• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't want to get into a debate about whether QC (Quade Cooper) was right or wrong to behave the way he did after that match winning try. But can anyone seriously imagine Dan Carter behaving in such a petulant manner? I think Cooper has matured since then, and I doubt he would repeat his actions if the situation arose again.

of course he wasnt right to do it, it was stupid. My point was that richie isn't without and not the saint that some would have us believe. I was just responding to the linked article.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
You do come up with some pretty out there statements at times - say what you want about McCaw's play, but not that he is a cheap shot merchant. I can't recall when I saw him do anything like what Quade did.

In recent years he has started to scrag opposition players when they are defending in order to open up space for his teammates. Agree, however that he does not take cheap shots. Although, his infringements (illegal) at the breakdown are not exactly classy play.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
In recent years he has started to scrag opposition players when they are defending in order to open up space for his teammates. Agree, however that he does not take cheap shots. Although, his infringements (illegal) at the breakdown are not exactly classy play.

McCaw is pretty much squeaky clean. As a breakaway, and the top 7 in the game for the past 10 years, he has had to play on the edge and actually find out where each ref's edge lies. It's up to refs to call him on transgressions, but he is not nor has he ever been a cheap shot artist.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Change of Ref.

SANZAR NEWS RELEASE

INJURY FORCES WALSH WITHDRAWAL

A recurring calf injury continues to delay Steve Walsh’s return to Super Rugby refereeing.

Walsh was due to resume this weekend but has been forced to withdraw from the Reds vs Crusaders match in Brisbane on Sunday, as he continues to be frustrated by the injury, which is defying all treatment.

Walsh will be replaced by Stuart Dickinson, who was originally appointed Assistant Referee 1 for Sunday’s fixture. Nathan Pearce has been brought in as AR1.

Walsh has been given a further two weeks to get over the injury and SANZAR Game Manager, Lyndon Bray, is hopeful that he will be able to return for Rounds 17 and 18.

"This has been very frustrating for Steve as well as for us, as his early form gave us high hopes for him throughout the competition. We are prepared to give Steve all the time possible to treat the injury and hope to see him back in the middle before the end of the regular season.

“Based on his recent form, Stuart Dickinson will now take the whistle for the key clash on Sunday,” Bray confirmed.

Ends

Issued by SANZAR

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Steve Walsh injury - if it's the same calf tear, goes back to 6N, which is a long time ago. As with a player who has a recurring injury which keeps him out for yonks, it is possible that Walsh could miss the RWC.

In that case Mark Lawrence could get a call up - or Stu Dickinson.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Steve Walsh injury - if it's the same calf tear, goes back to 6N, which is a long time ago. As with a player who has a recurring injury which keeps him out for yonks, it is possible that Walsh could miss the RWC.

In that case Mark Lawrence could get a call up - or Stu Dickinson.

Mark Lawrence is in my opinion the best ref in the world. Should have been there from the start.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Change of Ref.

Cheers. This will be Dickinson 11th game this season. Hope he gets paid by the game, not the season. Jonker is next more capped ref this season, thie weekend being his 9th Super 15 game,

R

ripper868

This bodes well from Ticketek:
Availability:
Platinum: Alloc. Exhausted
Gold: Single seats only
Silver: Available
Away: Supporters Bay Alloc. Exhausted
Silver Unlicensed: Alloc. Exhausted

Can't wait for Sunday arvo!

P

Phantom_Prop

When imlooked earlier on ticketeks site at 4 silver tickets it was bay 728 row 74. Which is northern end middle of the field and pretty close to the last few rows from memory. Come on 50k crowd

C

chief

Crowd will be lower than expected as it's going to rain on Sunday. Won't stop my attendance though.

In the backs I can't wait to see Carter vs Cooper, and Fainga'a vs Sonny-Bill.

Forwards, I'm looking forward to Robinson vs McCaw, but also Slipper vs Franks.

Fuck me, I'm excited! Saders by two unfortunately.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Crowd will be lower than expected as it's going to rain on Sunday. Won't stop my attendance though.

All the closer/Premium and Gold tickets have been fully sold and the only available tickets are undercover.

Hopefully well have clear skies like the past two days, but who knows with this weath!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Crusaders have selected their best-scrummaging front row for this game. Surprise, surprise. If Slipper can hold up Fainga'a and Daley he will be an automatic first 15 selection for the world cup. But I fear another scrum massacre coming on.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Crusaders team is out -decent looking team.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/5057894/Sonny-Bill-Williams-Thorn-back-starting

All Blacks Sonny Bill Williams and Brad Thorn are back in the Crusaders lineup for Sunday's crunch Super Rugby clash with the Reds in Brisbane.

Williams has recovered from a bruised knee suffered in the match against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein two weeks ago and which kept him out of the win over the Chiefs in Napier. He replaces Ryan Crotty at second five-eighth.

Williams will be hoping he comes through injury-free, with his next professional boxing bout being held on Sunday week in Auckland when the Crusaders have a bye.

Lock Thorn came through 40 minutes in the victory over the Chiefs at Napier last Saturday after replacing Chris Jack. Thorn had previously been out for three weeks with a calf strain.

Thorn's return sees Luke Romano drop to the reserves bench.

Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder has also decided to swap the Franks brothers, with Owen taking over at tighthead ahead of brother Ben.

On the reserves bench, hooker Quentin MacDonald, who missed the Chiefs match with a sore lower back, is bracketed with David Hall.

And Matt Todd, who missed that game with a corked thigh, is bracketed with Joe Wheeler.

This will be a hugely influential match, not just to the New Zealand conference where the Crusaders trail the Blues by two points but also to the overall table, where the Reds have a four-point lead over the Blues.

Blackadder said his team was up for the challenge.

"This promises to be a massive match. The Reds are unbeaten at home this season and are on top of the table. But we're looking forward to the challenge and I'm confident we'll give a good account of ourselves," Blackadder said.

"I was pleased with the way we won against the Chiefs in Napier. This will be a different prospect entirely but we have the team to do well there."

Australian-based Kiwi referee Steve Walsh has been replaced by Australian Stu Dickinson for this fixture. Walsh continues to be plagued by a mystery calf injury.

Crusaders: Tom Marshall, Brent Ward, Robbie Fruean, Sonny Bill Williams, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Willi Heinz, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt), George Whitelock, Chris Jack, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Quentin MacDonald / David Hall, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Matt Todd / Joe Wheeler, Steve Alfred, Matt Berquist, Ryan Crotty

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Crusaders have selected their best-scrummaging front row for this game. Surprise, surprise. If Slipper can hold up Fainga'a and Daley he will be an automatic first 15 selection for the world cup. But I fear another scrum massacre coming on.

This is my biggest concern for the game. Slipper can scrum, Daley and Saia struggle. Gonna be tough up against the Franks boys and Crockett

Status
Not open for further replies.