• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies Trial Match - Cairns - 11 Feb 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not if most people are discussing it as a long term possibility.

But seriously, if you're going to pollute every Brumbries thread with your over-hyping and snide remarka it's a bit hypocritical to criticise people for rationally discussing a legitimate prospect for Aus rugby.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The starting team has been announced:

1. Ben Daley (c)
2. Albert Anae
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. Adam Wallace-Harrison
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Radike Samo
9. Nick Frisby
10. Mike Harris
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Jono Lance
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Dallan Murphy

Ben Lucas is to play the second half at 5/8. Interesting that Link has gone with a playmaker at 13 - indeed that's where a lot of Cooper's best moments come from imo (e.g. when he took the field with Barnes briefly at the end of last year, often he would pop up at 13 mid-move in attack).
http://Link
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/5333/Default.aspx

T

tranquility

Lance is certainly a playmaker and a good 10. But he has played 13 for Uni, and he plays it like a center. He is incredibly strong in contact.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So RugbyReg didn't get a jumper. I was backing him all the way. Link did say you were his 6th choice 5/8 behind him. All I saw was the headline 'Link to come out of retirement'

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
The starting team has been announced:

1. Ben Daley (c)
2. Albert Anae
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. Adam Wallace-Harrison
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Radike Samo
9. Nick Frisby
10. Mike Harris
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Jono Lance
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Dallan Murphy

Ben Lucas is to play the second half at 5/8. Interesting that Link has gone with a playmaker at 13 - indeed that's where a lot of Cooper's best moments come from imo (e.g. when he took the field with Barnes briefly at the end of last year, often he would pop up at 13 mid-move in attack).

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/5333/Default.aspx

Thanks so no established halves combo... No Saia, Horwill or Higgs... mmm another coach bubble rapping his squad, is it? Shipperley great name for a winger, but will he see the ball for those halves... as Harris as said he wants to run in the press this week...
Brumbies may win this match also... go get them boys, they're half as good as they think they're... :D

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm suprised Morahan wasn't given first dig at 13. Also it says UJ is in the squad now, he wasn't originally named was he?

So for the second half could we expect something similar to.......

1- Slipper
2-Fainga'a/Hanson
3- Shepherdson
4- Horwill
5- Wallace-Harrison/Samo/Simmons
6- Higginbotham
7- Gill
8- Shatz
9- Genia
10- Lucas
11- Ioane
12- Harris
13- Morahan
14- Shipperely/CFS
15- Toua

With Davis and UJ to come on aswell.

Also credit for Ben Daley for being named as captain, often fly's under the radar when people think about the leadership group.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Mudskipper I'm not sure where you got the impression that the side that was announced is the same side that will play all four quarters. As you can see from reading over the previous posts, the Reds are taking up a full squad. In fact other posters have commented that it looks like their entire squad.

I'm surprised you didnt already know, but it's customary in trial games to play four quarters using as many different players in different combinations as necessary. Although the Rebels posted the team for each quarter, from my research they are the only franchise to do so. I'd imagine Link has a pretty good idea how his "Golden boys" will play, so I am actually reassured that he's starting the non-Wallabies so he can see how they go against fresh opposition. It's indicative of a man who plans to use his bench this year in my opinion. And it shows that he doesn't think the result of a trial counts for competition points.

I'm expecting the Brumbies to look a game better than the Reds (hope that makes sense) simply because this is their 2nd and the Reds 1st trial. Player management looks like its going to be a huge issue this year (as an aside).

On the halves combo, given that the 10 from last year is injured, I'm sure this wasn't a surprise to you.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I'm surprised Morahan wasn't given first dig at 13. Also it says UJ is in the squad now, he wasn't originally named was he?

Doubt we will see Moz at 13, the coaches don't seem to see him there, even if us forum selectors can. He is being trained and planned as a back 3 player.

No, UJ wasn't originally named, the hand is obviously healing well.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Doubt we will see Moz at 13, the coaches don't seem to see him there, even if us forum selectors can. He is being trained and planned as a back 3 player.

No, UJ wasn't originally named, the hand is obviously healing well.

Dammit, us forum selectors know best! Would like to see Morahan at least tried at 13.

UJ might get a few minutes on the wing? or at 10/12?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Quade Cooper (knee), Rod Davies (hamstring, coming along well, due to history more precaution than normal is being taken), Anthony Fainga'a (shoulder, Op recovery going well, was running around yesterday arvo), Van Humphries (elbow, Haven't seen him and don't know how bad.), Peter Hynes (knee, We know about him) and UJ Seuteni (hand, He was running around with hand strapped.)
Mr Timms, the part about ''Peter Hynes (knee, We know about him)'' - what do we know about his come back?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Lance is certainly a playmaker and a good 10. But he has played 13 for Uni, and he plays it like a center. He is incredibly strong in contact.
Yes, he has a low centre of gravity and legs that move like pistons when he's tackled - got him out of a few hairy moments as fullback for the Reds last year.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Dammit, us forum selectors know best! Would like to see Morahan at least tried at 13.

UJ might get a few minutes on the wing? or at 10/12?

Us forum selectors should also be allowed to coach from the safety of our keyboards. It is an outrage I say that the ARU has not set up such a system. 1000 keyboard experts would surely do an awesome job.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I thought Albert Anae was released. And I thought he was originally a prop. Is James Hanson still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.