• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels Rd 14, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

On June 1, 2013 the identical game at Suncorp gained a crowd of 31,504.

The decline in just two years is huge.

The numbers tell the story better than anything else could: the Graham era is threatening the commercial viability of the QRU.

Was it a Friday game?

T

Train Without a Station

I tend to agree with RH's line if a TV game takes attendees away though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
First of all, I didn't support the signing of these big names so not really interested in squeezing them in. If they don't fit, they don't fit. 13 isn't a weak position for the Reds. You mention Conrad Smith and funny enough we have a player already that fills that Mr Reliable kind of no thrills role with Ant Fainga'a, we won the title with him at 13 and he has one of the best defensive reads in the country. He is the one who controls the on field structure in defense for the Reds as Smith does in the sides he plays in. I don't care if he plays 12 or 13 but Fainga'a has proven crucial to the Reds in that role.

I though Hunt made more decent attacking decisions in that second half, than Ant has in the last year

T

TOCC

Yeah I liked Karmichaels performance at 13, whilst he didn't have a lot of involvement I thought he made the right decisions when he was involved, straightened up the attack for the players outside him.. He wasn't finding the space himself but he was helping create space for others..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Finally getting to watch my recording of this game and spotted something that amused me. The front rowers club in full force.
At 56:40 Genia fires a long ball from a ruck to Hanson who runs and has JOC (James O'Connor) calling for it outside. What does Hanson do? Cut out pass to Slipper who is running outside of JOC (James O'Connor). Love it when the fatties get some space to show the Jessica's how it's done. :)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It would be interesting to see how Hunt performed against a side that could hold the ball long enough to attack. With ball in hand it was the most we have seen from Hunt, though for mine he was OK not outstanding and the best performance the Reds have put together with RG in the system.

I still haven't recovered from the trauma of Timana Tahu at 13 to want to rush to any judgements on Hunt's viability in the position after one game where he wasn't really tested that much in defence and he made a few bad reads in those conditions.

T

Train Without a Station

He's biggest error was putting on his boots. I reckon I saw him slip over three times hot on attack or moving in defence.

I was very sceptical, but now I think it's a good spot to ease him in. His hands were great for McIntyre's try but I think he lacks the wheels to maximise his career at 13.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah a few needed longer studs. But in saying that, the pitch was in terrible condition.
I had a walk around before and after the game and it is just shit. Very heavy and slimy in places. Grass cover was pretty thin. I've played on plenty of club grounds better than that.

T

TOCC

Suncorp's pitch has been rubbish for years now, this year is the worst I have seen it though... Apparently the drainage system was never properly fixed following the 2011 floods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah that's what I've heard too. It's always looked bad on telly and from the stands but walking around on it was a real eye opener. Not good for one of Australia's premier stadiums. They really need to free up some of the calendar and just get it re done.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah that's what I've heard too. It's always looked bad on telly and from the stands but walking around on it was a real eye opener. Not good for one of Australia's premier stadiums. They really need to free up some of the calendar and just get it re done.

Largely second-rate greenkeepers and ditto the best grass-maintaining technologies.

Just compare Suncorp's pitch to that of Twickenham's on display tonight via the London 7s. London has far less sun, more rain, more squalls etc and just as big a 'shade overhangs' problem as does Suncorp here in sun-blessed Brisbane and Twikkers' surface looked 9.5/10 literally everywhere whereas Suncorp's looks around 3/10 if that.

And one totally unacceptable consequence of that score is that the side that must defend a scrum in the appalling NW corner area suffer a lottery of outcomes as the surface is simply shocking there.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Largely second-rate greenkeepers and ditto the best grass-maintaining technologies.

Just compare Suncorp's pitch to that of Twickenham's on display tonight via the London 7s. London has far less sun, more rain, more squalls etc and just as big a 'shade overhangs' problem as does Suncorp here in sun-blessed Brisbane and Twikkers' surface looked 9.5/10 literally everywhere whereas Suncorp's looks around 3/10 if that.

And one totally unacceptable consequence of that score is that the side that must defend a scrum in the appalling NW corner area suffer a lottery of outcomes as the surface is simply shocking there.
Aww, that's a bit rough on the groundskeepers dude.

Having half the solid contents of the Brisbane river deposited on its surface in 2011 severely shortened the lifespan of the drainage system - something that Twickenham has never had in the last 200 years I am sure.

Drainage technology has come a long way since this system was laid down - it will benefit by a new fitout now for sure. Stadiums Queensland just need to tell someone that they need to find a new home for a while (soccer - since they won't shaft the broncos and union virtually shares the same season)

Status
Not open for further replies.