• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies Trial Match - Cairns - 11 Feb 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's correct.

He still has this year to run on his contract, they are honouring it. They wont say otherwise.

Interesting that 'they' (Reds or Hynes) won't even come out and say 'His knee's fucked so he won't be back.' The fact that there is a year left on his contract is a fine explanation as to why he is working on the organisation. Just won't come out and say it.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Larkham braces Brumbies for Queensland acid test

A comfortable first-up win against the Western Force was a good start but backs coach Stephen Larkham knows the ACT Brumbies face their first real test when they meet reigning Super Rugby champion Queensland on Saturday.

The Reds will boast a near full-strength line-up against the Brumbies in Cairns with mercurial playmaker Quade Cooper, who will miss the start of the season due a knee injury, the only notable omission.

Upon winning last year's Super Rugby title Queensland joined the Brumbies as the only Australian teams to win the competition.

Saturday's trial against the Reds will give the Canberra team a gauge of how far away it is from experiencing the same scenes of joy that erupted not long after last year's Super Rugby grand final against the Crusaders.

''They're pretty much full-strength, so I think it'll be a good challenge coming up against the premiers from last year. Just looking at their backline, they've got everyone bar Quade Cooper,'' he said.

''It's going to be a good test for the boys, we've already spoken about that. We've had a couple of training sessions this week and the guys are certainly looking forward to it.''

Despite the Brumbies enjoying a dominant record against the Reds - they've won 16 of their 18 games since Super Rugby began - Larkham still felt the hit-out would provide a good guide to where his team was at.
Going in as underdogs, the Brumbies caused a massive upset when they beat the Reds 22-14 at Suncorp Stadium last season.

''We had a good game against them last year and that was one of the highlights of our season, going up there and beating them up there was certainly something we really enjoyed and I guess if you look over time as a whole, we've had a very good record against the Reds,'' Larkham said.

''Barring a hiccup last year at home, we always seem to win at home against them. It's only a trial match so we can't get too carried away with it but we want to put some good form on the board going into the season.

''We've already talked about how we started well with a good win against the Force and we played really well in the game, and we want to back that up with some more good form so that we have some confidence in the first few rounds of the season.''
He said it would be interesting to see how the Reds adapt to life without Cooper.

The former Brumbies and Wallabies great was especially interested to see how they'd cope without the unpredictable five-eighth's kicking game, which was a large part of their game plan.
''The dynamic of the team is going to be different. He was so controlling and so unpredictable and that was their style,'' Larkham said.

''One thing that doesn't come up very often, though, is that the Reds were the highest kicking team in the competition last year, even though you wouldn't think it by the way they played, and Quade was a big part of that kicking game.
''He's an excellent kicker of the game, along with Will Genia ... so that's probably going to be the hardest aspect for them to regain.''
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...queensland-acid-test/2449263.aspx?storypage=0

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought Albert Anae was released. And I thought he was originally a prop. Is James Hanson still around?

Albert went from being in the top squad to becoming one of the EPS players. He was offered a full squad position in another state but wanted to stay in Brisbane and back himself to make it into the top squad again.
He was originally a LHP but has been training as a hooker as well as playing prop since leaving school. It is more likely to be his long term position.

Hanson is still around. I guess Link just wants to see all his options.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Heard he was working in Business Development for the Reds.
Then that definitely could explain the 31 squad members. If he cannot play the whole season, but for legal/contract reasons he has to be included in the squad, the ARU or whoever might have given dispensation to the Reds to have a 31 man squad.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Then that definitely could explain the 31 squad members. If he cannot play the whole season, but for legal/contract reasons he has to be included in the squad, the ARU or whoever might have given dispensation to the Reds to have a 31 man squad.

Yep that is what we are all thinking. Would just be nice for someone in the right quarters to come out and say that. Endless spectulation get us no where.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think this way he isn't ruled out and if, by some miracle it seems, he comes back he can be part of the action. He has been very loyal to Qld and was great for the Wallabies when he played for them.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think this way he isn't ruled out and if, by some miracle it seems, he comes back he can be part of the action. He has been very loyal to Qld and was great for the Wallabies when he played for them.

Not doubting his loyalty. And yes he has been a good player and if he can come back that would be magic. I actually think that the injury was a tradegy when it happened as I think that he could have put he stamp on the Wallaby FB position with how he was shaping up at the time. I have already been fielding questions from supporters of other Super Rugby franchises about the fact that the Reds have 31 in the playing squad, and my reply of 'Not 100% sure but I think....., and guess there is a concession for ARU', is starting to wear a little thin. Just want an answer one way of the other, as do I am sure many others.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Reds seemed to be trying to do something with their Twitter feed for tonights Trial. Follow at @Reds_Rugby. @quadeCooper might tweet something as well.
Big hit out for the brumbies lads tonight... Go get them boys show Jake what you got fir 2012... Thanks for the twitter lead, I'll check in during the match

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
i think rideke might end up in Van Humphries position, a distant back up. this seems a big let down but realistically you need to look to the future and I think Robinson, Gill and Higgers have to be 6,7 and 8 and you have to keep shatz happy so he needs game time. Samos best shot is as a supersub who can cover a lot of positions

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
i think rideke might end up in Van Humphries position, a distant back up. this seems a big let down but realistically you need to look to the future and I think Robinson, Gill and Higgers have to be 6,7 and 8 and you have to keep shatz happy so he needs game time. Samos best shot is as a supersub who can cover a lot of positions
Whilst I doubt Higginbotham will be the 8 ahead of Samo (Shatz will get that spot), before people say " Gill and Robinson are both opensides, they will never play together!", I've heard from a little bird that Link is eager to play them in tandem at some point this year.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
i think that running 2 flamkers will be the best way to play, all an opposing team has to do is to tie up one flanker and at the next breakdown you are assured of getting second phase play, if you have robbinson at the first ruck, then gill at the seqcond trying to pilfer then have higgers or kev ready at the third and fourth if robbinson and gill are busy then an opponant can only go sideways. 2 flankers allows you to stop progression of an opponant

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
There are pros and cons to everything. It's part of what makes Rugby and the changing tactics and patterns of play so interesting to dissect on forums such as these. By playing Gill and Robinson at 6 and 7, what you gain at the breakdown, you'll probably lose somewhere else. Maybe the line-out, maybe in ball-carrying.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Whilst I doubt Higginbotham will be the 8 ahead of Samo (Shatz will get that spot), before people say " Gill and Robinson are both opensides, they will never play together!", I've heard from a little bird that Link is eager to play them in tandem at some point this year.
Horses for courses. You probably wouldn't play them against a big bopper SAffer side but you might just pair them up against a fast playing team like the Crusaders. So long as the 8 is a 3rd lineout option, even if used just once or twice a half, playing two opensiders can help.

I recall that Smith and Waugh did well against NZ in the 2003 RWC semi.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
we can get an extra person in the lineout by using number 1 more, everytime i remember a ball going to nuber one position we won it, why not do this more and usehiggers and 2 second rowers to jump? this gives 4 options

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
we can get an extra person in the lineout by using number 1 more, everytime i remember a ball going to nuber one position we won it, why not do this more and usehiggers and 2 second rowers to jump? this gives 4 options

But what do you do with No 1 ball?, it is too often slow set up ball.

sonny crockett

Allen Oxlade (6)
But what do you do with No 1 ball?, it is too often slow set up ball.
And keeps the back of their lineout in action, is a big pass from halfback, leaves exposure at the front to the hooker that is theoretically closer than the thrower (next support man)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
even if you take it to ground a few times it makes the opposition defend against it

And if you maul it at pace you allow the team defending to enter from only one side (except for the winger). But its number one value is to allow a free run to the line a la Dave Dennis last year - admittedly against a very weak defensive formation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.