

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just to emphasise the point. If you want to be a Wallaby play maker and you haven't made it by 23 (and Foley was Captain of the Sevens team and player of the year at age 21) you're probably not going to make it. Mason is 23 this year. Stewart will be 22 at the start of next season. Here's hoping he stays around and makes this list.

Player Wallaby debut
BT Foley 23
MP (Moana Pasifika) To'omua 23
KJ Beale 20
JD O'Connor 18
QS Cooper 20
BS Barnes 21
MJ Giteau 20
EJ (Eddie Jones) Flatley 20
SJ Larkham 22

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Unless they can get themselves to the Wallabies pretty quickly they probably won't be able to keep Lucas, McGahan and Stewart over the medium term.
So you make your choice

Lucas and McGahan are in my eyes, behind Stewart in terms of overall development. McGahan has had what, 1 start and maybe 1 off the bench cameo this year? In any event, I think between Hegarty, Stewart, McGahan and Lucas, all four blokes will get plenty of game time over two (or three if you count 12) positions next year whether it be through injury or through rotation.

In relation to your age cut off, Stewart was roped into the Wallaby's camp last year, so he is there, or thereabouts in terms of Wallaby selectors.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Have to agree. The best I've seen of Stewart is at 12. But his work at 15 has got a lot better lately.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Just to emphasise the point. If you want to be a Wallaby play maker and you haven't made it by 23 (and Foley was Captain of the Sevens team and player of the year at age 21) you're probably not going to make it. Mason is 23 this year. Stewart will be 22 at the start of next season. Here's hoping he stays around and makes this list.

Player Wallaby debut
BT Foley 23
MP (Moana Pasifika) To'omua 23
KJ Beale 20
JD O'Connor 18
QS Cooper 20
BS Barnes 21
MJ Giteau 20
EJ (Eddie Jones) Flatley 20
SJ Larkham 22

this is like the dumbest logic. Just because our previous system has failed us doesn't mean that these guys are no good for Australia, particularly with a new system being put in place.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
this is like the dumbest logic. Just because our previous system has failed us doesn't mean that these guys are no good for Australia, particularly with a new system being put in place.
Of course it'd be great if they stayed. But if they hit 23 and are up for another two year contract at Super rugby reserve rates they are going to leave for more money os. There always the next big thing coming through next year to take their place at the development pay rate

Add in Wallaby match fees and RA topups and salaries get more competative. That's why I said I hope the likes of Stewart cracks the Wallabies next year

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I guess he's worth a go but seems pretty happy in Japan. ALthough he is from Brisbane isn't he?
No, he grew up in Gunnedah in NSW country. He played u15s for NSW before getting a scholarship at a GPS school, then went straight to Japan

B

Bobby Sands

Lucas and Petaia will like two brand spanking recruits next season, and they will both be starters.

I am a big fan of Stewart and think his best position will be 12, but if not 15. Plenty to offer.

I am also a big fan of Hegarty and think he will be a good 10 to help work with Lucas who will eventually inherit that spot. Hegarty will offer great utility and experience for a few more seasons.

Carter Gordon has also been pretty dominant in prems as an 18 year old 10. Bodes well.

A few more experienced heads like Speight can only be a good thing.

How we let go of both Ikitau and Noah, not to mention Pasitoa is literally bewildering.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Don't know the story behind Ikitau and Noah , but Pasitoa was offered a Reds contract . Have heard it was basically the same terms that he accepted with the Brumbies. Got to remember he showed up here as a 16 year old from WA, not exactly a diehard Qlder and must like what he sees down in Canberra.