• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reds at least can look forward to the return of Horwill, Genia, Samo and Ant. They should improve, but it looks forlorn for the Tahs.
Highly critical of a team after one performance BR - its a long season as a fellow Brumby supporter if 2012 taught us anything it was just that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
.../snip/...

I only watched half the game last night because it was my turn to cook dinner and therefore I had enough crap served up last night and didn't need any more :)
.../snip/...

Elfster's post could have come a bit earlier to help things out at Castle kbw. Bon apetit.

.../snip/....
The second thing, and I probably need to defer to Lindommer, but the 2010 Chapel Hill shiraz is a good rugby watching drink. Combined with slow cooked lamb (a shoulder @ 140 degrees for three hours after being marinated in verjuice,olive oil, garlic, lemons and fresh herbs ( rosemary et al) roasted over chicken stock and white wine. Throw in some kiplfer potatoes and a roasted beetroot,spinach and fetta cheese salad and it was a good and satisfying meal. The dessert was based on the tiramisu of Steven Manfredi. Perhaps a bit rich by the end of the game, but it went well with the Morris liqueur muscat.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Good win to an understrength Reds. I thought Gill out played Hooper. Quirk really stood up and looks like he's starting to believe he can go alright at this level. Cooper controlled things well. Shipperly did really well as did Digby. Good to see Simmons concentrate on playing rather than trying to be the hardman that he clearly isn't.

Tahs scrum was dominant. Barnes into 12 has gotta strengthen a major weakness. Folau looked like it was his first game.

I was nervous before the game but the Reds benefitted from last weeks hit out and got the cigars.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs scrum dominant after we dumped Tilse. Another Uni flat track bully, like Carter, who should be disposed of. Over 7 years in Tahs setup and only 16 caps, all off the bench, and we let someone like Dan Palmer walk? Fuck.

Conditions must have been crap for the players, but despite that both sides had a go, and turned on a half decent match. Credit there.

Tahs will be better for it, just need to get the combos right and pick the right players. Palu had better start crashing it up or he can fuck off too. Soft.

Backline needs changes. Folau bench (defence on that try unforgivable), not fullback. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 12, Horne 13, Kingston & Mitchell wings, Volavola fullback

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm with fatprop in that the type of game the Waratahs tried to play was promising, and certainly a much better ambition than the dire style that became the norm last year. But I am bitterly disappointed that the execution was just so poor in some basic areas - some defensive lapses, losing the ball in contact repeatedly and ineffective counter-ruck work at times when it was there to be done.
If they really want to attack on first phase, Carter is not really who they need there. That's not to say he made lots of errors, he hardly does, but it can't really work unless Foley starts to do something more around him; loops, cuts etc...
Some Wallabies seem to have started 2013 well behind the curve in fitness, dare I say, as bloody usual. Kepu, Palu, TPN spring to mind.
If the Tahs can cut down the simple errors in basic areas, but not abandon the enterprise, they'll get better. Rusty first up effort though.
Reds - good back row, and a decent win, but they'll be dissatisfied with the overall game I think. I think either team would have been put to the sword by the Highlanders or Chiefs.
Early days though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I agree with cyclo, but did the Chiefs or Highlanders play in shitty Brisvegas summer conditions? Ball in contact was a lottery for both teams last night.

I'm happy with the promise of intent shown, but hope the execution is a lot better against the Rebs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
....Backline needs changes. Folau bench (defence on that try unforgivable), not fullback. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 12, Horne 13, Kingston & Mitchell wings, Volavola fullback
What does AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) offer at 12 that TC does not?
IMO it's the style of player that needs to change at 12.
No point dropping TC for a player that will play exactly the same style IMO.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A few things came out of the match:
Although their execution was a little off, at least the Waratahs showed positive intent. I'm sure the bye last week didn't help, but that's the luck of the draw
Although Carter can catch and pass, when the pressure is on under fatigue, he will revert to instinct and take the ball into contact. That's how the Waratahs and Uni have used him for years, so if he's picked, that's what will happen. The last try by Queensland came from; Carter in possession with Folau and Volavola outside, he goes into contact, Folau goes in but is too high and not strong enough over the ball, don't know where Volavola went, Reds forwards arrived well before the Waratahs, secured possession and after a series of missed tackles the Reds scored the decisive try. (I'm not suggesting the try was Carter's fault - the whole team were responsible, it just illustrates his instinct with the ball)
The Waratahs should have scored down the other end earlier when the ball went straight through Volavola's hands and was knocked on with 5 on 2. Mucking up that try showed a lack of composure, which can be fixed.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
- Quirk was great.
- Folau is very raw. Needs to work on positioning and get a few more games under his belt, but there's been worse debuts. He and Volavola have promise.
- Timani and Palu looked strong and busy while they were on.
- Reds rhythm tapered when Frisby came on. He looks like a good player, but he doesn't seem to gel with Cooper like Genia and Lucas do.
- Carter was exposed a few times. Poor in defence and needs to pass instead of constantly dying with the ball - Barnes to IC when he's fit should complete that backline.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brumbies Guy glad I am not the only one to notice about Frisby. His decision to box kick in particular on second or first phase midfield is particularly maddening. Every time it costs field position.

Genia is really missed, in particular as the backups are not shining, Frisby in particular. Still early days yet though, Lucas was better than last week. And four weeks until Genia returns.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Frisby has played a lot less rugby than Lucas and Genia and those complaints are probably a reflection of that than any lack of ability. He did beat the first defender a few times and looks more, or at least as dangerous running compared with Lucas. If his decision making improves he could be very good, better than the other halves lost by the Reds thanks to the talent in that position.

Rufus

Bob McCowan (2)
I guess we are going to become accustomed to the Kiwi referees telling the forwards at the scrum to "Crouch, Touch, Sit." The players must have had some preliminary coaching in the Kiwi accent, because I didn't see anyone sit when instructed. Perhaps they could go back to the term "Engage".

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought Timani looked strong with ball in hand. Made some big hits as well. Didn't see him miss tackles. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) dropped a lot of pill.

Cheika claiming that Mike Harris smashed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in a late tackle. Anyone see it? He's not a happy camper. Hope AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is ok.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...am-ashley-cooper/story-fn8ouw0e-1226583880704

From how I saw a replay, it looked to me as though they ran into each other, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) coming off second best.
This is the first time I have lost some respect for Cheika - like a little boy crying because someone took his lollies. He accused Harris of a shoulder charge and reckons he should be put on report.

Status
Not open for further replies.