• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd suggest we are in as much of a mess as at any other time a change is forced instead of being part of a succession plan.

I am also a bit over seeing the "we are No2" getting trotted out time and again. The fact remains the captitulations to various teams as well as the more standard losses show what a farce the IRB rankings system is.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Robbie is a throw back to those Japanese TV shows like Shintaro and Eager Ninja's.
His lips, facial expressions and voice all act independent of each other.
How good is it when he either forgets what he wants to say or can't think of what to say.
He gets that stupid look on his face as his lips lock, his eyes bulge, his head nods and no words are uttered.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Maybe he's not a gifted public speaker, rather than stupid? There is a difference.
Broad communication skills are critical in his role.
He's been doing this media stuff for years and it should be a core competency by now.
Wishy washy dribble doesn't cut it with professional athletes or are you saying he is completely different with the Wallaby team and individuals?
A lot of really successful coaches aren't necessarily nice guys.
Work out what you are trying to say Robbie and deliver it assertively and succinctly.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think that Robbie Deans' position, as coach of The Wallabies, is any less tenuous.
  • A loss to Samoa last year
  • A loss to Ireland in the RWC
  • A loss to Scotland
  • Winning the recent test series v Wales (although matches 2 & 3 were narrow victories)
As I have posted previously, losing to teams ranked lower in the IRB system: occasionally yes, regularly no.

If The Wallabies lose more than a handful of matches in TRC it will reinforce this matter.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Anyone noticed that Robbie has spoken in plain English in his recent interviews? His most recent being on Rugby HQ and after the Reds vs. Brumbies game. None of the previous babble about 'owning the moment etc."
When I have heard him speak publicly in the flesh he has spoken in plain English. I was always perplexed by his TV responses.

Why the change? It's coincided with JONs departure. Did the ARU previously encourage PR speak and now Robbie can speak more freely?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone noticed that Robbie has spoken in plain English in his recent interviews? His most recent being on Rugby HQ and after the Reds vs. Brumbies game. None of the previous babble about 'owning the moment etc."
When I have heard him speak publicly in the flesh he has spoken in plain English. I was always perplexed by his TV responses.

Why the change? It's coincided with JONs departure. Did the ARU previously encourage PR speak and now Robbie can speak more freely?
McCaw's book said that when Deans was clear on something, he spoke in a way that was easy to understand and agree with. When he was conflicted or against something, he couldn't really back it up and he made no sense.
Eg. Deans called McCaw out to lunch on a weekend and asked him bluntly why he should or shouldn't name him captain.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RoffsChoice Godwin's 2nd Law of G&GR: Criticism of teams. players, coaching staff, stadia, spectators, pubs or administration will only be tolerated from supporters of that team. All external attempts to do so will be met with Churchillian resistance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Spiro has this to say attributing it to R Deans:
All the selections, backs and forwards, suggested to him that the Lions would be “gain-line oriented.” He couldn’t see his opposition doing much with the ball “until they mastered the gain line.” Once this ‘gain-line rugby’ got an ascendency (if the Wallabies allowed this), once “they got behind the gain line” then they “might play some rugby.”
Their tactics, he said, would be all about “earning the right to play.”
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/05/0...e-lions-will-play-gain-line-rugby-says-deans/
There are a number of things about this quote that trouble me.
  • There is an implied criticism - at least in the way it is reported;
  • There is an implied suggestion that there is a viable game plan for rugby that is not gain line oriented - for mine if this is intended (acknowledging that Spiro's capacity to misunderstand and/or misreport increases with age) and is attributable to what Deans said it explains some of the issues we have seen for the last 5 years: what is the game plan that is viable that does not have as its primary aim getting to the gain line with every phase (if not every carry)?
  • Have the Wallabies been (deliberately) playing a style in which they do not first get to the gain line and earn the right to play? No wonder we have slipped to 3 and cannot win the Bledisloe;
  • If none of the above, and these observations accord with the fundamental aim of the Wallabies, why is this newsworthy?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the Kiwi press christened him that when got appointed: it may have something to do with the fact that we claim Crowded House and others as Australians. Unfortunately we also claim Russell Crowe.
What about that one hit wonder OMC or something who's only hit was How Bizarre?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Deans appears to be over in Japan working with Panasonic Wild Knights, semi finalists in the Top League last season.
Thats a real loss to Aus rugby. He should have been offered a coaching role for our 7s or women's or Junior team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ As good an idea that it may be to have him in those roles, I don't think that there is anything left in the cookie jar to pay what the Dingo would be expecting.

T

tranquility

Any news on what he is getting up to? Quality person, and a quality coach. Look forward to keeping an eye on his next role.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've seen him around Sydney a few times over the last 6 weeks, including yesterday If he is in Japan , it's short visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.