• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks Rnd 4 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Look at the poor ball security yielding turnovers in bad places (for us) and backline dropsies, this flaw has been there every single 2012 game and was significant contributor to the tries scored against last night.
This.

The ball looks barely controlled when Reds players go to ground. All over the shop, and it's not surprising when it gets turned over.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Got to say the Sharks grew an extra leg in that period just before halftime and we couldn't step up. From the way they started I thought we would have the BP by halftime. Good on them for turning it around.

Results about right considering we lost both playmakers and kickers early.

Bulls game will be a struggle, diggers will be out - Suprised he didn't get a red card straight up, stupid tackle and he should have been off. Doubt Lucas will be back, hammy would be my guess. Be suprised if Harris is there either.

Sent using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I've just gotten home from a fabulous Bon Iver concert at the Tivoli, so the adrenalin's up and I'm up for the 1:05am start.

Love the pivoting uncertainty of top rugby games; we've had a week of good argument as to who'll win and why, now the moment of truth is here and no is sure of anything much....

Brilliant, weren't they (Bon iver that is). I went on Thursday night, and wish I could have gone Friday and Saturday as well. One of the best I have seen - amazing how they could reproduce that unique sound live - not just reproduce it, but better it.

C

Cave Dweller

I think Jetlag got hold of them. When did they fly over as they were looking a bit weary there in the end

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Exact same intent as displayed in this one for which Strauss got 2 weeks:

On the issue of digby tackle. I'm not going to argue that it was not a penalty offence, it defiantly was - but I find it highly hypocritical when you have the saffa commentators going on about how it should be a red card considering last season we saw many instances of south african players attacking the head/neck area in rucks which is just as dangerous as a spear tackle yet never talked about.

@Bowside - listen to the comments from the exact same commentators here. Not sure how you can take issue with their comments after the Digby tackle then considering they said pretty much the same thing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Problem I see is he continued through with the leg drive, driving the player into the ground, albeit obliquely.
Intent? Well, he meant to tackle him hard, I guess, but who can say if he intended to "spear" him? I doubt anyone really means to.
The fact he didn't seem to pull out at all might count against him, the fact the player hit the ground relatively innocuously is, in some ways, not really relevant. Once you know you've lifted, and really, players ought to know better now, the only mitigating thing you can do is try to bring them down as safely as possible.
I suspect qwerty might be close with a 2 week, maybe 1 for good behaviour! ;)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the issue of digby tackle. I'm not going to argue that it was not a penalty offence, it defiantly was - but I find it highly hypocritical when you have the saffa commentators going on about how it should be a red card considering last season we saw many instances of south african players attacking the head/neck area in rucks which is just as dangerous as a spear tackle yet never talked about.

It was a yellow because digby didn't really take him beyond the horizontal and he didn't drop him or drive him into the ground.

Not hypocritical, more just a case of fanaticism...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Exact same intent as displayed in this one for which Strauss got 2 weeks:
I agree. Both player were trying to complete good hard tackles and got it wrong. Though in your example he seems to be tipped further and dropped a bit. I have no idea if that makes a difference at the Tribunal.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, the player's hips were above his shoulders (i.e above horizontal) and he most certainly did drive him to the ground. The fact that he did not land on his neck / head isn't the point.
If the judiciary is going to be consistent, and we should not assume they will be, 2 weeks seems the going rate.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I agree. Both player were trying to complete good hard tackles and got it wrong. Though in your example he seems to be tipped further and dropped a bit. I have no idea if that makes a difference at the Tribunal.
Yeah I have no idea either and perhaps there needs to be more clarity in that. Although I would like to echo Cyclopath's comment - "the fact the player hit the ground relatively innocuously is, in some ways, not really relevant."

My feelings are the same - if you lift the player above the horizontal and do not attempt to bring him down safely, you should cop the same punishment regardless of how the tackled player lands. Basically that is luck of the draw in that each tackled player might twist or turn in different ways. The tackler should be penalised for those movements for which he has control over ie. Does he lift the player above horizontal? If so, has he attempted to ease the player's landing?

Obviously those which show a tackler purposefully driving (or spearing) an opponents head into the ground may be treated differently.

L

Linebacker_41

Don't think that not having Alec there makes a bit of difference - Whilst Alec was a fantastic Scrum Doctor the operative word is 'was" Time catches up with all of us and am sure the forwards relate more to Mckenzie in respect of scrum technique etc than Alec.

You are probably right in that Alec's time was up. But is anyone else doing the scrums this year?

I hate seeing teams with lots of coaches like Clive Woodward used to run, but I think that there needs to be someone doing it separate of Link just from a workload capacity.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
In this instance digby should have put him down, and if they are being consistent with the judiciary then he should get 2 weeks.

But we have to realise this is how kids are taught to tackle - Hit with the shoulder grab the legs and drive. The vast majority of the time it does not end in a spear tackle because:
A) The playing with the ball is running lower.
B) The tackler is not at explosively strong as digby is.

I dont know if that really changes anything - but I would argue that very rarely is there intent to seriously injure the opposing player with spear tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.