• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refs' Room 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Add your comments and ratings of the Super14 refs in 2009. Especially now that there's non-neutral refs.

I thought Leckie was a bit random, as the young people say.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Call of the week - Craig Joubert referring to Cobus Grobelaar by his nickname of "Baywatch"!

I thought Bryce Lawrence was inconsistent as usual. At one point he pinged the Force's Horua for not releasing when two Blues players landed on top of him and didn't even attempt to roll away. Then he rightly had a chat to Horua and Sharpe about Horua's subsequent outburst. Wouldna happened if you could ref, Bryce.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
NTA said:
I thought Bryce Lawrence was inconsistent as usual. At one point he pinged the Force's Horua for not releasing when two Blues players landed on top of him and didn't even attempt to roll away. Then he rightly had a chat to Horua and Sharpe about Horua's subsequent outburst. Wouldna happened if you could ref, Bryce.

it was painful to watch. lawrence had a bad 10-15 of calls in the middle of the first half.
naturally the force started the back chat. this did NOT help out cause.

still.... terrible umpiring. youd think the touchies (or is it... assistant refs?) would of helped a bit.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Here's an interesting one - about 44th minute mark in Lions v Cheetahs, the Cheetahs have a scrum inside the Lions' 22. The Lions put a big shove on and Joubert penalises the loosehead in red for driving upwards. On replay the Cheetahs' THP is shown to have his arse driven up by his own flanker which is what depowers that whole side of their scrum - if his feet aren't on the deck, he can't add anything! At that point any loosehead worth his steak would smash the bloke. Hate to see the dominant scrum penalised.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I saw that. Strange call. By strange I mean wrong.

Thought the reffing was not great this weekend. I suppose it is the first round for the refs as well so they are obviously a bit dusty. The common denominator for the round was players off their feet at the breakdown. Lawrence was worst in this regard, he seemed completely blind to the antics of both sides.

Saying that, no ref had an absolute clanger and each winning team deserved their victory, each losing side deserved the bitter taste of defeat.

R

rugbywhisperer

Refer to my other comments in previous threads - the refs do not have a clue 90% of the time at the scrum. Ant that is from a referee coach

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Problem is there aren't enough former props coming through the reffing ranks e.g. Gus Erickson.

In part, this is because most props are just too damn successful at everything else they do to take a ref's pay 8) And more likely to ask for resets, even after the ball is out 8)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I found one puzzling one was from Jonker. Kirchner jumps, back first, into Cooper who is trying to take a bomb. Kirchner is not watching the ball at all. Cooper completely misses the ball thanks to being taken out. The ball bounces towards the Bull's tryline, and a Reds player picks it up. Jonker calls Cooper knocked on, then gives a penalty against the Reds for offside.

Bryce Lawrence is loaded full of bizarre calls. I didn't like the way he reffed out attacking players on their feet in that game.

R

rugbywhisperer

I was talking to two props earlier in the week, one a S14 regular and the other a young up and comer. The more experience one told me that in a scrum against a not so strong or experienced prop all he has to do is shipft his head angle slightly and the other prop gets all twisted and themn penalised - nothing illegal done just great technique - the ref's don't and never will have a clue as to front row goings on and that is one reason I support fully a return to the old laws of 20 years ago - otherwise it's just a guessing game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
rugbywhisperer said:
the ref's don't and never will have a clue as to front row goings on and that is one reason I support fully a return to the old laws of 20 years ago - otherwise it's just a guessing game.
mind if i ask who the props were?

also what were the rules? (i am a youngin).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They'll be QLD props of some variety given the whisperer is up near Brisvegas I'm guessing :)

In any case, the rules 20 years ago were very simple: the scrums looked after the engagement, not the fucking ref! :)

R

rugbywhisperer

en_force_er said:
rugbywhisperer said:
the ref's don't and never will have a clue as to front row goings on and that is one reason I support fully a return to the old laws of 20 years ago - otherwise it's just a guessing game.
mind if i ask who the props were?
also what were the rules? (i am a youngin).

Ask all you want but that info is confidential -
the 'laws' back in the day were simple - I cannot recall ANY law regarding engagement, binding, dropping, twisting, pulling, pushing or anything to do with the front row. There wasn't even an engagement sequence protocol. Scrums were set and 9 times out of ten the ball was fed in and the ball came out - resetting a scrum was a total rarity. The only time it got reset was if it came out the tunnell.
Granted there was a huge degree of pulling down or pushing up your opponent, or breaking him but the scrum wa a thing of beauty not the half baked dog's breakfast it is now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And there were a hell of a lot less collapses. Props were more about rat cunning and mental fortitude rather than bench press statistics or beep tests. *sigh*

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
In every instance where there wasn't a neutral referee this weekend (Clan/Brumbies, Force/Blues, Canes/Tahs & Bulls/Reds) the ref's countrymen won. Not a good look. I can sympathise with SANZAR for trying to cut down costs (would it cost about $2k to send a Saffer ref to NZ or a Kiwi to SAf?) but the integrity of results and the competition is paramount.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hang on though - what about situations where we have a neutral ref controlling Team A v Team B, but one of his teams is in line for a semi-final berth if Team A loses?

R

rugbywhisperer

if you speak to any of the refereeing bodies they will be most emphatic that referees desion making is not influenced in any way.
As a ref i would say that would be the case 99.9% of the time, particularly when we are dealing with refs of such long and high level experience.
It just looks suss when a borderline decision goes for the refs home team.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The basic rule of staying onside with the ref is: don't piss him off! At amateur level at least. Many times I've been on a winning or losing side because some idiot decided to get verbal with the ref. The lower the level, the worse it is. The guys at the top shouldn't punish a team for one man's brain explosion, but sometimes they do.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
What's going on with the halfbacks this year? On a number of scrums the defending half has pushed his opposite as he was or was about to feed the ball into the scrum. In the Brumbies game (I think) Holmes (if it was the Brums) was short-armed by the ref for not feeding the ball when he had clearly been pushed aside when he was in the act of feeding it. Is this legal?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This also happened in the Tahs v Chiefs - Morland pushed Sheehan but I think the short-arm was for Baxter collapsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.