• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chriscullen

I hope this game lives up to expectations, The reds have had a 16 day break which should freshen them up but often hinders sides. As a crusaders fan living in brisvegas I just hope these teams finish 1,2 so we can watch them again in the grand final. Does anyone know best place to buy a kids reds jersey? Anywhere at Chermside shops?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Stu Dickinson will do his usual approach and ensure a clean fast ruck and the defensive line sitting off side.

It will be a compelling game

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
SBW laughs off McKenzie swipe
Richard Knowler

The louder the chirping, the less Sonny Bill Williams reckons he listens. Recently Peter de Villiers cranked up the volume by saying Williams's offloads were risky, and this week Queensland Reds coach Ewen McKenzie chimed in by saying they could backfire under pressure during Sunday night's match at a packed Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Williams, who has recovered from the bruised knee that ruled him out of last weekend's match against the Chiefs and has replaced second five-eighth Ryan Crotty against the Reds, isn't worried. ''Yeah, it happens every week … It is just a different person saying it,'' the competition's top offloader said. ''My kind of philosophy on rugby is that I have just got to back myself and play to my instincts.''

McKenzie believes those instincts, which often require Williams to rely on teammates to run the right line as he flips a no-look pass, come at a cost: ''He's got a good offloading game but those offloads don't always come off.''

After all the speculation and attention SBW has gone thru with the Bulldogs drama and then the NZRFU and ABs and now the Crusaders, I reckon this kind of stuff hardly has any effect on him or his game at all.

He seems very confident of just his own game, his abilities and coupled with a great work ethic and desire, just goes out and plays his game. I love it.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Time to start getting excited for this match. With all the hype and hoopla that has surrounded this fixture, in some ways it is disappointing that it is being played on a Sunday. A Saturday afternoon start would have meant 24 less anxious, nervous hours for me to wait. By Sunday I expect the excitement and tension levels will have built up to the point where the anticipation will be almost unbearable . Regardless, with a crowd of close to 50,000 expected I am sure that the QRU is very pleased with the scheduling of the game.

So much has been talked about the scrum contest. And yes the Crusaders should have an edge at scrum time. But the Crusaders tight forwards will also have to play very well to match the Reds front row in other facets if their team is to be competitive. The Reds front row has been a revelation in general play, and their Crusader counterparts will have to match them in this area if the Red’n’blacks are to compete in general play. The Reds pack have worked tirelessly at the tackle area, and have been adept at both securing counter-ruck turnovers, and recycling their own attacking ball with lightening speed.

I enjoyed Rod Kafer’s analysis on the Reds and Crusaders last night. As Kafer pointed out on last night’s Rugby Club, the Reds tight forwards are being used increasingly used as effective ball-runners close in to the ruck. The Reds will attack repeatedly through forward ball runners on either side of ruck, and because they know exactly which channels their team mates will be aiming for, they are very proficient at recycling ball. And when they are able to secure fast ball, and catch the defense on the back foot or outnumbered numerically, Genia is able to unleash hell through Quade Cooper and his potent backline.

One area of the game where the Reds will hold a clear, and potentially match winning advantage is at half back. Will Genia is arguably the form no.9 in SANZAR, with such a well rounded game. He directs his pack better than any halfback in the competition, has a great kicking game, a timely and accurate passing game, is brilliant defensively and poses a threat individually as a very effective and dangerous ball runner. His leadership and decision making is so important to this relatively inexperienced Reds team. In contrast, Willie Heinz is a gutsy but relatively limited journeyman. The Crusaders 3rd choice halfback (and arguably lucky not to be 4th choice given the quality of Steve Alfeld, who is in the Crusaders wider training squad and will be on the bench come Sunday), he will give 100% to the cause, and has built up a reputation as a combative and ultra-competitive scrumhalf for his Christchurch club Linwood. But he’s clearly not in the same league as Genia. Not even close. This mismatch puts extra pressure on Dan Carter to perform, who himself has only recently returned from injury and is opposing the rampant, in-form Quade Cooper.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Time to start getting excited for this match. With all the hype and hoopla that has surrounded this fixture, in some ways it is disappointing that it is being played on a Sunday. A Saturday afternoon start would have meant 24 less anxious, nervous hours for me to wait. By Sunday I expect the excitement and tension levels will have built up to the point where the anticipation will be almost unbearable . Regardless, with a crowd of close to 50,000 expected I am sure that the QRU is very pleased with the scheduling of the game.

So much has been talked about the scrum contest. And yes the Crusaders should have an edge at scrum time. But the Crusaders tight forwards will also have to play very well to match the Reds front row in other facets if their team is to be competitive. The Reds front row has been a revelation in general play, and their Crusader counterparts will have to match them in this area if the Red’n’blacks are to compete in general play. The Reds pack have worked tirelessly at the tackle area, and have been adept at both securing counter-ruck turnovers, and recycling their own attacking ball with lightening speed.

I enjoyed Rod Kafer’s analysis on the Reds and Crusaders last night. As Kafer pointed out on last night’s Rugby Club, the Reds tight forwards are being used increasingly used as effective ball-runners close in to the ruck. The Reds will attack repeatedly through forward ball runners on either side of ruck, and because they know exactly which channels their team mates will be aiming for, they are very proficient at recycling ball. And when they are able to secure fast ball, and catch the defense on the back foot or outnumbered numerically, Genia is able to unleash hell through Quade Cooper and his potent backline.

One area of the game where the Reds will hold a clear, and potentially match winning advantage is at half back. Will Genia is arguably the form no.9 in SANZAR, with such a well rounded game. He directs his pack better than any halfback in the competition, has a great kicking game, a timely and accurate passing game, is brilliant defensively and poses a threat individually as a very effective and dangerous ball runner. His leadership and decision making is so important to this relatively inexperienced Reds team. In contrast, Willie Heinz is a gutsy but relatively limited journeyman. The Crusaders 3rd choice halfback (and arguably lucky not to be 4th choice given the quality of Steve Alfeld, who is in the Crusaders wider training squad and will be on the bench come Sunday), he will give 100% to the cause, and has built up a reputation as a combative and ultra-competitive scrumhalf for his Christchurch club Linwood. But he’s clearly not in the same league as Genia. Not even close. This mismatch puts extra pressure on Dan Carter to perform, who himself has only recently returned from injury and is opposing the rampant, in-form Quade Cooper.

I thought DC had one of the best games I've seen from him in a while last week.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Bullrush

I didn't think he was that shabby either.

Going back to the article about SBW: the fans get more excited by this stuff than the players do which is why journalists write it. In order to start things off they design leading questions. Then other journalists in other parts of the world ask a player or coach to comment on what the first guy said.

Its an international convention by journalists to sustain employment of the members of the guild. And we lap it up; so they keep doing it.

But the players don't care a lot: they keep answering the questions else they will be crucified as being uncooperative.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
This match is going to be the biggest test of QC (Quade Cooper)'s kicking game to date. Field position will be crucial and any aimless or mistimed kicks will have the potential to be mercilessly punished.

C

chriscullen

I think Fruean is more exciting to watch than SBW , if Nonu can get back to his best I prefer him than SBW but Sonny gets the turnstiles clicking.
I wonder if the reds will attack Brent Wards wing or Marshall at fullback? Tom Marshall has been solid so far but Ward worries me sometimes.
Maybe it's just me but has anyone been more excited by a super 14/15 match in recent years.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't quite know where to put this, but the official Super Rugby facebook page has this poll up:

"Which match up most excites you this weekend Super fans? Let us know!

Quade Cooper v Dan Carter
Tom Carter v Meyer Bosman"

Erm... the first one.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't quite know where to put this, but the official Super Rugby facebook page has this poll up:

"Which match up most excites you this weekend Super fans? Let us know!

Quade Cooper v Dan Carter
Tom Carter v Meyer Bosman"

Erm... the first one.

Hahahahahaha....classic!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just had a quick play around on the Ticketek website and could not get 2 seats together. So unless there is a further release of tickets back on to the market it will be very close to a sell out. I think gettting the Super Rugby crowd record is a done deal now, even if it rains.

Cooper tweets 'nearly a sell out', and Ticketek now showing 'single seats only, any level'. Must be near 50,000 sold. Just incredible....wonderful for Aus (and maybe NZ?) rugby.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I thought DC had one of the best games I've seen from him in a while last week.

He played well. However my point is nonetheless valid. Heinz' relative inexperience puts increased pressure on Carter to control the game, lead the team around the park and make the play. If Andy Ellis or even Kahn Fotuali'i were available, these respobnsibilities would be shared.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cooper tweets 'nearly a sell out', and Ticketek now showing 'single seats only, any level'. Must be near 50,000 sold. Just incredible....wonderful for Aus (and maybe NZ?) rugby.

Wonderful for QLD, Australian Rugby and SANZAR more generally. The QLD crowds have responded to their team's success, and turned out in fantastic numbers. However, I also think this crowd is a reflection of the high esteem in which the Crusaders are held. If the Reds were playing the Lions this Sunday, I doubt that the crowd would be this big. Rugby supporters want to see the stars playing. Players like McCaw, Carter, SBW, Thorn, Wyatt Crockett, Fruean, Guildford and Owen Franks are stars. And that is why the NZRU's recent re-signing of Carter and McCaw was such a coup for all of SANZAR not just NZ. When SANZAR retains its star players, all three countries benefit.

08umema

Thank God we got our tickets early! Should be a great atmosphere and a great game!

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I hope this game lives up to expectations, The reds have had a 16 day break which should freshen them up but often hinders sides. As a crusaders fan living in brisvegas I just hope these teams finish 1,2 so we can watch them again in the grand final. Does anyone know best place to buy a kids reds jersey? Anywhere at Chermside shops?

If shopping at Chermside, I would go to Rebel Sports, and then compare the price with the Canterbury Shop.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It will be great to see a sea of Red at Lang Park on Sunday. I really hope the rain holds off and 52,000 show up.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He played well. However my point is nonetheless valid. Heinz' relative inexperience puts increased pressure on Carter to control the game, lead the team around the park and make the play. If Andy Ellis or even Kahn Fotuali'i were available, these respobnsibilities would be shared.

I wasn't saying that your point wasn't valid but simply that Carter and Heinz played together last week and Carter had a very good game.

To your point about increased pressure on Carter, I think QC (Quade Cooper) will actually be under more pressure despite the Genia factor. When you look at the Blues game and the Waratah game, I think QC (Quade Cooper) has been under pressure and his tactical kicking let him down. Against another great pack and backrow like the Crusaders, I'm keen to see how he holds up on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.