• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Hurricanes RD3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I can't believe people are evening questioning Walsh's push on Conrad. What if it was the other way around? No one would think twice.

I think it's because we often see players run into the referee, but we rarely see refs run into players. We don't think twice about it the other way round because it happens a fair bit.

Just a strange incident, I guess Walsh will get a few jibes from the other refs about it, Conrad probably will too from the other Canes.

M

Muttonbird

I can't believe people are evening questioning Walsh's push on Conrad. What if it was the other way around? No one would think twice.

I don't think that is just "the other way around". For starters the Owens incident was in play, the Walsh one was not. Walsh was in such a huff about the back-chat that he lashed out. A ref in control with their wits about them would not have acted that way, imo.

M

Muttonbird

Mutton, I got impression Walsh had turned around to run back the 10,just as Smith got there, if he raised forearm ,it probably just a defensive reaction. I didn't read anything in it at all.
A little too desperate to run the 10 if you ask me. Smith would have been voicing his concerns before Walsh had turned and I'm fairly sure Walsh would have known who it was and how close he was. Or at least he should have, as a highly paid official.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No, he wouldn't've, Mb. Refs instinctively want to punish teams immediately for backchat and do the extra 10m as soon as they can, I seriously doubt if Walsh knew who was on his blindside.

You're shit-stirring here, nothing in it. Walsh apologised for an unforeseen contact, that's it, nothing more to add.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
A little too desperate to run the 10 if you ask me. Smith would have been voicing his concerns before Walsh had turned and I'm fairly sure Walsh would have known who it was and how close he was. Or at least he should have, as a highly paid official.

Muttonbird, you are getting far too close to the line - none of us can know what the referee thought at the time. We are not into referee bashing for the sake of it. Be constructive or you will have a rest.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The game as a spectacle was marred by an over pedantic Steve Walsh being far too whistle happy. He should remember that the game is for the players to highlight their skills, not the referee.
But other than for that, SW was fair in his reffing.
Some of the calls came from the assistant referees.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The game as a spectacle was marred by an over pedantic Steve Walsh being far too whistle happy. He should remember that the game is for the players to highlight their skills, not the referee.
But other than for that, SW was fair in his reffing.
Some of the calls came from the assistant referees.

The average number of penalties per match in Super Rugby this year has been 22. In this match there were 24 - this match wasn't really out of the ordinary. The teams have been told how the laws will be interpreted this season and the penalties issued by Steve Walsh were in accordance with those interpretations (Lyndon Bray says that the referees assessors gave Walsh a 93% accuracy rating - that is 22 of 24 penalties correct).

To reduce the penalties it is the players who need to change - if the referees simply don't give penalties when the indiscretions are committed, then there will be no change. Once players change their actions the speed at the breakdown will improve, producing a faster game.

5 of the 6 matches last weekend were won by the team conceding the fewest penalties. The teams that adapt fastest to the stricter interpretations around the ruck and start to concede less penalties will see the benefits.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Reds do not, and never will play like the Tahs traditionally do. Apples and Oranges.

Traditionally? :D Dunno, I remember some pretty dire (but effective) rugby played by the Reds historically (when Paul Maclean was running the show, also when Flatley was running the show).

Traditionally? :D It would be like saying the Tahs play free flowing rugby because Mark Ella once was at 10.

My point being that the Reds are playing the prudent Link way (and I reckon there isn't much difference to what Link was doing at the Tahs), clearly, they have a 10 at the moment can open it up (the key difference), but at other times they truck it up, kick to the corners and try to smother teams and could be wearing sky blue.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Reds were playing tight because they thought the canes would be undisciplined, it worked, just.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

T

tranquility

I understand your point, but please don't paint our side with the same brush as your blue one.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Take the admission that the playing roster in NSW did not have the ability to implement a game plan that was good enough to win the comp as a compliment. But the point is only partly true, Link has admitted to working with the strengths of the squad hence the forward dominant game in NSW and acknowledged the backs in QLD as being superior. He has also said things about the playing groups that may suggest why he had more success at the Reds.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The perception that Walsh blew his whistle alot came for two reasons:
1. He blew a lot of penalties in the first 10 minutes, and for this both teams were fairly culpable
2. The game was so stop-start

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Steve Walsh and Adam Ashley-Cooper just hopped on the wrong flights. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) ended up refereeing in Brisbane and forgot what he was doing and put the hit on Conrad Smith.

Meanwhile Steve Walsh played 13 for the Tahs, got smashed a few times and was walking around in a daze late in the game with no reserves left on the bench to put him out of his misery.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The average number of penalties per match in Super Rugby this year has been 22. In this match there were 24 - this match wasn't really out of the ordinary. The teams have been told how the laws will be interpreted this season and the penalties issued by Steve Walsh were in accordance with those interpretations (Lyndon Bray says that the referees assessors gave Walsh a 93% accuracy rating - that is 22 of 24 penalties correct).

To reduce the penalties it is the players who need to change - if the referees simply don't give penalties when the indiscretions are committed, then there will be no change. Once players change their actions the speed at the breakdown will improve, producing a faster game.

5 of the 6 matches last weekend were won by the team conceding the fewest penalties. The teams that adapt fastest to the stricter interpretations around the ruck and start to concede less penalties will see the benefits.

According to Bray 1 of the 2 he got wrong just happened to be that one the Canes players were upset about that got them marched 10 :)

M

Muttonbird

Muttonbird, you are getting far too close to the line - none of us can know what the referee thought at the time. We are not into referee bashing for the sake of it. Be constructive or you will have a rest.
Really Scott? I don't mean to be combative here but that was a very tame and legit criticism of SW there. I wonder if my reputation is damaging me. I seem to be able to post next to nothing even remotely argumentative. There has been much worse posted on this very forum about Saint Richie McCaw with nary a word said.

You are aware that Steve Walsh forearmed a team captain who was asking a legitimate on field question, aren't you??? I mean, we've heard for years how Wallaby captains are too meek in their dealings with the ref, right?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Really Scott? I don't mean to be combative here but that was a very tame and legit criticism of SW there. I wonder if my reputation is damaging me. I seem to be able to post next to nothing even remotely argumentative. There has been much worse posted on this very forum about Saint Richie McCaw with nary a word said.

You are aware that Steve Walsh forearmed a team captain who was asking a legitimate on field question, aren't you??? I mean, we've heard for years how Wallaby captains are too meek in their dealings with the ref, right?
Yes Really. And he's not on his own. Tone down the ref bashing.

M

Muttonbird

Yes Really. And he's not on his own. Tone down the ref bashing.
Ok, sweet. Never seen a ref touch a player like that before is all. I'm fairly sure you haven't neither.

How about we all tone down the McCaw bashing while we are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.