• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refs' Room 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
Does anyone know the rule concerning free kicks outside the 22? Are you allowed to kick the ball directly into touch, handing the lineout throw to the opposition where the ball crossses the line of touch or is it brought back to the point where you kick it from.

No the 'out on the full' rule still applies. So if you have a FK on half way and put it directly out, the lineout comes back to half way with the opposition put in.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
barbarian said:
Aussie D said:
Does anyone know the rule concerning free kicks outside the 22? Are you allowed to kick the ball directly into touch, handing the lineout throw to the opposition where the ball crossses the line of touch or is it brought back to the point where you kick it from.

No the 'out on the full' rule still applies. So if you have a FK on half way and put it directly out, the lineout comes back to half way with the opposition put in.
Glad the ref didn't know that yesterday as I was instructing my players to kick it out on free kicks as we were winning the opposition's lineouts. Most of our refs don't seem to know the rule boooks too well so maybe if i continue to act like I do we can still get away with it.....

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bokke v Lions, First Test:

First time the Lions got across the chalk Monye couldn't plant the pill down and was held up before a Saffer flicked the ball out of his hand and into touch-in-goal. Lawrence went upstairs and was told by the French TMO, "5 metre scrum, red feed". Lawrence triple-checked the TMO's ruling before ordering a 22m drop-out. Had Lawrence confirmed with the TJ/AR on that side Monye went into touch? Shouldn't it've been a 5m scrum to the Lions once Monye was held up? Maybe he got it right: if the ball wasn't grounded (and therefore no try) the Saffer flicked it out and a 22m restart was the correct call. Didn't look too good with the Frog TMO calling for a 5 metre scrum, red feed.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
From Rugby Heaven today

Ref's war on sanity
Did a member of The Chaser TV team sneak his way into the video referee's box in Durban last Saturday during the Springboks v British & Irish Lions Test and commandeer the microphone to cause mayhem? That is the only logical reason for this baffling conversation between referee Bryce Lawrence and a misguided French TMO over whether a Lions' try should be awarded, and if not, where play should recommence.

Lawrence: "Can you look at the grounding, and whether it's a try or no try?"
TMO: "Bryce, I have a decision. The ball was not. Touch in goal. Scrum five Red."
L: "Touch in goal here?"
TMO: "The ball doesn't touch in goal."
L: "Sorry?"
L: "OK. But it was carried in by Red?"
TMO: "Yes. Scrum five Red."
L: "Why scrum five Red, though?"
TMO: "Because the green player played the ball after, and going (garbled) . . . It's a scrum five Red."
L: "Why, though? You need to tell me why scrum five?"
TMO: "Because the green player played the ball and errrr."
L: "In the field of play, or in-goal?"
TMO: "It was in-goal."
L: "OK, it's a 22 then."

Lawrence then ran to the quarter line for the restart. What's doing?

Clear as mud.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
From Rugby Heaven today

Ref's war on sanity
Did a member of The Chaser TV team sneak his way into the video referee's box in Durban last Saturday during the Springboks v British & Irish Lions Test and commandeer the microphone to cause mayhem? That is the only logical reason for this baffling conversation between referee Bryce Lawrence and a misguided French TMO over whether a Lions' try should be awarded, and if not, where play should recommence.

Lawrence: "Can you look at the grounding, and whether it's a try or no try?"
TMO: "Bryce, I have a decision. The ball was not. Touch in goal. Scrum five Red."
L: "Touch in goal here?"
L: "Sorry?"
L: "OK. But it was carried in by Red?"
TMO: "Yes. Scrum five Red."
L: "Why scrum five Red, though?"
TMO: "Because the green player played the ball after, and going (garbled) . . . It's a scrum five Red."
L: "Why, though? You need to tell me why scrum five?"
TMO: "Because the green player played the ball and errrr."
L: "In the field of play, or in-goal?"
TMO: "It was in-goal."
L: "OK, it's a 22 then."
TMO: " Ah fart een your general deerection! Ger away, before Ah taunt yer a second time!"

Lawrence then ran to the quarter line for the restart. What's doing?

Clear as mud.
The bit you missed!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So...eye gouging. Back in vogue? And it would seem, according to the refs, no big deal?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like it - grow your nails boys, and help yourselves if you want a 10-minute break.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
On the weekend we had received a free kick about 10 out from their line and our lock was going to take a hit up. He moved to run on to the ball before it was 'tapped' and the ref gave the opposition a free kick (could have been a scrum) for him moving before the ball had been tapped. Has anyone else heard of this rule as blokes run onto the ball all the time (including several times in the same game).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
On the weekend we had received a free kick about 10 out from their line and our lock was going to take a hit up. He moved to run on to the ball before it was 'tapped' and the ref gave the opposition a free kick (could have been a scrum) for him moving before the ball had been tapped. Has anyone else heard of this rule as blokes run onto the ball all the time (including several times in the same game).

ludicrous!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Aussie D said:

If he'd been in front of the guy taking the tap, then sure. Otherwise - utter fucking bollocks from the ref

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NTA said:
Aussie D said:

If he'd been in front of the guy taking the tap, then sure. Otherwise - utter fucking bollocks from the ref

Which is what I thought. The guy has had it in for our club for years and is always a tad biased against us, IMHO, so was totally surprised.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know that just about every association is short of decent refs, but I think getting a video camera at his next adjudication of your club would be helpful once sent to the union.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Aussie D said:
NTA said:
Aussie D said:

Which is what I thought. The guy has had it in for our club for years and is always a tad biased against us, IMHO, so was totally surprised.

Aussie D - I'm a ref and I've never heard of it - there is no such offence.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NTA said:
I know that just about every association is short of decent refs, but I think getting a video camera at his next adjudication of your club would be helpful once sent to the union.
Problem is he is the boss of the local refs association. Hopefully we won't have him again this season, or ever, the latter being the preferred option.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Aussie D no problem's if your description is correct in saying that it was an incorrect decision.

Im on the ARU panel School Student Scholarship scheme so ref as well.

Where abouts do you play and if you want to PM me the blokes name I will have a look for you ...

AD

R

rugbywhisperer

Aussie D said:
NTA said:
Aussie D said:

As a level II ref and a referees coach that is utter codswallop. Its dickheads like that who do not know the laws give refs a bad name. Even defenders can move as long as they don't infringe the 10m zone.
Report him to the relevant body - they will not like it but they should refer it to the releval referee coach involved.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Aussie D said:

Interesting this was mentioned - Macquarie Uni 2nds on the weekend had a full penalty about 40m out from our line. They kicked a garryowen into our 22 rather than go for the line. Foolds.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd prefer not to report him as I don't want it to come back to haunt the club as he is the boss of the referees. It is just frustrating as we seem to get the rough end of the pineapple every week which doesn't help a struggling club. We will get there eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.