• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rnd 8: Reds v Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quite a disjointed game really :( Iwas in a state of ungrippedness throughout.

Hunt played well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well went to game, and the words 'cripple fight' comes to mind!! The Kings were pretty ordinary, their body language and effort seemed to indicate a team with not a lot of interest!! The Reds were marginally better, for them the players I thought went well were Hunt who looked like he was really trying all the time, Tuttle looks bloody good with some great skills, and George Smith won a few turnovers, though with a team putting in more effort to actually get up in support would of stopped at least 2, got me buggered why anyone thinks Kerevi is of international standard, his defence is woeful, and Kane Douglas was poor when he came on. I though an average game, with a couple of pretty average teams!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
She's 4 and a half & this is her second game - she loves it

Lol dilly, wondering if you were the one with the little girl that was manfully walking up the stairs from the buses when I was walking up to stadium, she was taking pretty big steps for someone so small!

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lol dilly, wondering if you were the one with the little girl that was manfully walking up the stairs from the buses when I was walking up to stadium, she was taking pretty big steps for someone so small!

Nah, we trained it in - mine was the one talking to everyone (you'd remember her if you saw her)

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here's my monkey... IMG_20170415_134637_047.jpg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am happy for the win but very disappointed at how hard we tried to lose at the end, there are big issues when you score that meany points and cant get a bonus point.

Loved seeing QC (Quade Cooper) back is some type of form and loved his combo with Tuttle. Some slick moves and he and Hunt seem to be forming a great combination. I have always thought people are too harsh on QC (Quade Cooper) and his defence, he was given heaps of grief over his red card tackle a few weeks ago but nobody mentioned he put on a couple of decent hits before. I hate to admit he was terrible today, just looked straight up scared of contact.

Hunt continues to be my player of the season for the Reds.

Kerevi is a concern, Cheika needs to pull him aside and given him a warning that if he does not work on becoming a better all round player then he wont get picked. He has a lot of issues that are over looked due to his positive points.

Duncan P impressed again despite the card.

My highlight which I imagine nobody else will remember is when Simmons made a clean break and had a chance to offload under massive pressure and took the ball to the ground.

How is this a highlight???? We had a player actually demonstrate what experience is meant to do to a player, he was patient and realised that a miracle ball could be dropped and it would be a missed opportunity. Well done Rob!

The over riding thought in my mind through the game tough was about player recruitment. I hope someone from the reds manages to speak to the Kings players and sound out opportunities to come to QLD if and when they fold. There is so much talent in their team and they play the type of game I think most Reds love.

I hope those in power remember who we played and where they are on the table. one win looks good on the table but does not indicate how our season has been.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Didn't manage to catch the game with the time difference, how did Stewart go when he came on for quade?

Would be great if he's at a stage where we can move on from Jake as the back up but I'd hate to see them rush him in.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Gunn has great potential . He is a player of the future . Gunn and Taefu played club rugby on the weekend and both played club well so I don't what games you bave been watching.
U r the key board warrior mate. Pathetic really.
Didn't gunn and Taefu both win a nrc title and I'm pretty sure Taefu had a shoulder recon last year so missed nrc so do you research before u comment on these boys. Gunn has major potential so does Taefu. Both young players.
Your the one with affiliation bagging out players that haven't even been playing

Are you Henry Taefu?
There certainly is a keyboard warrior on these forums...

You're obviously affiliated to Henry somehow so there is no intended insult towards him, but I will be brutality honest, and in my honest opinion Taefu isn't up to Super Rugby standard, he has played some NRC(yes I've done my research) and I've watched him at Sunnybank.. and listen, he is a very good club player, and that's no slight on him, there are plenty of good club players who won't earn get the opportunity for Super Rugby careers.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are you Henry Taefu?
There certainly is a keyboard warrior on these forums.
Lol no just a fan of the young Gunns
I really liked gunn back in the day
He did well
Just showing my support for the guys not getting a run
The game on the weekend was great to watch
It was great

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am happy for the win but very disappointed at how hard we tried to lose at the end, there are big issues when you score that meany points and cant get a bonus point.

Loved seeing QC (Quade Cooper) back is some type of form and loved his combo with Tuttle. Some slick moves and he and Hunt seem to be forming a great combination. I have always thought people are too harsh on QC (Quade Cooper) and his defence, he was given heaps of grief over his red card tackle a few weeks ago but nobody mentioned he put on a couple of decent hits before. I hate to admit he was terrible today, just looked straight up scared of contact.

Hunt continues to be my player of the season for the Reds.

Kerevi is a concern, Cheika needs to pull him aside and given him a warning that if he does not work on becoming a better all round player then he wont get picked. He has a lot of issues that are over looked due to his positive points.

Duncan P impressed again despite the card.

My highlight which I imagine nobody else will remember is when Simmons made a clean break and had a chance to offload under massive pressure and took the ball to the ground.

How is this a highlight???? We had a player actually demonstrate what experience is meant to do to a player, he was patient and realised that a miracle ball could be dropped and it would be a missed opportunity. Well done Rob!

The over riding thought in my mind through the game tough was about player recruitment. I hope someone from the reds manages to speak to the Kings players and sound out opportunities to come to QLD if and when they fold. There is so much talent in their team and they play the type of game I think most Reds love.

I hope those in power remember who we played and where they are on the table. one win looks good on the table but does not indicate how our season has been.
Duncan did impress
Him
And Samu are making a good partnership

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tuttle is looking the real deal at No 9. His passing is as good as any I've seen for a long time. Kerevi has missed a truck load of tackles in the last two matches at least, and most of them weren't difficult. Not doing himself any favours atm.

The Kings' No 6 is impressive. Has the physique of David Pocock and the running style of Michael Hooper.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tuttle is looking the real deal at No 9. His passing is as good as any I've seen for a long time. Kerevi has missed a truck load of tackles in the last two matches at least, and most of them weren't difficult. Not doing himself any favours atm.

The Kings' No 6 is impressive. Has the physique of David Pocock and the running style of Michael Hooper.
I still think keveri is wallabies material so
Him
And Duncan make a great partnership in the centres. Stick with them for the next few years

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

I remember and I think your analysis is spot on.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It was good to see us scoring points in the second half against the opposed training run that is the Southern Kings. It wasn't great seeing how many points we shipped against a team that's not even supposed to be in the competition.

Our attacking breakdown has to be one of the worst I've seen from any team, anywhere. Timing is poor (late) and body position is worse - we're just as likely to have a guy set laying sideways over the ball as we are to get a guy clearing out and staying square/on his feet to protect the ball. Sometimes we're lucky there's anybody at the breakdown at all! Ball presentation from some of the runners seemed an issue as well, getting caught sideways on the ground and presenting sloppily, etc.

Our defensive breakdown isn't much better and if George had some more support at the opportunities he latched onto he could've won 2-3 more turnovers for us (works both ways with the Kings general defensive malaise, though).

Handling still seemingly a major issue for these guys and completely killed any momentum we were building at various stages in the first half. Some incredibly dumb offloading only exacerbating the problem. I've never seen a team trying to force the offload so heavily and fucking it up so badly, so often. Just tuck the fucking ball if it's not on, this skill doesn't take much time to learn if the player has any type of vision or "feel" for contact at all.

Kicking in play still a problem - balls that need to go out not going out, not getting enough distance on exits because our forwards aren't setting properly and defenders are coming straight through onto the kicker, etc.

Defense is fucking woeful and especially so in the outside backs. Wingers were targeted pretty heavily, especially Perese early on in the match.

Overall it was nice to see the boys score points in the second half but that first half was fucking ugly and we will still get pumped by any of the decent sides playing like that. Writing the same shit every week is getting tiresome.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Handling still seemingly a major issue for these guys and completely killed any momentum we were building at various stages in the first half. Some incredibly dumb offloading only exacerbating the problem. I've never seen a team trying to force the offload so heavily and fucking it up so badly, so often. Just tuck the fucking ball if it's not on, this skill doesn't take much time to learn if the player has any type of vision or "feel" for contact at all.

I realise the game has changed over the years but many many moons ago when I played in the forwards we we taught at junior level if you dont have a clean pass then aim at the try line and run straight, at least you will get a metre.

To many times forwards believe they have to be a link man and act like a back. If nothing is happening be patient and just run straight!!!

I think our players spend too much time watching the skills of NZ forwards. We do not possess the same abilities and need to focus on being the best at what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.