• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs - Roma Festival of Rugby 10 Feb

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Second half no where near as fluent as the first, but still plenty to like.

Last week I thought the Reds backrow were off their game. Big bounce back this week - McReight in particular excellent.

Last week I thought you could see the intent in the Reds attack, but execution was way too loss. This week I thought the options as to when to stay direct and when to pull the trigger was pretty spot on.

Overall pretty happy - scrum certainly needs to improve but plenty of positives out of trial two. Plenty of people putting their hands up for selection.
The breakdown work was much better with the Reds getting a lot more clean ball than what The Force allowed to occur. Some of it was through the pace which enabled some good rinse and recycle front football. The Tah's needed to do better to disrupt, I'm not sure I recall a turnover from them beside the one in the rolling maul?

I think as a Tah's supporter it was some of the shapes and transitions that was concerning. I hope some of it is heavy legs through preseason loads which haven't eased off yet. We have the individual players, but we're not humming as a unit. Our attack is often so deep and out the back and we seemed to push some kicks a little aimlessly.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The breakdown work was much better with the Reds getting a lot more clean ball than what The Force allowed to occur. Some of it was through the pace which enabled some good rinse and recycle front football. The Tah's needs to do better to disrupt, I'm not sure I recall a turnover from them beside the one in the rolling maul?
I think there was maybe one other turnover early when gamble or vailanu got over on the tahs line. There were plenty of attempts otherwise but timing was way out and they were late or blasted off the ball.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On paper Waratahs had the team to be able to breeze through to a contestable win.
This seemed to be the view before the game. Not really sure why though. I thought the Tahs would do better than they did but it is hardly like they had a much better team on paper. Plenty of the Reds players are better credentialed than their Tahs opposites and plenty calls were 50/50.

It’s only a trial - could easily turn completely around in a fortnight but I think you’re either over-rating the Tahs here or underrating the Reds.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thought gamble played well in d in the first half as well.
I thought he did a couple of good things but he and the Tahs backrow was generally rubbish. Gleeson had a couple of highlights but not much to get excited about. Given it was Gamble’s first game back so you’d think he’ll be much better in 2-3 weeks.

I don’t really remember Swinton doing anything.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think there was maybe one other turnover early when gamble or vailanu got over on the tahs line. There were plenty of attempts otherwise but timing was way out and they were late or blasted off the ball.
I recall Vailanu being unsuccessful with one (it was illegal).. but maybe there was one. Either way, we need to be better at the breakdown contest/collision. Some of it is the detail of the supporting players, entry, timing when on the attack and how our tacklers are setting up the opportunities for our onballers in defense.

Ranga-Richo

Bob McCowan (2)
This seemed to be the view before the game. Not really sure why though. I thought the Tahs would do better than they did but it is hardly like they had a much better team on paper. Plenty of the Reds players are better credentialed than their Tahs opposites and plenty calls were 50/50.

It’s only a trial - could easily turn completely around in a fortnight but the Tahs I think you’re either over-rating the Tahs here or underrating the Reds.
Bar Porecki, Jorgensen, Perese and maybe Hanigan I think that’s close to the tahs full starting squad. Don’t mean to underrate the reds, they looked strong tonight, bit I think the tahs should’ve had a stronger showing.

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bar Porecki, Jorgensen, Perese and maybe Hanigan I think that’s close to the tahs full starting squad. Don’t mean to underrate the reds, they looked strong tonight, bit I think the tahs should’ve had a stronger showing.
Pretty big difference between a stronger showing and "...breeze through to a contestable win."

Ranga-Richo

Bob McCowan (2)
Key word being contestable. Thought they’d use the bench earlier but wasn’t the case as they were always on the back foot from a strong, hungry reds team. Just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
One thing for the Tah's is that it's just a trial, we've won enough of them in the past only to loose the season game. (At least, that's what I'm going to cling to for now :))
I hope so. You expect more even for a trial

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Missed 20 minutes in the middle due to the feed, but unless GC can work some miracle in two weekas, this looks like a long season.
Apart from the scrum, nearly every other aspect was rubbish. Lineout wasn't working (particularly with Vailanu throwing), breakdown work was inaccurate and lazy, discipline was poor, defence looked dis-organised with no-one trusting the bloke beside him, attack (with the very limited ball we had) was unimaginative, wingers starved of the ball.
These players should be better.
The Reds, on the other hand, looked sharp. Backrow was excelent, young number 10 really looked good, Paisami had a huge game, they were able to retain posession for long periods, played the game in the right part of the field, lots of positives.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
NSW need to be better - no doubt, And I understand the frustration but not sure I would be giving up on the season just yet.

A couple of the forwards just seemed off the pace at moment, but there is every chance that training load has an impact on that. It’s still a pretty handy pack. Add Hanigan in & Porecki and I think you’ll get more traction. With regards to the backs I didn’t think Foketi or Nawaqanitwase played particularly well but they are obviously better players. Walton is probably not your ongoing full back ideally so getting Jorgensen back will be a big plus. I thought Piestch was good apart from his high shot.

I do agree you need more from your halves - but Gordon has normally been excellent at Super level.

No one should be playing their best footy in early Feb.

On a personal note kudos to Theo Fourie who started his footy journey at my club in Rockhampton. I thought he gave a good account of himself.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
One thing for the Tah's is that it's just a trial, we've won enough of them in the past only to loose the season game. (At least, that's what I'm going to cling to for now :))
Baes on the two trial losses the Tahs should win the first 4 games!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
NSW need to be better - no doubt, And I understand the frustration but not sure I would be giving up on the season just yet.

I would imagine that there was something of a difference between the two packs in work load management in the run to the trial. The disparity could easily be answered by this.