• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies, Lang Park, 2nd March 2018 @ 7:00pm AEST

Match result

• Brumbies win

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Reds win

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would rather watch paint dry... Déjà vu! Gee whiz that was hard to watch after the NZ clash! Mick Byrne over to you...

T

TOCC

Rubbish. The Reds managed to not score. Ref had little to do with it. And they will need to learn how to get the ball over the line.

Rejoice in a W. Should be enough for now.

Ease up mate, just because you hold a different opinion doesn’t make his comments rubbish, i actually think his comments had merit

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty hard to score when the opposition gives penalties everytime you get close.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well, that is what they do. A less patient ref would have used a card on them

What was good was the Reds response, take the kick, convert the pressure and keep at it. (Hooper will too often pick the scrum or lineout and come away with nothing)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Slipper has a history of serious back spasms. Not a good sign to be hit with them again so soon into his recovery from the ACL.

On the plus side, we wouldn't lose much by having JP Smith starting. He's been immense. Tens, trials and the first two Super games.

As someone with pretty bad degenerative disc disease in the lower back, this shit is awful and the spasms are beyond describing when they happen. Hope he recovers quickly.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I have real worries about this Dan Mckellar era of the Brumbies. If last night was anything to go by it feels like a 3rd generation watered down Jake White version. The Larkham era wasn't worthy of promoting his assistant... we needed a big overhaul with fresh ideas. Players look jaded...

4 missed lineouts killed us..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok I went into the game because I think we should be supporting live rugby, and admit I am a kiwi who supports the Canes, but regardless that game was dross!! The skill level shown by both teams was bloody terrible, why is it that neither team was even slightly able to manipulate the defence to put people into gaps? The only 2 saving graces were Reds won (I live in Qld so I support them against everyone but NZ teams) and the heart/defence Reds showed. Christ it was sure no advert for rugby, in fact after just finished watching the Blues/Chiefs game I am convinced one of the crowds were hoodwinked if the thought they were buying tickets to the same sport!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I add one of the most tasteless things I think I have seen by at rugby was whoever the idiot who thought it was great idea to put up pictures of QC (Quade Cooper), Hunt, Frisby and one other on the big screen,with saying they weren't required this year, and did it also say MIA, real classless act !

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Depth is everything in such a long and arduous campaign in Super Rugby; JP Smith's time on the field was the cruncher for me last night. Other squads must drool about having a prop of his quality and enthusiasm on the bench. And I was a back. :(

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
A few more thoughts on last night:

1. Brumbies missing the likes of Smiler and Butler
2. CFS was good for the second week in a row.
3. A brave call to replace Paia’aua so early with Daugunu. What was the logic?
4. Nabuli really needs to work on his handling.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ok I went into the game because I think we should be supporting live rugby, and admit I am a kiwi who supports the Canes, but regardless that game was dross!! The skill level shown by both teams was bloody terrible, why is it that neither team was even slightly able to manipulate the defence to put people into gaps? The only 2 saving graces were Reds won (I live in Qld so I support them against everyone but NZ teams) and the heart/defence Reds showed. Christ it was sure no advert for rugby, in fact after just finished watching the Blues/Chiefs game I am convinced one of the crowds were hoodwinked if the thought they were buying tickets to the same sport!!

Ur right... even worst than NRC games

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I predict a loss of 52-10

Reds to lead 10 nil after 3 minutes and then Nabuli gets a red card for taking a player in the air then concede 52 points, 7 converted tries then a field goal for fun at the end.

I really really hope I am wrong!

gee I was close!;)

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not the best game, very impressed with Jono's defence and also Powell for the Brumbies.

I dont think the Wallabies can match the All Blacks for scoring points so defence is very important, I wonder if this combo would work?

As for this game, very happy with the Reds scrum, I think I would have Slipper on the bench, Smith looked very good.

Shame we did not get any tries but we won, part of being a better than average team is winning ugly, just making sure you get the result. The Reds have not been able to win this way since Link.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have real worries about this Dan Mckellar era of the Brumbies. If last night was anything to go by it feels like a 3rd generation watered down Jake White version. The Larkham era wasn't worthy of promoting his assistant. we needed a big overhaul with fresh ideas. Players look jaded.

4 missed lineouts killed us..

You can add dire back play, the plan appeared to be pass it to the winger, neither centre did much, no lines run, no options provided to the ball carrier other then catch and pass

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rubbish. The Reds managed to not score. Ref had little to do with it. And they will need to learn how to get the ball over the line.

Rejoice in a W. Should be enough for now.

You seem to be a tad glass half empty at the moment, there were lots of positives

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As someone with pretty bad degenerative disc disease in the lower back, this shit is awful and the spasms are beyond describing when they happen. Hope he recovers quickly.
My old man had to have a chunk of flesh cut out from the middle of his spine in his lower back. It was so swollen that it was pressing all the nerves against the disc. Fucked him so bad he couldn't stand up.

Was caused by 10 odd years of being a removalist when he was younger. Can't imagine packing a scrum has a dissimilar effect.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know he hasn’t been playing tighthead for long but seeing 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) getting dished up by journeyman Smith didnt make me feel great about the wallabies scrum

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know he hasn’t been playing tighthead for long but seeing 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) getting dished up by journeyman Smith didnt make me feel great about the wallabies scrum

I'm not having a go at you by any means, but I think we need to look at the scrum as a whole and not a component part. Maybe, when paired with different front rowers, second rowers etc, he might be just fine. Scrum struggles are seldom the fault of a single player, although they often seem to get attributed thus. But it highlights even more than ever, the benefit of the Kiwi centralised model with scrum coaching they adopted years back. We are still seeing front rowers at provincial level being swapped this way and that from year to year, and sometimes level to level which seems counter-intuitive to me.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not having a go at you by any means, but I think we need to look at the scrum as a whole and not a component part. Maybe, when paired with different front rowers, second rowers etc, he might be just fine. Scrum struggles are seldom the fault of a single player, although they often seem to get attributed thus. But it highlights even more than ever, the benefit of the Kiwi centralised model with scrum coaching they adopted years back. We are still seeing front rowers at provincial level being swapped this way and that from year to year, and sometimes level to level which seems counter-intuitive to me.

Fair call and I generally agree however last night I saw the tighthead (the cornerstone scrum) get dominated in the second half. I was at the game so I’ll need to watch the replay to analyse it further but I’m not sure I can force myself to sit through that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom