• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs, Rnd 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure what all the doom and gloom is about to be honest. We are 2 from 3 and have a BP already. Before the season started many said there was a fair chance we'd be none from 5.
You're a sad old lot sometimes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mate, don't get me wrong, I want to see all the Oz teams doing well, and wins are the end point. Not trying to belittle the Reds' win, but I'll be surprised if the Cheetahs are near the pointy end based on that, and I think the Reds would want better, in fact I'm sure they would. But yeah, bank the BP and move ahead, that's a fair call. I had a moment when I thought the Cheetahs might snag a draw, and I reckon that would have been crazy.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For sure Cyclo. Your posts were fine and quite objective. We would certainly want to improve on that but yep take the 5 and move forward.
Third round of the season and we're trucking along ok.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For sure Cyclo. Your posts were fine and quite objective. We would certainly want to improve on that but yep take the 5 and move forward.
Third round of the season and we're trucking along ok.

Well, it beats peaking early and tailing off. Now, where did I see that sort of thing before?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Good lord, the team is 2-1 (including a BP and a win over last year's finalists) and reading this forum its like the walls are falling down...

QLD haven't played anywhere near their best yet, but they've shown an ability to actually start scoring pies again, the defence in Canberra was excellent and I think there's been genuine improvement in the centres. Scrum and consistency in defence is a worry but all in all I'm still looking forward to where this team can go this season

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
What defensive issues is everyone so concerned about? The two first half tries were a result of mistakes made by Reds players and the Cheetahs capitalized via counter attack.

Other than the odd favourable bounce that the Cheetahs got ie kicking the ball through I don't see any glaring defensive issues. I do think people are simply looking at the scoreboard and saying we leaked too many points.

14 of that was stupid reds mistakes and 7 was a dubious forward pass that capitalized some decent work by the cheetahs. Otherwise their penalties were mostly from the 45-50 metre line because that's where they mostly had the ball.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reflecting on the game whilst driving home, the game wasn't really that bad for the reds.

The tries by the reds were pretty decent efforts, and the first two tries scored by the cheetahs were pretty opportunistic and the third off what appeared to be a pretty suspect pass (particularly given the benchmark set by Quade's pass not two minutes prior to that).

Good to see Rocket back - he seems to cop some shit quite a bit - but he always scores tries and that is the wingers primary job. He always is almost through gaps as well which definitely builds pressure.

Toua, similarly was almost through some non existent gaps several times, and he will trouble some teams no end for sure. His handling was a bit off tonight, but I'm sure that'll come good.

Hanson. So hot right now. Hanson.

CFS, he really does know how to sniff a try which is ever so important in a team of playmakers.

Genia didn't seem to yell at anyone, which is a plus.

Good crowd for a Friday night, pleasant weather, lots of tries, commentary by the drunk dudes seated behind us and optional defence.

(6:40 on a Friday is too early for a rugby game - friggen difficult to get there on time and noticed the crowd filling up a lot more after 7.)

It was probably a pretty disappointing game for the Cheetahs.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Time to put the rum down biggsy.

Was really impressed with CFS. He reminds of JOC (James O'Connor) in that he is very strong near the line and has the instinct. Simmons was very good too. I'm not a big fan of his but he grew a third leg in the second half and was dominant in contact.

I don't have a problem with Quade throwing those long balls and the flat ones too. It's good positive rugby and if he makes a few mistakes doing it I can live with it.

The only real negatives for me were too many quick taps and Daley and Holmes offer nothing compared to Slipper around the park. But they were hard done by in the scrums. The Cheetahs seemed to be driving up every scrum but some how the Reds were getting penalised.

I guess we watched different games tonight LIVE and on the Replay that just finished...
CFS finished well, very much like izzy. But there is 14 other blokes on the field that need to step up,Which most are wallaby players or soon to be ex wallaby players Compared to Ponies, Tahs 9/10 combos and tah,Ponies and and rebs forwards...
And to add, its not that hard to hold on to a fucken pill...

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sheesh, just watched a replay of the charge down of Will Genia's box kick - pretty odd choice , but he is looking straight at Cheetahs 11 who is standing next to the reds fullback, so I wonder if he was pushing for a penalty for offside that didn't come?

Hard to fathom what else he thought would happen other than a charge down.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
What defensive issues is everyone so concerned about?

Reds played the cheetahs tonight, not like playing the tahs at home (or there form at the moment) It SHOULD not have been as close as it was tonight with that team sheet....

And now the reds have the Shorks at home and the lions at home who we all know can win..

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The Good: Rob Simmons, Rod Davies, Chris Feaiua-Sautia, James Hanson

The Hit and Miss: Quade Cooper, Aiden Toua

The Bad: Will Genia (wallaby 9 is anyone's for the taking ATM)

Needs Improvement: Dom Shipperely, Jake Shatz

Leave Them Off the Field: Saia Fainga'a, Nick Frisby

Should Start Next Week: James Slipper at Tighthead.

The Stupid: 6:40pm start on a Friday, bloody outrageous.

Hard To Read: This thread! For fucksake, such a negative lot sometimes!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sheesh, just watched a replay of the charge down of Will Genia's box kick - pretty odd choice , but he is looking straight at Cheetahs 11 who is standing next to the reds fullback, so I wonder if he was pushing for a penalty for offside that didn't come?

Hard to fathom what else he thought would happen other than a charge down.

Turn over ball, on the front foot, and then the kick - where he stepped away from the back of the ruck to where there was no protection: woeful execution.

He just needs to put away the box kick on counters, it rarely works well for him now. More of a low percentage play than a percentage play.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
What defensive issues is everyone so concerned about? The two first half tries were a result of mistakes made by Reds players and the Cheetahs capitalized via counter attack.

Other than the odd favourable bounce that the Cheetahs got ie kicking the ball through I don't see any glaring defensive issues. I do think people are simply looking at the scoreboard and saying we leaked too many points.

14 of that was stupid reds mistakes and 7 was a dubious forward pass that capitalized some decent work by the cheetahs. Otherwise their penalties were mostly from the 45-50 metre line because that's where they mostly had the ball.

Defense was very poor for long stretches. Slow to realign, tacklers falling off like flies, not only slow to realign but when they did realign gaps were still being left and we were literally gifting front foot ball to the Cheetahs (a team seemingly bereft of ideas outside of "give it to Willie and watch him kick it away").

A better team would have absolutely eviscerated us under those circumstances. The Sharks will put a fucking cricket score on us if we defend like that against them in Durban.

Our defense made their attack look better than it is, and better than it has all season so far. In our own "fortress" of all places.

That to me, is the hallmark of a poor defensive performance.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I dont think it was a great performance, but if you guys where asked if you had beat the Brumbies in Canberra, Lost to the Tahs in Sydney and won with a Bonus point against the Cheetahs at home. I bet you all would have taken it... Im dirty the Brumbies didn't put you away which I think we should have but... that's another story.

Take the win as 5 points and hope RG has a plan to sort out the realignment from attack to defence ...

T

tranquility

I'll tell you what I do like. Gill (the messiah) ball-playing as a decoy. Still a work in progress of course, but he has the skills to be a very good link-man, so we may as well use them. He also has excellent technique as a ball-carrier which means he can keep the defense guessing and go for a ping.
Make him bloody captain already.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Gill's ball handling was much, much better than it was against the Tahs. Some of the balls from first receiver off the line out to Quade were great, flat and in front.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Take the win as 5 points and hope RG has a plan to sort out the realignment from attack to defence .

They look like he spent the off season un-coaching them.
Have yet to watch the whole game but at the moment they're reliance on QC (Quade Cooper)'s long ball (in 2 forms) seems to be the extent of their plan.
Marto :eek: seemed to suggest that there is no plan from set piece: QC (Quade Cooper) makes up his mind when he gets the ball. It sounds like a great idea and maybe I'm old fashioned and too conservative, but it also sounds like a recipe for disaster once the other teams work it out.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
They look like he spent the off season un-coaching them.
Have yet to watch the whole game but at the moment they're reliance on QC (Quade Cooper)'s long ball (in 2 forms) seems to be the extent of their plan.
Marto :eek: seemed to suggest that there is no plan from set piece: QC (Quade Cooper) makes up his mind when he gets the ball. It sounds like a great idea and maybe I'm old fashioned and too conservative, but it also sounds like a recipe for disaster once the other teams work it out.

Tend to agree, but they did go off Gill to OC for a try.. Ive never rated RG as a coach there's no Link or Chekia learning curve... the force weren't it.. its pretty much how I rate him the same as Larkham at the moment.. difference i see is Larkham was one of the best players in the world , had one of the best coaches as a mentor in the world... and has Fisher as directpr as a good coach who has got the experience from a great coach (white)

This leaves me with, Larkham and Fisher are a better bet then RG.. Totally my thoughts... and you did beat us in the first round..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the Reds were just far too loose last night. Too many mediocre uncontested kicks as well, shit it looked like the Tahs of three years ago at times.

As far as I care if a kick is for field position it is either kicked out and/or part of a decent chase. With Davies and Shipperley on the edges they had the pace to put on pressure but didn't

That may have been as the result of the early points but they will need to tighten up structures real quick. It is great to get fast ball, but you need units reacting and getting into position faster to leverage that fast ball, Copper needs options, units running angles and at gaps; and the pigs getting up and getting there and cleaning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.