• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
But the Reds players weren't picked in the test side and the excuse was they weren't the best players in their position. And here we are again now with 2 teams in good form being told the same thing. 5 players from the Reds and Brumbies points to something wrong in the selection process. Even allowing for the fact that our first full strength squad won't be picked until next week.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Why is that an excuse? Of course you should pick the best players in their position for a national side, anything else is just parochial fantasy, of which plenty seems to abound.

Out of the Tahs picked, I could only see you quibble with one at the moment - Horne.

Hats off to the White and McKenzie regimes which have gotten so much out of the teams they have. That doesn't mean you then slavishly take those players (allocated by points on table presumably???) and shove them in a national team.

This talk is some of the craziest I've seen on G&GR for quite a while - apologies you bore the brunt Sully, but it was the first I saw this morning!

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
And you also said he was a Kiwi, which I am pretty sure is public knowledge; what does RD being a Kiwi have to do with this conversation, really?
No need to reply. I've moved on.

no probs...
call me old fashioned but I am still one of the breed that believes when you play or coach for YOUR country, you do so with more ticker when it actually IS your country, so in my mind it does matter a lot that Deans is not Australian. You might not give a rats arse which countries out international coaches come from; I do.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The New South Wales Waratahs star was steadfast in his support of Deans, and said all the players are behind the former Crusaders coach.
"Robbie’s done a great job," Polota-Nau said.
"There’s nothing wrong with his coaching at all. If anything, he’s made us better players.

Really in what ways TPN? I have seen zero improvement in performance from any individual apart from a couple of stars maturing, JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper). Nobody elese has played better under Deans and overall team play has fallen from the moderate levels of Knuckles and the League style of Jones.

"No, nothing’s changed much," Polota-Nau said on The Rugby Club, when asked if the Wallabies will play a more complex game plan.
"The simplicity is still there.
"It’s also (about) making the most of the opportunities.
"We got into the attacking territory against Scotland but didn’t make the most of it, and against Wales that’s our focus."

So we can look forward to seeing one off runners receiving the ball flat footed, sluggishly "attacking" the defensive line of Wales one or two off the ruck, barely making the gain line. We can look forward to the backline passing the ball anywhere but in front of a player moving at pace to attack the defence (not barge into the defender) with other players working hard in support to provide offload options or heaven forbid a set move.

From Foxsports. http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...n-for-wales-test/story-e6frf55l-1226388910986

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Mate in all honesty, from interviews I have given in the past about my bosses I said, "Mate, no comment." I won't spout bullshit for anybody. Tell the truth or dont speak.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
So we can look forward to seeing one off runners receiving the ball flat footed, sluggishly "attacking" the defensive line of Wales one or two off the ruck, barely making the gain line. We can look forward to the backline passing the ball anywhere but in front of a player moving at pace to attack the defence (not barge into the defender) with other players working hard in support to provide offload options or heaven forbid a set move.

From Foxsports. http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...n-for-wales-test/story-e6frf55l-1226388910986

So it is now a matter of fucked up pride. Plan doesn't' work, then keep doing it till it does. We'll kick the pill back to the Welsh and they'll shred us. Oh dear me, what a long night of gloom for the boyo's cause next time we get ball, we'll kick it straight back to them and they'll shred us.

That'll fuck em'!!

M

Muttonbird

It really hasn't worked has it? Some famous wins over the Boks and AB's and currently (and for always) Tri-Nations champs but the inconsistancy is a worry. It's like Deans and the ARU are not on the same page. Having an NZ philosophy toward the game I think, privately, Deans would be horrified at dropping matches to Scotland and Samoa but he's not been able to fully impress his will upon the Aus rugby structure.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just because TPN says positive comments about Deans doesn't mean he actually thinks that. That's why I hate those questions, what's he suppose to say? "I think Deans is shithouse coach, it's all his fault, he doesn't know shit"

Qwerty, spot on and of course. I'd also argue that, with no disrespect to our good players, players are not automatically great assessors of what constitutes excellence in their coaching. Playing and coaching: very different skills. These men are terrific rugby athletes, not necessarily analysts of all aspects of the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mate in all honesty, from interviews I have given in the past about my bosses I said, "Mate, no comment." I won't spout bullshit for anybody. Tell the truth or dont speak.

He was interviewed on The Rugby Club not asked by a journo privately for his comments

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Deans would be horrified at dropping matches to Scotland and Samoa but he's not been able to fully impress his will upon the Aus rugby structure.

And what is that will? He's been head coach for nigh on 5 years (we didn't have these regular shock horror losses before him) and is now on his 3rd iteration of coaching support staff. He's also the chief selector.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I must have missed you being a international sportsman.

Cloud cuckoo land

Oh you are clever aren't you.:rolleyes:

You of course have never been asked to publicly comment about your organisation/individuals before? Of course not. How about you follow your own rules Mr Mod.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Didn't realise you were such a delicate flower.

Aside from the impracticalities of a professional athlete who's career depends on one man picking him, dropping the "no comment" verbal turd isn't exactly 'one in all in' team spirit, is it? I remember the treatment Matt Giteau got when he decided to go outside the camp.

You of course have never been asked to publicly comment about your organisation/individuals before? Of course not. How about you follow your own rules Mr Mod.

You've lost me

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Attn. Scarfman......... at the start of this thread you mentioned that Dingo Deans "didn't drink". One present I was given for my 21st birthday was a plaque to hang in my bar with the inscription: "Never trust a man who doesn't drink"! This was given to me by a much-loved uncle who was an alcoholic!! Same applies to ("weird") Wayne Bennett, a non-drinker: he has never coached an NRL team that hasn't exceeded (read "rorted") the salary-cap, and whilst he was taking "contributions" of $100,000 each year for 10 years from Qld mining magnate, Ken Talbott, he was pleading with his (Broncos) players to accept a "pay cut", for the good of the club! What a grub!........ Please don't say that this is yet another of my 'defamatory posts'!!!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Why is that an excuse? Of course you should pick the best players in their position for a national side, anything else is just parochial fantasy, of which plenty seems to abound.

Out of the Tahs picked, I could only see you quibble with one at the moment - Horne.

Hats off to the White and McKenzie regimes which have gotten so much out of the teams they have. That doesn't mean you then slavishly take those players (allocated by points on table presumably???) and shove them in a national team.

This talk is some of the craziest I've seen on G&GR for quite a while - apologies you bore the brunt Sully, but it was the first I saw this morning!
Mate if they were the 7 best players in their positions the waratahs wouldn't be in 11th and they wouldn't have lost 5 in a row.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
From John Connolly:-

Former Wallabies coach John Connolly has called for a complete review of Australian rugby if Robbie Deans's vulnerable team lose their three-Test series with Wales.
The battle between the Six Nations and Tri-Nations champions kicks off on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium with coach Deans on shaky ground and the Welsh justifiably confident of ending their 42-year drought down under.
But rather than wanting successor Deans to be made a scapegoat, 2007 World Cup coach Connolly said a series defeat should spark a broad national review of how the code is being governed by the Australian Rugby Union.

Connolly feels Deans could be axed immediately if the Welsh triumph but said that would paper over the cracks of more significant deep-rooted problems.

Deans has been handed a recipe for disaster this month with poor scheduling a big factor in the midweek loss to Scotland in Newcastle plus injuries to creative sparks Quade Cooper, Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor.

But a 33-23-1 win-loss-draw record - only marginally better than Eddie Jones' rate of 57 per cent when he was sacked in 2005 - including the 9-6 upset loss to Scotland, controversial selections and Australia's turgid play during last year's World Cup has critics calling for his head.

"The last four years has been the worst in the professional era for Australia," said Connolly.

"If they lose this series to Wales there should be a review of the game.

"There's a whole myriad of issues that we have to look at."

Connolly listed the poor performances of Australia's Super Rugby teams, with only the Brumbies in the top six, poor player management and development, Matt Giteau's 2011 non-selection and the Wallabies win-loss record as worrying issues.

He labelled the ARU's decision to send the Wallabies on a short spring tour after the 2011 World Cup as "crazy" and "stupid", as well as the scheduling of the mid-week Scotland clash.

"It just has to show how out of touch some of the people are that are running the game," said Connolly.

"The more rugby you play the more injuries you get, and the more injuries you get the more it tests your depth."

Connolly endured an acrimonious relationship with ARU supremo John O'Neill before his two-year Wallabies contract expired in late 2007, and also threatened to sue O'Neill for defamation over comments in an internal email.

He unsurprisingly said the ARU made a mistake by dumping Gary Flowers as chief executive five years ago.

Connolly argued a coaching change - citing Super Rugby-winning Queensland mentor Ewen McKenzie as the only legitimate contender - could only happen before the four-nation Rugby Championship starts in August due to the heavy touring schedule from then until December.

But it wouldn't be an easy transition, particularly with three new Wallabies assistant coaches appointed by the Australian Rugby Union and McKenzie likely to want his own people.

"If there's going to be a change there it's going to be after the Wales series," Connolly said.

A critic of the decision to appoint a foreigner in 2008, Connolly was highly critical of Deans's dumping of Giteau last year after the shock Samoa loss.

He said Australia showed a worrying lack of smarts in the rain-swept upset against the Scots and would struggle to overcome one of the best Welsh sides to tour in 40 years with mentally and physically-drained troops.

"Scotland didn't win that Test, Australia lost it," Connolly said.

"This a challenge for Robbie and Wales won't be a pushover."

M

Muttonbird

And what is that will? He's been head coach for nigh on 5 years (we didn't have these regular shock horror losses before him) and is now on his 3rd iteration of coaching support staff. He's also the chief selector.
I'm not sure what his will is either. Those who are saying it's not right for Australia to have a foreign coach may be right in the respect that it's a bridge too far to span the differences in rugby philosophy. Australia plays the game differently from NZ, for sure. Like you say, it's the wild inconsistancy that is a concern. Tri Nations champs but unable to prepare properly for a warm-up test against Scotland the very next year. It looks like a management issue that RD and the ARU have to share the blame for.

P

Paradox

Gnostic, you were being rather harsh on TPN. He did the right thing by being diplomatic and not causing (more) divisions within camp Wallaby.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Mate if they were the 7 best players in their positions the waratahs wouldn't be in 11th and they wouldn't have lost 5 in a row.

What's the correct number of players from each team we should have, for future reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.