• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What's the correct number of players from each team we should have, for future reference?

If you were Super Rugby champs last year, you get 8. Then if you're leading the conference, you get 6. If you're coming 11th you get 5, but 2 of them have to be on the bench. Force / Rebels get 3 between them.

That's what I heard, anyway.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
picking on form doesn't work if those players don't compliment each other.
i wouldn't care if there were 12 reds in the team as long as it had balance and cohesion.
injuries have been cruel this year, but if were stuck with deans then i don't care from what teams players come, i just want him to be able to pick his best 22 that he thinks will execute his game plan so he can live or die but whatever it is that he has been trying to do the last five years

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What's the correct number of players from each team we should have, for future reference?
There are players who get picked on form and players who get picked on reputation. Many of the Waratahs are not there on form.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
problems is that deans has had no preparation time so he (and the selectors) will be biased towards thoe who have been there before

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
problems is that deans has had no preparation time so he (and the selectors) will be biased towards thoe who have been there before

he's been coaching the wallabies for 4 years. how much preparation time does he need?

there's not that many new faces in the 22 and if this was such a great concern, he shouldn't have picked players who are new to the squad.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Red I was responding to the comment that deans has picked waratahs on reputation. Do you seriously believe an international rugby team can be prepared in 4 days for a game against the 6 nation champs? You would be the second person after J'ON who believes that.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Red I was responding to the comment that deans has picked waratahs on reputation. Do you seriously believe an international rugby team can be prepared in 4 days for a game against the 6 nation champs? You would be the second person after J'ON who believes that.

I don't have a problem with the timing of the Welsh series. SA and NZ are in the same boat. Even without the Scotland test it still would have been a short turnaround.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/what-is-wrong-with-the-tahs.10787/page-26

I am a little confused... That thread would seem to indicate that the general consensus is that the tahs are very much out of sorts, unfit, lack confidence and, reading between the lines, likely to even lose their bye later in the super season.

In this thread and the wales one, the tahs are very much the form players and clearly the best players to pick to win against the northern hemisphere's best.

Two very different views in two threads a little more than a week apart.

I don't believe that the wallabies should be dominated by the reds, they are too green and have too many out injured, brumbies probably the same, but would have expected guys like shipperly and Lucas to at least make the squad (Lucas definitely on the bench). Moore should never have started against Scotland and should have started this one, clearly the best hooker. Mowen should also be playing if form is the reason for selection.

I don't have a point. Just a stream of drunken consciousness.........

Zzzzzz

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess rugby is a team game, and while certain individuals can be playing well the team can be not performing.
Being a team game, one would think some thought would be given to how the picked players would complimement each other and a game plan. Not too evident in the selections made for this match against wales tbh.

Edit: waiting to be proved wrong on Saturday though and will be first to admit it (pending me getting home from the game early enough of course :p)

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not sure what his will is either. Those who are saying it's not right for Australia to have a foreign coach may be right in the respect that it's a bridge too far to span the differences in rugby philosophy. Australia plays the game differently from NZ, for sure. Like you say, it's the wild inconsistancy that is a concern. Tri Nations champs but unable to prepare properly for a warm-up test against Scotland the very next year. It looks like a management issue that RD and the ARU have to share the blame for.

Being Tri Nation champs in a year when the two other opposition teams were more concerned with a little event following it, the RWC, doesn't mean you deserve a place at the top of the rankings. You have to earn it and fight to keep it. Scotland could have won it last year if they had played in Australia's place.

I have read numerous posts that reference being 3N champs. I have to say we really did not care losing that particular series and I know at least some SA supporteers felt the same. There were bigger fish to fry. SA and NZ were clearly aiming at bigger events, trying new combos, trying new moves, giving game time to back up players, whereas Robbie threw everything he had at the 3N. He was desperate to win something and could have, should have done something similar.

In saying that, it is still crap timing to play Scotland when they did. Wouldn't happen here.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So lets posit what Deans should have decided to do when the Scottish game was announced:
  1. Make the first two games of the international season quasi trials.
  2. Choose the squad so that there are enough players in it to have completely different starting teams for Scotland and Wales 1.
  3. For Scotland, choose only Reds and Force players to start. Try to not choose too many bench players from other squads unless they didn't play the weekend before.
  4. For Wales 1, choose only Tahs, Brumbies and Rebels to start with minimal bench players from the other squads.
  5. Choose the best team available for Wales 2 & 3.
Advantages: Strengthen the depth of the Wallaby squad.
Disadvantages: May lose the first two tests.

Given we are already at one loss with another one likely on Saturday is this such a big disadvantage?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I can now understand Deans' dilemma immediately after the Scotland test. He never, never thought, even in his wildest imaginings, that his team would lose.
Two thoughts would have occurred to him there & then as a result:
a) the Wallabies will be much more vulnerable to being defeated by the Welsh
b) and as a result of the loss to Scotland & (a), he in turn is suddenly very vulnerable to being suddenly shown the door (a la Eddy Jones).
This to me explains why he looked like a stunned mullet at the coach's interview last Tuesday night.
Admittedly the ARU board needs to share some of the blame for the scheduling resulting in lack of training preparation & player rest.
I notice there doesn't seem to be any support publicly from JON (read ARU board) for the coach's predicament.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Edit: waiting to be proved wrong on Saturday though and will be first to admit it (pending me getting home from the game early enough of course :p)

Pride swallowed. Just chowing down on some humble pie right now. I was wrong. Spectacularly, epically, beautifully wrong.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Don't kid yourself it was a master class in coaching. there were once again serious frailties in Deans selections and tactics for this game.

No proper reserve lock, Sharpe played on with a smashed face until he was forced to send Dennis on.

Not sending the reserves on until 10 minutes after Wales make changes, costing us 10 points in 10 minutes. Despite having a clearly tired TPN and Palu struggling along.

The Wallabies were lucky that Wales didn't play smarter. After Ben Alexander came on the scrum was getting dominated (and he still didn't send Palmer on for Kepu). Mike Phillips taking quick taps after we gave away penalties was dumb. They were also winning the lineout battle. If they had kicked to the corners for the last 15 and scrummed against us in our 22 we would have been in trouble.

The boys played well, but Wales played into our hands.

Reactions: ACR

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I did wonder as I typed that. I thought he was still in the 22.

Though that raises a question as well. Robinson is usually an 80 minute player and Kepu a 60. I can't remember, did he shift Kepu to the LH side and bring Alexander onto the TH? That is something Robbie would likely do.

Status
Not open for further replies.