• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refs' Room 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mate our ref was so bad on the weekend that he missed two blatant shoulder charges, and let our replacement scrumhalf (who is usually the inside centre) feed the ball from the tighthead side :lmao:

It goes around and comes around. Our club gets the rough end a lot but we're fortunate to have the numbers at the moment to nullify the ref's effect on the game. That said, we cop a lot of cards for what I consider stupid play so what we've decided to do is get professional about our approach to player recruitment and conduct. Sure, we're not playing for sheep stations, but its not just about turning up and having a larf, especially when we're raising funds for the Kids hospital.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
Mate our ref was so bad on the weekend that he missed two blatant shoulder charges, and let our replacement scrumhalf (who is usually the inside centre) feed the ball from the tighthead side :lmao:

It goes around and comes around. Our club gets the rough end a lot but we're fortunate to have the numbers at the moment to nullify the ref's effect on the game. That said, we cop a lot of cards for what I consider stupid play so what we've decided to do is get professional about our approach to player recruitment and conduct. Sure, we're not playing for sheep stations, but its not just about turning up and having a larf, especially when we're raising funds for the Kids hospital.
Did the oppo miss the gift tighthead? That is funny.
Of course, he can't really be a 12, since all 12s are incredibly intelligent footballers and know all the nuances of all play, including the subtleties of which side to feed the scrums.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
cyclopath said:

Our tighthead prop is pretty handy and I think it took everyone by shock :)

All 12s are backs. Therefore they know nothing about scrums. End of :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
cyclopath said:

Our tighthead prop is pretty handy and I think it took everyone by shock :)

All 12s are backs. Therefore they know nothing about scrums. End of :)
That is what we would have you believe! ;)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Okay, another week and another query. Again with a free kick. Yesterday the opposition got a FK and the player tapped it, took 2 steps and potted a field goal. Forgive my ignorance but I was under the impression that the ball had to be taken into a contest before a DG could be kicked. I am sure when I studied the laws of the game years ago that this was the case, I am wrong on this one?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
Okay, another week and another query. Again with a free kick. Yesterday the opposition got a FK and the player tapped it, took 2 steps and potted a field goal. Forgive my ignorance but I was under the impression that the ball had to be taken into a contest before a DG could be kicked. I am sure when I studied the laws of the game years ago that this was the case, I am wrong on this one?

No, you are dead right. There has to be at least one phase before a DG can be attempted.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"Dropped Goal. A player scores a dropped goal by kicking a goal from a drop kick in general play. The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until the ball next becomes dead, or until an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum taken instead of a free kick."

A

andrews1

And then a northern hemisphere ref has a fantastic game and manages the best game of the tri nations by far. Who would have guessed?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
NTA said:
"Dropped Goal. A player scores a dropped goal by kicking a goal from a drop kick in general play. The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until the ball next becomes dead, or until an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum taken instead of a free kick."

Just remembered in our final against Liverpool that they tried the same thing from a short arm! There you go eh?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Liammm said:
Matt Goddard- Top bloke, top referee, I don't care what people say about him and his cards, he was a great ambassador for the ELV's and now rugby take away the laws which would have been beneficial to the game.

Was talking to a club director at Sunday's game and he told me that Goddard has health issues these days. Not quite sure what they are but got the feeling it was something quite serious and that Matt wouldnt be back refereeing.

Aside from Steve Walsh, which should be a given, which other Sydney refs will take the next steup up. Nathan Pearce already seems to be getting a bit of international exposure and I think that James Leckie is on the cusp. Apparently Angus Gardner has quite a few fans as well. James Scholtens seems to have fallen off the radar.

Interestingly, Dicko has been given the Shute Shield Final with Stevie and Nathan as his assistants (would have preferred to have seen Steve and Stewie swapped) . Leckie has been given the 2nd grade final with Angus and Steve Hardy as his assistants.

C

chief

Dicko and Walsh are two top class officials. Maybe they only chose Dicko because he has been doing Shute Shield games all year? And Walsh is only new to the fray. I take it Leckie was given second grade because he's rated number 3 official from NSW?

I'm not the biggest fan of Pearce, saw a few of his super 14 games, wasn't too impressed. Sad about Goddard, only 34 I think. Quite liked him.

Also Geoff Acton from QLD- Sad to see him off the panels now. I always thought he had class. Anyone know who Damian Mitchelmore is? Saw him refereeing the Premier Rugby Grand Final on Sunday in QLD, hadn't heard of him before. What I think is certainly promising is the large contigent of referees that are up and coming particularly in QLD. Saw a lot of school games this year, where young referees who looked no older than 25. I am also a regular premier rugby attender, and went up to Sunshine Coast for the Sunnybank clash, where i believe a new referee was having his first Prem game, and thought he had a blinder.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Liammm said:
...Leckie was given second grade because he's rated number 3 official from NSW? Anyone know who Damian Mitchelmore is?

James Leckie's the sportsmaster at Trinity Grammar and is destined for greater refereeing things. He tries to be unobtrusive in matches he refs and is mostly successful. Passes on his rulings with a gentle hand, unlike Dickinson.

Damien Mitchelmore's the rowing master at Joeys and completed a Level 3 reffing course about five or six years ago. He's also serious about rowing and took a six month sabbatical three years ago to upgrade his rowing coaching credentials at the AIS. Damien's a very quiet, good technical ref, but his quietness can be misinterpreted as coldness.

C

chief

Mitchelmore is a pretty good referee, referees in Brisbane now so I'm guessing he's based in Brisbane now, had a pretty good Premier Grade season getting the final over Geoff Acton. I thought though that there were 3 incidents which were definately card offenses that he missed out on, aside from that he was pretty good.

Leckie is pretty good, I hope he makes it big because I think he has serious talents on the referee field.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
chief said:
Mitchelmore is a pretty good referee, referees in Brisbane now so I'm guessing he's based in Brisbane...

Yer right, Chief, Damien's the rowing master at Terrace.

Didn't say goodbye to me when he left Sydney.

C

chief

Ah yes Damien referee who had the schoolboys match. Screwed a few areas up, not up to his ususal standards if you ask me. I really do hope to see him refereeing Super 14 one day. Hopefully.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Going to harp back to the Scotland game here to highlight one of the things that has been a blight on rugby for a long time.

Blockers at the side of the rucks. If you watch the game, every box kick in their territory the Scots would stick blockers on the sides of their rucks to stop anyone trying to charge down the kick. You see it from most teams in nearly every game, just that it was so obvious for me then.

I'd like to see it clamped down on. Sticking attackers offside at the ruck to protect the halfback should be penalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.