• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Force Round 2 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
We still used to get around 15.5k in 2007 at our worst. Probably in line for that or less for rest of this year.

Even though my seat meant to be behind the sticks, no trouble sitting on 40m line tonight where I also spent most of last season as no stadium members turn up to watch such rubbish.

Absolutely zero atmosphere there tonight and zero attempt to create a positive one from Reds management. No "We Are Red" man, no kettle drums, no cheergirls, no nothing. May as well have been a funeral for Qld Rugby.

Clean them out and start again! The Reds are in the entertainment business and we are not entertained!
I think we will draw a decent crowd against the NZ teams, they will buy the memberships and love watching the Reds get smashed

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think we will draw a decent crowd against the NZ teams, they will buy the memberships and love watching the Reds get smashed
Maybe but no Crusaders visit this year. I expect the Tahs crowd to be down a lot too if we're still winless then.

People will just stay at the beach on their Easter Holidays or make new plans to be at the beach on Easter holidays....

Felt sorry for all the Japanese fans potentially experiencing their first match at Suncorp last night. Hopefully they were already in town studying or working and nobody flew over specifically for it. Next to no atmosphere last night.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wasn't disappointed at all. I have said it before, it doesn't matter if the Force play running rugby. It doesn't help our fan base, winning does.

That's why I'm so critical of Foley deciding to completely change tactic after 4 seasons. We don't have the cattle to play like the Reds of 2011. But we do have the most complete loose backrow stocks in the Aus conference. Alcock, Hodgson, McCalman, Cottrel, Stander. All Super rugby quality. We need to do what we did in 2014. Arm wrestle teams out of the game and take our chances at goal. I'd love to see some sweeping backline moves as well, but more than happy to grind. The not negotiable part needs to be skills execution. Protect the ball into contact, don't throw miracle balls and work hard off the ball. That'd do me fine.

I do not agree with this analysis, or much of what has been said previously. I know the game looked slow in comparison to the Hurricanes-Highlanders game that preceded it, but that game was of exceptional quality. This game was not the worst I've ever seen and the Force do not need to go back to their roots and play for penalties.

The Force have got a 10 who can lead them around. Of that there is no doubt. Their back three would be very good if only Brache was on the bench. Their first choice centres have talent but need to learn to work together. With Godwin out Rasolea should be playing 13; that's his best position even if he is not too good at it and Taps can play 12 where he is at his best. But they have a backline with real potential providing they work on it. And one reason why the Reds backline looked clueless was that the Force tackled well all night. Defensively they are up to it against most of their opposition this year.

Their one major area of weakness is the scrum, the rest of the pigs are good to excellent. Rewatching round one I upgraded my opinion of Coleman's game; he could be Wallaby class if he keeps improving.

They won't beat the Brumbies next week but they won't be disgraced like the Hurricanes were. As a work in progress I liked what I saw and I thought they had the Reds measure from the start. I reckon they'll surprise a few and end up mid table.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hawko, I have no doubt whatsoever that the decision to recruit Lance, install him at 10 and play a more expansive game is the right one. Lord knows that doing the same thing and having no success year after year isn't the answer, so I was happy to see a change in game plan, even if it hasn't totally clicked yet. The guys we have in the backline now have, as you say, the potential to be pretty useful. The problem is that in previous seasons we've never seen any of it because we've been kicking the air out of the ball.

I also think Coleman is nearing readiness for the step up to the next level. His work over the first two rounds has been excellent.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hope Coleman gets that opportunity. The player drain will really, really impact on all franchises in 2017 and Coleman is someone I feel we need to hold on to longer term. In the medium term the NRC should soften the blow of the NH player drain but in the short term we are struggling and it will get worse before it gets better.

I hope franchises are looking very closely at competitions in Japan, France and the UK to try to bring back more guys like Dean Mumm, etc.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What a dire, error-ridden, uninspired game of rugby. I should have been content with initially catching the last 5 minutes of the game on Saturday.

But I just had to torture myself with a full viewing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What a dire, error-ridden, uninspired game of rugby. I should have been content with initially catching the last 5 minutes of the game on Saturday.

But I just had to torture myself with a full viewing.

Yeah, I started to watch this game, but became so frustrated that Despicable Me 2 became the better option

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I also think Coleman shows a lot of promise and will contest for a Wallabies' spot towards the end of the year. But, except for a couple of poor ball handling episodes, Neville was the pick of the locks in this game.

I'm just looking forward to the likes of Coleman and Arnold replacing a couple of incumbent locks in Simmons and Mumm later on. Also, on his current form, Skelton must be in danger of being replaced too. May their good form continue to improve.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
One of the worst efforts the Reds have put up in the last few years. I don't think there would be too many of the players who would be proud of their performance.

Dominant scrum (as expected) but dismal efforts by the backs - absolutely no penetration at all. Would love to see Kerevi get back 20 metres and crash ball the defence.

Frisby used to be a "sniper" but now doesn't seem to have a crack. Would have to think it has been coached out of him. We really do need a quality 10.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I also think Coleman shows a lot of promise and will contest for a Wallabies' spot towards the end of the year. But, except for a couple of poor ball handling episodes, Neville was the pick of the locks in this game.

I'm just looking forward to the likes of Coleman and Arnold replacing a couple of incumbent locks in Simmons and Mumm later on. Also, on his current form, Skelton must be in danger of being replaced too. May their good form continue to improve.

Arnold does look a very good prospect also I agree. Skelton needs to improve his set piece play if he wants to be a long term starting test player. He's good around the paddock now, but I don't like the fact that we have to cover for deficiencies in other areas.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Arnold does look a very good prospect also I agree. Skelton needs to improve his set piece play if he wants to be a long term starting test player. He's good around the paddock now, but I don't like the fact that we have to cover for deficiencies in other areas.

Skelton's set-piece play has improved, he regularly takes a lineout or two at the front. Unfortunately it appears that the rest of his game has been diminished. When was the last time you can remember that he threw a delightful off-load or made a major linebreak? Certainly not 2016. So he is now more closely marked. So what? If his game is on the improve he should be making line busts anyway. That part of his game has gone backwards.

Its early days yet, finals are a long way off, but he has got to get out of his form slump quickly.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Skelton's set-piece play has improved, he regularly takes a lineout or two at the front. Unfortunately it appears that the rest of his game has been diminished. When was the last time you can remember that he threw a delightful off-load or made a major linebreak? Certainly not 2016. So he is now more closely marked. So what? If his game is on the improve he should be making line busts anyway. That part of his game has gone backwards.

Its early days yet, finals are a long way off, but he has got to get out of his form slump quickly.

I'm OK with that, because if he's being closely marked it creates opportunities for other players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Simmo needs to improve markedly otherwise the dogs will start barking. Plenty of competition for a total of 3 lock spots (including the bench)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Simmo needs to improve markedly otherwise the dogs will start barking. Plenty of competition for a total of 3 lock spots (including the bench)
Have the dogs ever stopped barking for Simmo?

Probably still the best scrum/lineout lock in the country but there will always be temptation to find someone who offers more around the park

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I was wondering who Scrubbers next 'focus player' might be. Look out Rob!

Fuck off Scoey

A bloke is merely voicing an opinion - I have heartedly always supported Simmo . I just think he is not playing at his best ATM .

I shall certainly remember every player you mention in the future and bring it to your attention whether it be considered man-hate or man-love.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm OK with that, because if he's being closely marked it creates opportunities for other players.

So far this year, Skelton doesn't seem to have made any positive impact for the Tahs. No or very few off-loads when taking two or more defenders out of the game, and really no-one else bar Hooper in the forward pack able to take advantage of any such deficiencies in the defensive line. And Hooper can't be everywhere all of the time (though he tries). Add to that his lack of discipline in the first two games, and I'd say on balance he's been a liability so far in 2016.

Needs to do more than just be heavily marked.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Simmons has always improved when there is talk of dropping him. I think it says something about his motivation, if he is being attacked he wants to prove a point

Very hard to play decent rugby in a team as dispirited and directionless as the Reds have been.

New coaches usually bring a spring to the step of the players who want to impress the new broom.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think Carter's started the season well, but being in a dominate team usually helps you look better.. But his been hard at everything his done so fair..

Status
Not open for further replies.