• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks Rnd 4 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linebacker_41

I hate this tip tackle ruling by the IRB. How soft are we making this game these days.

The only thing Diggers did wrong there was not keep his right elbow close to his body.

Now to keep your elbow close to your body is next to impossible. The guy didnt land on his head (although a nomination for an Oscar might be on its way) and he wasnt driven to the ground.

The guy barely made it past the horizontal.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Only just watched a replay of the game. Turning point of the game: the decision to take the penalty shot at the 30 minute mark - moving the score from 14-0 to 17-0.

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight - but the flow of the game was with the Reds. Had the Reds taken the kick for touch and kept the Sharks tackling inside their 22, then it would have been very unlikely to see the flow of points to the Sharks before and after half time. A score of 14-0 at half time (possibly 19-0 or 21-0) would have been great for the Reds.

That penalty shot gave the Sharks a breather, allowed them into the Reds half for the first time in about 20 minutes - and with the help of Reds errors, the Sharks score before half time giving them a big lift.

Too often we see poor pointless kicks in general play. And too often we see teams opt for the 'sensible' penalty shot, when really they would be better to keep attacking and keep the other side under defensive and territory pressure - just as the Sharks did early in the 2nd half and that yielded them a try.

Otherwise the Reds put in a gutsy performance

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hate this tip tackle ruling by the IRB. How soft are we making this game these days.

The only thing Diggers did wrong there was not keep his right elbow close to his body.

Now to keep your elbow close to your body is next to impossible. The guy didnt land on his head (although a nomination for an Oscar might be on its way) and he wasnt driven to the ground.

The guy barely made it past the horizontal.

Yeah...

And what's the go with high shots?

And knees?

And eye gouging?

The game has gone soft!

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
The crazy thing about Digby's tackle is the the ball was knocked-on at the point of impact - advantage Reds. So there was no need to go through with the tackle - though Digby wasn't to know that.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Diggers tackle was a cracker, but no chance with with a SA ref and not sure where the touchy is from. And it was also milked for more than it was. But that's the rules.
It's funny the sharks player on gets a penalty for a purpose shoulder in the back when cleaning out. Only A Weak prick will do that and it can cause the same amount of damage to a player as a spear tackle which diggers was clearly not.

Because LINK is so amazing and the sun shine out of his ass ;) he would have not got much sleep working on the case for SANZA. And will mention the build up before the tackle with a poor flick on pass with man catching the ball off the ground. And with diggers being a 5 1/2 ft mass of muscle already committed in doing his jod and that was defending his line. Then from there the player got pumped in the tackle lost the ball due to a shit pass which caused him to be unstable before the legal tackle. Than this perect tackle cuased a knock on, Reds scrum. Now if the ref and touchies where watching the same game I was we all wouldn't be here and I wouldn't be losing valuable twitter time.

C

Cave Dweller

Does not matter how he is tackled or what technique was used. In the end of the day they will sit and look and ask themselves the question if it was dangerous play or not. If it was 2 weeks minimum and up depending on the seriousness of the offence and the danger level

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
2 weeks imo, intent and driven into the ground
No, can't agree with any further suspension. On watching the replay a number of times, you can see there was lateral direction in the downward part of the tackle, not a 'spear' which is more verticle.
Even one of the SA commentators said after watching the replay, that it should have been a yellow for a dangerous tackle

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Doesn't look as bad as the example given so would say 1 week. But given Ranger got 2 weeks for his hit on Basson we must be thinking 2 is the minimum. Both over the top IMHO.

L

Linebacker_41

Yeah...
And what's the go with high shots?
And knees?
And eye gouging?

Probably not for this forum - but here goes anyway

Slim, I am comfortable with some of those being rubbed out of our game (gouging, knees and high shots)

Bring back rucking - and by that I mean a backward motion of the boot to a ball if a body is in the vicinity it is their own fault (but not around the head) - only the shower and disinfectant after the game hurts.

Tackles like this need to be a driving tackle for suspension - I can live with a yellow card in game for this tackle if anything to take emotions out of the game and if it is a driving tackle then a red card.

W

What2040

watched game on Sunday morning and re-watched this morning - IMO

Scrums went very well with Holmes at LHP - Slipper had huge game in scrummaging , defence and attack Holmes should hold that spot for the Bulls match.
Genia had a couple of good snipes but dropped away
Lucas made a difference when on the field
WE NEED ANOTHER KICKER

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Losing 2 playmakers is pretty damn unlucky, particularly when they're your only 2 goal kickers...

I'm just glad the Brumbies have 4 (or 5? Prior?) guys in the match day 22 that can line up if needed...

Yeah we're lucky in that department; White, Lealiifano, To'omua, Holmes, Mogg and Prior are all handy with the boot. Coleman and Fainga'a both kicked for goal for Austarlian Schoolboys too.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Probably not for this forum - but here goes anyway

Slim, I am comfortable with some of those being rubbed out of our game (gouging, knees and high shots)

Bring back rucking - and by that I mean a backward motion of the boot to a ball if a body is in the vicinity it is their own fault (but not around the head) - only the shower and disinfectant after the game hurts.

Tackles like this need to be a driving tackle for suspension - I can live with a yellow card in game for this tackle if anything to take emotions out of the game and if it is a driving tackle then a red card.
This.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Kudos to the shorks for the win, which I finally watched tonight.

Re the reds:

I saw a close loss away from home in atrocious conditions when they lost the starting and alternate 10, subsequently lost their attacking and defensive structure and had Genia miss consecutive penalties from easily kickable positions that probably would have won the match.

You know, I might not yet slit my wrists about the reds or about australian rugby. The Shorks got on a roll, but the bounce of the ball and the twist of the knees favoured them overall. On another day the reds would have wandered over the line. And they were due having that go against them.

+s
The Reds front row is really going well now Holmes is starting. Genia is finding gaps. Building momentum with quick ball. Taps looks the goods. Shipperley has promise. Ioane is finding form and should be well rested for the test series thanks to his tackling.

-s
Simmons looks like a shadow of the boy/man he was last year, which is not good enough.
Game management from whoever is a playmaker this second is ordinary
Davies is so nervous he makes me nervous, and Morahan needs to piss off and decide if he wants to play rugby or run around on a touch field somewhere.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sometimes they give out the pack weights in a caption on TV when the game is played in the RSA and NZ. In Rd. 1 the Cheetahs were mentioned as being 886 kgs, which is near enough to average; in Rd. 2 it had dropped to 865 which is one of the lightest - not that weight itself is the most important thing when you compare it with individual technique and pack coordination.
Stormers have the biggest SA pack (weight and height) at the moment
1. Kitshoff - 114
2. Liebenberg - 110
3. Harris - 119
4. Etzebeth - 120
5. Bekker - 120
6. Burger - 111
7. Vermeulen - 116
8. Koster - 110

= 920Kg

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
"Blinkers On"

There's nothing in that tackle, it's just a good tackle. He doesn't even land on his head, neck or shoulder? Flat on his back like a backward bellyflop!

It's not like he's Bakkies, Schalk or Ali Williams! ...4 5 snakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.