• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies Trial Match - Cairns - 11 Feb 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Kev is a pretty skilful loosehead who came over to Aus just after the start of the 2010 premier comp. Played mainly 1st grade until Heath Tessmann got injured half way through that year and Kev stepped up and really shone. He has a very good work rate in both attack and defence at club level. Got dominated by Holmes in the 2011 club semi but so did the whole uni pack. He shouldn’t be held to that performance alone. I would say that was one of the few times in 2 years I saw him bested at scrum time at club level. Also a pretty bright fella having graduated from Oxford back home

Credit to Red Heavy who posted this reply in the Reds thread. For anyone wondering who the hell Kev Davis is

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Watched Davies going around a few times for Uni. Looks quite mobile. Didn't I read somewhere that he may have played in an England age team?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
That looks like the whole squad!
Murphy, Frisby, Davis and Anae are all EPS, leaving UJ as the only EPS player not travelling. I'm guessing he's injured. Not travelling from the main 31 look to be Hynes, Fainga'a A, Davies, Cooper and Van.

Hopefully the injuries to the non-travellers (apart from Cooper who we know about) are not that bad.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Quade Cooper (knee), Rod Davies (hamstring, coming along well, due to history more precaution than normal is being taken), Anthony Fainga'a (shoulder, Op recovery going well, was running around yesterday arvo), Van Humphries (elbow, Haven't seen him and don't know how bad.), Peter Hynes (knee, We know about him) and UJ Seuteni (hand, He was running around with hand strapped.)

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
QRU Media Release: Ten Wallabies headline St.George Queensland Reds Cairns trial squad

The St.George Queensland Reds will unleash a near full strength line-up when they travel to Cairns for their opening trial game of 2012 against the ACT Brumbies on Saturday night.

Wallabies stars James Horwill, Will Genia and Digby Ioane headline an extended 30-man squad set to ignite Barlow Park in what will be the Queensland Reds’ first match together since their Super Rugby heroics last July.

The playing group includes 10 capped Wallabies from 2011 with the only players not available for the encounter ruled out through injury – Quade Cooper (knee), Rod Davies (hamstring), Anthony Fainga'a (shoulder), Van Humphries (elbow), Peter Hynes (knee) and UJ Seuteni (hand).

The encounter against the Brumbies is one of two selection trial opportunities the team will receive before coach Ewen McKenzie cements his starting XV for round one.

It was also be an opportunity for the squad to test themselves against a Brumbies team coming off a strong 25-0 victory over the Force at the weekend.

“The Brumbies were impressive against the Force and their willingness to take penalty goals in their opening trial is evidence of the winning culture Jake White wants to instil down in Canberra,” McKenzie said.

“Winning is a habit they’ll want to continue in Cairns so it’s now up to us to tackle that challenge, while at the same time ensure we test some new structures and ideas we’re wanting to implement this coming season.

“These derby trials are always tough but it will be a good test to see which players put their training efforts into practice in the heat of the battle.”

The Reds fly to Cairns on Thursday February 9 and will spend five days in the North Queensland community before flying to Perth to take on the Force on February 16.

While in Cairns the Reds will be heavily involved in school and community visits while they will also be visiting the St.George Bank's Cairns branch on Friday signing autographs and meeting fans.

Tickets to the St.George Queensland Reds and ACT Brumbies trial match in Cairns can be purchased at www.ticketlink.com.au.

St.George Queensland Reds Trial Squad v ACT Brumbies
Forwards
Albert Anae
Ben Daley
Kevin Davis
Saia Fainga'a*
Liam Gill
James Hanson
Scott Higginbotham*
Greg Holmes
James Horwill*
David McDuling
Eddie Quirk
Beau Robinson*
Radike Samo*
Jake Schatz
Guy Shepherdson
Rob Simmons*
James Slipper*
Adam Wallace-Harrison
Backs
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Nick Frisby
Will Genia*
Michael Harris
Digby Ioane*
Jono Lance
Ben Lucas
Luke Morahan
Dallan Murphy
Dom Shipperley
Ben Tapuai*
Aidan Toua
*Received a Wallabies cap in 2011

ENDS

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would appreciate any mention of McDuling, CFS, Toua, Tapuai or Gill - good, bad or ugly.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
good look forward to the lads getting along under link... Gills been talked up for a while 2 like Colby Fainga'a was at the Brumbies, it puts a lot of pressure on these lads. I've watch Gill at U20s and he's been solid... big opportunity at the Reds for him as they don't really have a 7...

looking at eh above line up I'm still not sure the Reds know how to play with Coops... as they've spent the past two years adjusting to his unorthodox plays... But Harris looks good so perhaps the off season has locked him in at 10...

Who's the backs coach at the QLD Reds?:

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
good look forward to the lads getting along under link... Gills been talked up for a while 2 like Colby Fainga'a was at the Brumbies, it puts a lot of pressure on these lads. I've watch Gill at U20s and he's been solid... big opportunity at the Reds for him as they don't really have a 7...

Who's the backs coach at the QLD Reds?:

I'd probably argue that playing in a S15-winning final while still eligible for colts indicates that Gill has been given, and is taking, all opportunities and running with them. As far as not really having a 7, I was pretty happy with both Beau Robinson and Liam last season and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Link plays the two against different oppositions etc, keeping both 7s happy. This is particularly important in light of both boys extending their contracts.

Reds don't have forwards and backs coaches, they have attack and defence coaches. It's because Link believes that all players should know how to perform both roles in the team. To preempt the QC (Quade Cooper) barbs, yes, I'd imagine they trained him playing fullback defensively at training too. It's probably this coaching structure that allowed the Reds to do so successfully

And there's a lot of information on McDuling on these forums. You can put his name in the search box at the top of the page and see some.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Personally I would like to see a run with Gill at 7 and Beau at 6 and see what happens. Could be interesting. Otherwise I agree with Cat_A, both 7's have been great last year so don't really understand what you are getting at Mudskipper.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm thinking he like the traditional Australian 7 I think I prefer the beau style 7 unless his name starts with George and ends with smith.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Personally I would like to see a run with Gill at 7 and Beau at 6 and see what happens. Could be interesting. Otherwise I agree with Cat_A, both 7's have been great last year so don't really understand what you are getting at Mudskipper.

Bit tough on Higgers, the Reds need a forward like him in the side. So many others can play tight especially with Schatz likely getting more game time and expecting Radike to be played off the bench a bit more. Expecting big things from him this year and taking 6 off Rocky for the Wobs. Real shame they won't be going head to head until the last round.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm looking forward to many tag team displays from Beau and Gill this year, hopefully beginning with this trial. Anyone remember the Wales test from 2009 where the first half was Pocock and the second half was George and they both put on openside masterclasses? Well, it won't be as good as that...but it might be good.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Will be interesting to see how Gill comes on this year more for the Wallabies job IMO. Can't see that he'll challenge Bam just yet (esp with his added leadership responsibilities now) but who knows what change an injury might bring.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bit tough on Higgers, the Reds need a forward like him in the side. So many others can play tight especially with Schatz likely getting more game time and expecting Radike to be played off the bench a bit more. Expecting big things from him this year and taking 6 off Rocky for the Wobs. Real shame they won't be going head to head until the last round.

Yep agree it would be tough on Higgers. I also should of mentioned that I would put Higgers on with them at 8. Just interested to see how it would go. Figured it would give the reds some startch in the forwards if they are struggling to go forward.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit of a shame Gill and Pocock aren't decent lineout options, will likely stop them playing together.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't think Gill will challenge Bam this year, however having the option is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.